Lost in Canyonlands

“I’ve seen it all
And it’s never enough
It keeps leaving me needing you
Take me away”
– Lifehouse

Canyonlands is not easy to describe. Filled with jagged peaks, sharp turns, treacherous roads and captivating viewpoints. You feel overwhelmed, inadequate and lost all at once. A week isn’t enough to explore the entire park. We met this cool guy (kinda reminds me of the original Macgyver) while we were at Arches and he specifically told us to go to Canyonlands’ Green River Overlook to watch the sunset. It wasn’t in the original plan but we decided to check it out. Let’s just say that this picture looks even better in real life.

p1060802
Green River Overlook

The next day we took the Island in the Sky half day tour. We decided to do this because it was our first time and it’s way cheaper than renting a 4×4. If you are afraid of heights, this is not a tour you should take. The first part of the tour took us to some beautiful spots and rock arts.

p1070400

p1070439

Followed by a stopover at the Gooseneck overlook of the Colorado River then we drove through the White Rim to get to Musselman Arch.

img_0573
Gooseneck Overlook

img_9523

p1070646
Musselman Arch

I’m the tiny person in the picture because my friend was too scared to walk closer. In fact, he was really annoyed at me for even standing on top of the arch. It’s really not that scary. Go figure! The tour guide took us to a steep and extremely dangerous road full of switchbacks known as the Shafer trail all the way up to Island in the Sky (elevation is around 6k ft.).

img_9540
Shafer Trail
p1070689
Island in the Sky

Unfortunately, we didn’t have enough time to visit the other parts of Canyonlands. I should have spent several days in Moab. This is really a once in a lifetime trip.

There are a couple of books/guide I’d like to recommend if you want to be a bit more prepared before you go.

Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure

A Family Guide to the Grand Circle National Parks: Covering Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches, Mesa Verde and Grand Canyon

Photographing Arches, Canyonlands and Capitol Reef National Parks: Best Shot Locations, Details on Trails, Lighting, Composition…More

Hiking Canyonlands and Arches National Parks: A Guide To More Than 100 Great Hikes (Regional Hiking Series)

If you’re ready to book your next vacation. Check out the following deals below. Please read full Disclosures

Hotwire

Expedia
Daily Deals – Save up to 70% off at Expedia!

Hotels.com
Save big on hotels while you explore the beauty of America’s parks!

Booking.com

Onetravel
Find the Best Deals of the Day!

Travelocity
Find the best flight deals starting as low as $51 with Travelocity!

Thanks! 😊

1. pjlazos says:

We rented a jeep and drove through dry river beds and it was fantastic!

So much to see in Canyonlands. It’s so ruggedly gorgeous out there. I’m glad you had an awesome time. 😊

1. pjlazos says:

Utah was my favorite place to camp because of all the National Parks and they are each different. Have you done Bryce, Zion and Arches? Really awesome.

Lol yeah! I wrote about it too in this blog. Arches is my favorite.❤️ Valley of the Gods and Monument Valley are equally amazing too – in a more rugged way.

3. pjlazos says:

Just read the Arches one. I see you enjoyed it as much as I did. I really want to go back!😆

I know! Me too! I want to see it all again ❤️ But I have so many on my list – I have to go to all the places before I die 😂

5. pjlazos says:

Work makes it tough. Maybe if I could get paid to be a travel writer !😘

Yes! I wish for that too 🙏

2. Very inspiring photos that make me want to get out there and see these amazing places. Thanks for sharing!

Brooke, thank you for your comment. I hope you get the chance to visit these awesome places ❤

3. Wanda says:

Wow so awesome it makes us taste and see ,Thank you for sharing

You are welcome 😊

4. rothpoetry says:

Beautiful landscapes!

Yes! I was in complete awe. 😊

5. 'Bubbles' says:

Looks a wonderful place to be – I will have to visit. Thank you Bel for sharing. X

I’m glad you liked it. Thanks! 😊

6. alexraphael says:

I grew up in a city, so these shots represent a different world altogether 🙂

You should totally visit this place. You would love it!

1. alexraphael says:

I’ve visited some amazing places, but this reminds me how many more amazing ones to see

Just add them to your list 😊

3. alexraphael says:

You make a persuasive case ha. Blogs like yours remind me I need to travel even more

I also am passionate about Parks and Monuments in particular. