Quick Getaway to Mt. Baldy

Okay. Before anything else, let’s get this stuff out of the way. If you happen to stumble upon my website, you’re probably wondering who I am and why I started a travel blog. Yes, it’s a known fact a million travel blogs exist out there. As cheesy as it may sound, I’ve finally gathered enough courage to follow my dreams.  Travelling is one of my passions but not having an endless supply of funds doesn’t help my cause at all. I had two options either to stay at home and rage against having to work behind a desk that barely pays my bills or to find affordable ways to feed my wanderlust nature. I choose the latter.

A few weeks ago, my friend asked me to go to the mountains with her. I was hesitant, considering this was right after the holidays and my budget of $40 didn’t amount to much in the greater scheme of things. Somehow we got lucky and found a decent deal for Mt. Baldy. It was $20 each for a roundtrip lift ticket with an hour and a half of tubing.  A day trip was completely within our budget. We live in LA which means it was just an hour away with traffic. Once we reached Mt. Baldy, we arrived a little before 8 am. I have to warn you, be early or deal with extremely long lines and don’t dare use the portable toilets even if your life depended on it. Trust me. They do have restrooms right before the stairs heading to the ski lift.

Okay, let’s talk about their ski lifts. Is it just me or does Goliath roller coaster at Six Flags seem more bearable than going through those 15 minutes of pure chairlift terror? It completely stops midway with at least 20 mph of howling wind. And at around 7200 ft. with nothing beneath us, the staff asked us to lift the bar up leaving us with absolutely no protection if we happen to fall off to the ends of the earth. Somehow we survived the traumatizing ordeal. Yay!

image1

The tubing experience itself was fun. A lot of people complained about having to drag the snow tube back up the hill. It didn’t bother me at all. It helps to have snow pants. They do keep you warm. I use Arctix and please note that sizes tend to run bigger which I prefer because I wear thermal underneath my snow pants. It’s lightweight and not too bulky and has additional pockets. The boot zippers are convenient for easy access.

DISCLOSURE: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure. Check out the link below.

Arctix Women’s Insulated Snow Pant, Black, X-Small/Regular

The glow in the dark telescoping forks is also awesome for roasting hotdogs or marshmallows for camping expeditions. This is from Cost Plus World Market. Please see full Disclosures

Also, please check out Groupon for any Mt. Baldy deals

The temperature started to drop by late afternoon. Luckily, my friend brought a pocket stove and pot with her, boiled water and made hot chocolate. We topped it off with marshmallows and ate beef jerky for the win. It ended up being an enjoyable day in the mountains and within our budget. Even if it was only a day trip, it was enough to energize us for the week ahead.

img_3250-1

1. Jen says:

Love your adventurous spirit! It reminds me of my much younger days when I travelled through Europe on a budget so tight we at one point were eating oatmeal made with just hot water from a sink! Travel gives memories no one can take away….enjoy!!

Thank you! Yes, you learn so much from the experience. Lol, we survive with power bars during long hikes 😂 I hope that I could get to travel Europe someday!

2. T. R. Noble says:

I’ve never really been into travel blogs before, but yours is very enjoyable. Your pictures are beautiful, and I always enjoy reading tips, though that’s an odd thing to enjoy haha. I can’t believe you had no bar for protection!!!

Hi! Thanks so much for your kind words. Well, there was a bar but it wasn’t much and maybe I’m just a scaredy cat – but they asked us to raise it before we got to the end so that kind of traumatized me.😂 Also, I really like nature and the national parks – affordable to visit and it’s more like just bring your own food and go with 1 or 2 people- split everything save money 😊…I’m looking forward to reading more from your blog as well. 😊

1. T. R. Noble says:

Thank you, I saw your like on my second blog Peeking Beneath The Rock, and I always like checking out anyone’s blog who likes my posts. I think it’s great you work with a budget and write about because a lot of people have to work with one. So many people love traveling, and your blogs are beautiful. : )

Yeah – I try to read as much as I can when I have down time. These blogs are replacing my huge backlogs of novels 😂 Again, thank you for your kind words. I’m glad that even if you don’t read much travel blogs you found mine interesting enough 😊

3. T. R. Noble says:

Oh definitely! I may not be an avid traveler, but I love nature. You definitely share the beauty of your travels, and I’m very grateful for that. : ) I know what you are talking about with the reading! I’ve been going between my novels and certain blogs I’m trying to catch up on.

3. Doni W says:

Nice! Thanks so much for the follow back 🙂

Thanks 😊

4. The chair lifts. No. I’m sorry. I don’t even like roller coasters. Looks like something the people of “Final Destination” should consider.

I know it was really scary! 😕

5. eliza rudolf says:

Nice post…🙂🤗

6. I really love the travel blog. There’s so much to see out there, I’m sure my wife and I will never get to all of it, but we’re giving it our very best effort. Thanks for the follow. Keep traveling and keep writing!

Thank you! Yes, so little time so many places to visit. I won’t get to see them
      all either but I’ll try my best as well. Happy Travels! 😊

7. Hi Bel fantastic job starting a blog to record and share your experiences. It sounds like you may have already found this but if not check out Tim Ferris and his book the 4 hour work week.

Hello! Thanks for your kind words. Let me check out the Tim Ferris book – I haven’t read it yet. I appreciate the recommendation. 😊

8. Thank you for checking out my (newest) first blog. I am excited to have run across yours as a result! I am thrilled that you have chosen to blog about your travels vs. Desk Job. I am with you on those sentiments and it is exactly the path I have been exploring myself. I am in love with adventuring and appreciate your amazing photos and shared experiences!

You are welcome! Well, obviously I am struggling 😂 But nothing in this life comes easy and we do the best we can to follow our dreams right? I am excited that you are exploring it as well and I am hopeful and positive that we are able to find a way to make it possible 😊

9. Your blog is just a beautiful place to visit. Keep sharing such travelogues and more than that, these very beautiful images! Enjoyed my time in here!

Thank you for taking to read my blog. It is truly appreciated. Maybe you could add all these places to your travel list! 😊

1. If I get a chance, I definitely will!

10. 1Wise-Woman says:

Hi! I’m not much of a snow person but put me and my mountain bike on that lift in the summer!! So fun, and yes, I have biked down that mountain, among others. 🙂

I wish I had a mountain bike! I do have a road bike which isn’t as daring as mountain biking but still super fun. 😊

11. It’s a nice post. So glad you started a blog. Great photo.

Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed it. 😊

12. acflory says:

As someone who’s terrified of heights, just looking at the photos of the chairlift made my hair stand on end, but I did enjoy the post. Way to go. 🙂

Yes, I was really scared. Thanks for reading my blog.

13. da AL says:

thanks much for visiting my blog – especially as its led me to your lovely site 🙂

You’re welcome 😊 I’m glad you liked my blog as well as I liked yours 😊