Wild About Arches (National Park)

“Slice of life becomes part of the mosaic of your times” – Charles Champlin

I desperately needed a break from life. I wanted something extraordinary and felt visiting Moab would be the perfect vacation. It took us close to 12 hours of driving to get there. It should have been 11 hours but we got sidetracked with the Spotted Wolf Canyon on the way. Who wouldn’t be distracted with this canyon? It’s absolutely stunning.

img_9199-1
Spotted Wolf Canyon

You know those rare moments where reality is better than your dreams? I knew from the second I stepped into Arches National Park it was the beginning of a new adventure. My writing won’t do justice for the beautiful yet terrifyingly rugged terrain still stuck in my mind like jammed staples in a stapler

fullsizerender-1
Road to Arches

We arrived a little before sunset thinking we’d have enough time to see the Delicate Arch. In our excitement, we attempted to hike it at night and ended up getting lost. It was completely dark and unless you have the right equipment, extremely foolish to even try to do the 3-mile round trip hike. We decided to come back the next day and was totally blown away by this free standing arch. Is this even real? I never even thought anything this beautiful existed. Seriously.

img_9308
Delicate Arch

After leaving the Delicate Arch. We drove to Devil’s Garden. Here you will find seven different arches. The Landscape Arch, Tunnel Arch, Pine Tree Arch, Partition Arch, Navajo Arch, Double O Arch, and Dark Angel Arch. The loop is approximately 8 miles. I found the hike to be difficult. Someday I’ll be back to conquer Devil’s Garden loop.

img_9332
Devil’s Garden Trail
img_9334
Landscape Arch

The Windows hiking trail is my personal favorite because you can see several arches at once and the terrain is pretty easy. If you have an SLR camera, bring your ultra wide lenses or take a panoramic picture from your phone. The arches are spectacular.  The time I spent here will always hold a special place in my heart.

img_9444
Double Arch
img_0185
Turret Arch

Here are just a few of my tips if you plan on visiting Moab.

1. Bring lots of drinking water and food. The park is huge and you don’t want to waste your time leaving the park to buy food.

2. Bring your own trash bag/napkins/paper towels. Wear a cap and put sunscreen on.

3. Make sure you have a full tank of gas before you enter the park. You need a minimum of 2 full days to explore the park.

4. Don’t leave the map in the car especially if you plan to go on hiking trails.

5. Get good hiking boots. This is a requirement because you’ll be hiking a lot.

Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure

For Men
Merrell Men’s Moab FST Mid Waterproof Hiking Shoe, Noire, 10 M US

For Women
Merrell Women’s Moab Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot, Grey/Periwinkle, 9.5 W US

6. If you plan to hike at night use a headlamp. It’s better to leave your hands free while hiking instead of holding a flashlight.

Headlamp
GRDE Zoomable 3 Modes Super Bright LED Headlamp with Rechargeable Batteries, Car Charger, Wall Charger and USB Cable

If you’re ready to book your next vacation. Check out the following deals below. Please don’t hesitate to message/contact me for additional information or if you have questions. Please read full Disclosures

Hotwire

Priceline
priceline.com for the best deals in travel!

Expedia
See All Daily Package Deals on Expedia!

Hotels.com
Save big on hotels while you explore the beauty of America’s parks!

Booking.com

Travelocity
Find the best flight deals starting as low as $51 with Travelocity!

1. Stephanie S. says:

Great tips! I love Arches / Moab, but I love it even more when there aren’t hordes of people there 🙂

We were so lucky because when we went there it wasn’t too crowded! 😊❤️

2. So beautiful!!!!
    Check out my page if you have a chance.
    destinationglam.wordpress.com

Thank you! Will do 😊👍

3. Nick Rosso says:

Not nearly as beautiful as these arches, but you may want to check out the Twin Arches in Tennessee. They are one of the most natural structures in TN, definitely worth a visit if your in the Midwest!

Hi, Nick! Thanks for the suggestion. I haven’t been and will definitely add it to my ever growing list. 😊

4. pjlazos says:

One of the best parks in the U.S.!

Yes!!! I totally agree ❤️

Thanks! This one is my favorite! ❤️

5. updownflight says:

My husband and I loved it there! We went for our anniversary about 18 years ago. Actually, we were supposed to be skying in Park City, but the weather was too hot so we headed south. It was my hubby’s idea. It is so photogenic. And your suggestions are on the mark.

Hubby loved it so much at Arches NP that he took his sister and nephew there another time, and then took his good friend there on yet another trip.

I’d say Arches is in my top 5 in terms of American West beautiful places to visit. We also liked Saguaro NP in Arizona, and of course Glacier National Park in Montana. And of course there are many other beautiful places in that part of the country too that we loved.

I know it’s really my favorite right now. I am just convincing everyone I know to visit this park. I’m glad you and your husband loved it as well. There are so many things to do and see at this park and the arches are a complete work of art. I feel like I’m in an outdoor museum. 😊 Wow, I haven’t been to the places you suggested and will definitely add it to my list. Hopefully, I make it there. Thank you so much for your awesome comment. It is truly appreciated❤

1. updownflight says:

You’re welcome, Bel. And yes, I do hope you find your way to Saguaro and Glacier NPs

6. alexraphael says:

This looks as good a place as any to escape to 🙂

The great escape from reality. 👍

7. The images are just too very awesome. The images back up the travelogue incredibly well, and on the whole, the article becomes an interesting piece to read!

