Day Trip to Valley of Fire State Park

Every time I step into a national or state park, a wave of excitement hits me. I have this thing for rocks in general, and The Rock (but I’m straying from the topic). Valley of Fire has been on my list for a while now. It’s only an hour away from Las Vegas and definitely worth the drive. The entrance fee is $10 which goes towards the maintenance and preservation of the park. The area is approximately 42,000 acres and filled with awe-inspiring sandstone formations from millions of years ago.

rock-formation

There is something quite humbling being in the presence of untainted beauty. It gives a more balanced perspective on life, nourishes your soul and strips you down to the bare essentials. I call it free therapy. There are several points of interest throughout Valley of Fire. The 4 hiking trails are between 3/4 mile to 1.5 miles long. Each trail will take you an hour or less depending on distance. The visitor center usually has an exhibit and will provide you with all the information you need about the park especially if you would like to go camping.

path

There is a metal staircase that leads to the cool Petroglyphs which, unfortunately, are somewhat covered by graffiti. Yes, it’s sad that someone would vandalize a great piece of history. However, the panoramic view from the top is stunning.

panoramic

Just a few tips before you go.

1. Please make sure to have a full tank of gas before entering the park.
2. Bring lots of bottled water – if you’re hiking.
3. Bring and use the sunscreen

Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you.

4. Make sure you have a first-aid kit in case of emergency. Please see link below from Target. Read my Target Affiliate Disclosure

5. I highly recommend good hiking shoes. The one I use is the Merrell Women’s Moab Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot. The soles have a good grip for different kinds of harsh terrain. I had to run down from a steep hill once because I thought I was being chased by a coyote. I didn’t slip at all. It’s comfortable and protects my ankles. Please check my Amazon Affiliate Disclosure

Merrell Women’s Moab Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot,Grey/Periwinkle,7 M US

So, what are you waiting for? Book your next trip to Valley of Fire State Park now.

Hotwire

Expedia
Expedia.com

Booking.com

OneTravel.com
“Grab Our Best Flight Deal!Get up to $20 off with promo code OT20 Book Now”

Full Disclosures

1. tachynoll says:

I also like this state park. Quite close to Las Vegas, it provides a good one-day trip.

I agree it is truly a gem and a great getaway from Vegas 😊

2. Blue Settia says:

Yikes! At least you are prepared.

Lol! Yes…😊

3. Blue Settia says:

Absolutely beautiful. Wow. You seem to travel a lot. That’s amazing.
    I bet traveling/hiking with a First Aid kit comes in handy! Just like you mentioned. Inspiring post.

Thank you! Yes, it does come in handy my friend actually tripped while taking a picture and her knee hit the rock real hard…the rugged terrain are as beautiful as they are dangerous…

4. adventurousblisss says:

looks like a good hike! I will be sure to add this to my list. thanks so much

It is! I’m sure you’ll love it ❤

5. Interesting post, BEL. Thanks for sharing. 🙂 — Suzanne

Thanks for taking time to read it Suzanne 😊

6. I wish I’d had the time and means to visit this park. I took a helicopter ride while I was in Vegas and the pilot told me I should definitely go see the Valley of Fire. It was too far off his course for him to take me, but the next time I’m out west, I plan to see this for myself.

You definitely should because it’s really worth it. I’m positive you’ll love it. 🙂

7. I love your blog name! So witty. 😀

Oh wow thanks for the compliment! 😊

8. dunelight says:

I love the Valley of Fire. How in the world did you get to the place where you make commissions from people using your links to buy things?

Enquiring minds…

It’s an affiliate program. When you befome an affiliate you directly link with online websites and get a small commission if someone buys using my links. It’s really not much to be honest but I have to start somewhere to follow my dreams. 😊

1. dunelight says:

Thanks for the reply. 🙂

You’re welcome 😊

9. I love the photos. My daughter and her husband just went to Mt. Zion to do canyoning, rock climbing. They took rock climbing classes before the trip. They took some stunning photos also. She brought back a brochure of photography tours. It look interesting, and require certain photography equipments.

Yeah, I’ll be writing about the Utah State parks in the next few weeks. Zion is gorgeous. For the photography tours they require a dslr and different lenses. But some tours will allow you to use your phone or the point and shoot- I do suggest the wide lenses for the slr camera. Rock climbing and canyoneering sounds fun especially in Zion. I should try that myself next time. Thanks!

1. We took a bus tour to yellowstone and passed by many parks. There are so many parks to visit.

There are a lot of parks to visit and not enough time! I’m glad you are able to enjoy it with your family. 😊

3. Yes, we went on 3 or 4 bus tours with family visiting from out of state.

10. JC says:

Thanks for stopping by my site. I love your photography… jc

I’m glad you liked it. Thanks for taking time to read my blog. 😊

11. Anabel Marsh says:

We visited here on our way back to Las Vegas from Zion and Bryce on one of our US road trips. It’s fabulous. Thanks for visiting The Glasgow Gallivanter.

It is really fabulous. ❤

12. Timelesslady says:

I love rocks and stones of all kinds. I don’t know if I will ever venture west…I usually go South, Jamaica and San Andres Island my furthest jaunts from home. So….I love seeing photos like yours. Thanks.

Thank you for your kind comment. I plan to make National Parks the heart and soul of my blog. I hope you will like my other pictures as well when I post them in the future. 😊 South Jamaica and San Andres Island sound really nice too. I will have to add it to my list.

1. Timelesslady says:

I will check back…thanks!

13. Anne Sandler says:

I’ve been there and it’s well worth it. Also try Red Rock Canyon.

I’ve been to Red Rock! It’s not as nice as Valley of Fire but I do like it. Thanks for commenting! 😊

14. ralietravels says:

Great to see your pictures. We were there just under a year ago and also loved it.

Thanks! Yeah, it’s really a hidden gem. 😊

15. Moz Loordes says:

Looks fabulous, Bel. It’s one of the places I’d love to visit if I ever travel out to the west.

It is and you should definitely include it in your list 😊

16. This was a nice and informative post. We know what you mean about feeling a wave excitement coming over you with State and National parks. We are beginning to feel that too. The fee is most often worth it. It is sad as you said to see people defacing them with graffiti and litter. I can’t for the life of me understand why people feel they can just throw their garbage off to the side of a trail or carve something in a 100 year old tree or paint their initials on a rock formation. This is a place we need to add to our growing list of places to see.

Thank you for taking time to read my blog and sharing your thoughts about our National Parks as well. Please visit Valley of Fire…it’s not as huge as the other Parks but really stunning. You won’t be disappointed and please share with me your experience when you do – or write about it as well. 😊

1. Thank you for the suggestions. We grow in where we want to go on our adventures from those previously traveled by others. We’ll definitely write about them.

17. exoticnita54 says:

Great 👍..
    good job 👏..

I do much like to learn about places that I had no idea 💡 about…

It’s always so good 😊 to be informed. And you even gives a description which is so Kool..

I know I love the outdoors. I’m glad you found the information useful and hopefully share with me your experience with the Parks you visit as well. 😊

1. exoticnita54 says:

I did.. find it very informative..
        you are so welcome.

Sadly.. I don’t get around as much to be able to visit these amazing parks