The Getty Center in Black & White

The Getty Center is one of the famous art museums in Los Angeles. You’ll find it perched on top of the hill. The view from the top is spectacular during daytime and especially at night. If you’re visiting Los Angeles, this museum should be on your list. The architecture is quite modern with open spaces and a well-maintained garden.

Did I also mention that admission is free? You do have to pay for parking which is $15 but totally worth it. They have an extensive array of artworks. The list of current exhibitions can be found on their website and are quite impressive. I recommend 2 full days to appreciate everything the museum has to offer.

I’ve been to The Getty Center quite a few times and the last time I went I came prepared with a 35mm film SLR camera. If I could afford it, I’d probably be sticking to film for life. Unfortunately, digital is the more affordable and convenient option.

Below are the pictures that were taken with the vintage Minolta X-700.

Autosave-File vom d-lab2/3 der AgfaPhoto GmbH

Autosave-File vom d-lab2/3 der AgfaPhoto GmbH

Autosave-File vom d-lab2/3 der AgfaPhoto GmbHAutosave-File vom d-lab2/3 der AgfaPhoto GmbHAutosave-File vom d-lab2/3 der AgfaPhoto GmbH

I love taking pictures but I’m definitely not an expert. However, if you feel a little bit nostalgic and want to take out your old film camera that’s lying somewhere in your closet and have some fun with it like I did. Go for it!

I bought mine (2nd hand) a long time ago. The Minolta X-700 is the last manual focus camera they released more than 20 years ago and still has rave reviews. If you’re interested in the camera and the black and white film I used please check out the links below.

Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please check my Amazon Affiliate Disclosure.

These are all 2nd hand. Minolta discontinued this product a long time ago.

Minolta X-700 Camera without Flash
Minolta X-700 35mm Film SLR with Minolta MD 50mm 1:2 Manual Focus Lens
Minolta X-700 with flash
MINOLTA X700 35 MM CAMERA WITH FLASH
Black & White Film
Ilford 1574577 HP5 Plus, Black and White Print Film, 35 mm, ISO 400, 36 Exposures

Please read full Disclosures

1. love the pictures!!!

Thank you!!

2. Odell says:

Well I really enjoyed studying it. This information procured by you is very practical for proper planning.

3. Marshmallow says:

Awesome pictures! I love the Getty, I go hiking around there!

Thanks! Yeah…Getty is really amazing. 😊

4. wilforbis says:

Great photos! I used to live in L.A. and spent many hours at the Getty.

It never gets old! The Getty is one of my favorite museums. Thank you! 😊

5. Black and white photography has a quality too it that you just can’t achieve with color. Very nice.

Thank you. I totally agree with the quality of black and white. It just stands out because you focus on the beauty and composition of the picture. 😊

1. I have always referred it as an artform. Color has it’s place, I don’t deny that.

6. neilirving says:

Great post and pictures, reminds me I need to have a black and white day again soon, this was our last one, a overcast autumn Sunday morning walk https://neilirving73.wordpress.com/2016/12/11/sunday-morning-walk/

Thanks! Yeah, black and white is classic. 😊

7. Beautiful pictures simply remain the prime highlight of this blog. These were black and white, but yet beautiful!

I know black & white film will beat digital photos for me anytime. Thank you!

8. artemisdelmar says:

Your photos are exquisite!

Thank you! The film pics are still my favorite.

9. camparigirl says:

Love those photos. Worked at the Getty Center for 8 years and I have wonderful memories! LA is a wondrous place where you can do quite a bit on a budget. A fun museum (and totally free) is the Hammer in Westwood.

It’s awesome you worked at the Getty for 8 years. I agree there’s so much to explore in LA. I have to check out Hammer in Westwood. Thanks for the tip! 😊

10. YellowCable says:

I really like the place. It is definitely a place to go when you are in LA. I have the picture of the little creek as well. I think that is a cool spot to take a picture.

Yeah there are really lots of cool spots there to take a picture. Love Getty!

Thank you so much! I was actually surprised that it came out decent. 😊

12. rothpoetry says:

Wow! What great photos. I used to develop black and white film many years ago! Did not know anyone was still into it. You did a great job!!
    Dwight

13. My husband and I went. It was a pleasant visit. We only had time to go to one exhibit. But the garden is so beautiful. I did a post also with color photos. Thank you for stopping by and follow. Keep in touch.

Oh I’ll check your post about the Getty then. Yes, one day isn’t enough because the museum is huge! I’m glad you liked the garden – really nice! 😊

1. I can’t remember the title of my post. I need to organize my older posts!!

14. Definitely looks like a great place to visit!

Yes please do! You’ll love it.❤

15. Have always wanted to visit this in L.A. Love how your photos evoke that old Hollywood feel.

Thank you. Yeah, LA is so different now that it’s nice to be reminded of how it used to be…😊