Arches is my personal favorite ❤ Thanks again!

1. You’re welcome. And I’ll be very glad, if you read some of my poems too!

8. This is a great blog posting of some of the most beautiful National Parks in the US. I drove through Moab during the fall of 2016 and I was shocked with the number of mountain bikes. As much as I love hiking, I will return to spend several weeks mountain biking the area.
    Your tips are great and I look forward to seeing your future postings. 🙂

Thank you so much for the compliment. Yes, I totally agree that mountain biking there would be awesome. Moab is unforgettable. 😊

9. Sally says:

Hi Bel … we’re thinking of doing Arches on our way north this spring. Your photos convinced me it’s a “must see”! The Double Arch photo is amazing. I can see where a Thesaurus is needed when describing this area. Stunning. Thanks for the pics and the inspiration. 🙂

Yay! I’m glad you’re going and Spring is perfect. It’s just the right weather. Check out my Canyonlands pics on my other post as well because they are close to each other.

1. Sally says:

Thanks for the tip. 🙂

Anytime! 😊

10. Oooh…looks lovely. Reminds me of Bryce Canyon – has the same feel to it. Are they close?

I am about to write my next article which is about Bryce Canyon…they are 4 hours apart if you drive…totally worth it. 😊

1. I loved Bryce Canyon. I also continued over to Zion National Park. Was a stunning experience.

Then I am confident you will love Arches and Canyonlands even more. ❤ They are all equally beautiful in their own special way.

3. Ooh! I’ll keep that in mind if I get back over that way again.

11. Anabel Marsh says:

Brings back memories. S Utah is amazing.

I know it is amazing 😊

12. Seems like an awesome place!!

13. I pinned several of these photos! Beautiful!! Embarrassed to admit, I have no idea where Moab is…

Hi! Thanks for pinning – please just make sure it links back to me because they are photographs that I actually took from my own phone/camera. Sorry for the hassle. I hope that shouldn’t be an issue. Btw, Moab is in Utah and you definitely should visit!! You’ll love it.

1. The pin goes straight to your page.

Okay thanks! Appreciate it. I’m new to this so I’m learning! 😊

14. Great post and site!
    Many thanks for stopping by and following my Travel and Photography blog. 🙂

Thank you! You have a great blog as well. I love photography and travel as you obviously know 😊

1. Thanks and look forward to reading more on your site 😉

Same here! 😊

15. Isn’t this just amazing? Great images!

It is. Thank you! 😊

16. This makes me want to go here right now! Wow!!

Yes you have to go! It’s amazing 😊

Thank you! You should visit Arches ❤

17. You are really blessed with all those majestic natural pieces of art in America. In 2015 I managed to see only 5 of your national parks, but I could spend there half of my life – they are so beautiful! Enjoy each moment that you can be there 🙂

Yes, the parks here are really beautiful. I hope I get to see them all. Thank you! 😊

18. ComicJackson says:

Reblogged this on cjfmarketing and commented:
    The power of nature is superior to human’s speculation. When I look your pictures, I feel the truth. Thank you so much!

Thank you. 😊

19. Rekha Sahay says:

An interesting post and awsome pictures.

Thank you 😊 I’m glad you liked it.

20. Moab is a great getaway destination, especially for hiking, mountain biking and camping.

Really looking forward to following along here, I suspect you’ll have some great tips and teasers for new destinations to try out.

I have to admit it will be pretty tough to beat Moab – some people leave their heart in San Francisco. I left mine in Moab….However, my friends are tempting me with Colorado and Oregon this year. Thanks for following. I’m looking forward to reading your adventures as well. 😊

21. Sonia Malysz says:

Your images of Arches are so beautiful 🙂 I have been there too and it is a splendid place. You have captured it so well 🙂

Thanks so much! I’m glad you liked the pictures 😊

22. ~M says:

I have those boots you’re recommending. They’re amazingly comfortable! This is one of the few parks I wasn’t able to get to, last time I was out that way. Zion is my favorite and I love it so much, I feel I may need to move out that way eventually. Wonderful post!

Zion is lovely too but I have a feeling you’ll love Arches way more! Tell me all about it when you go! 😊

1. ~M says:

I certainly will! I always blog about my adventures. My hubby and I spent a month last year, exploring many of the National Parks. Can’t wait to go back. Arches is on the top of my list! 😉

Yay I’m glad! 😊

23. sheldonk2014 says:

See you on the other side of creativity
    As Sheldon Always

24. This has just been added to our list of must see places. Thank you for making time to share your experience and letting us see it through your eyes and words.

Okay this one is my favorite – and I suggest going during National Park Week – so you could do the mighty five Parks in Utah. No park entrance fees and surprisingly, when we went last year it wasn’t crowded at all. I thought I could do Arches and Canyonlands in 1 post but obviously it would be park information overload 😂

1. We were amazed back in September when we took our cross country tour at how few people were taking advantages of the parks. Maybe its the same ole case of “I’ve been there once why go back”. I could spend months there and still want to return.

Yeah! I know the feeling. It’s tough writing about it and fighting the urge to just go back!

25. moosylicious says:

The devils garden loop is very difficult but if you can try it next time, its worth it. Beautiful pictures by the way !

I know I can’t wait! Thanks 😊

26. blosslyn says:

Oh wow, that is amazing, love the photos 🙂

27. Beautiful photos – the arches are stunning!

Thank you Felicia. They truly are one of a kind.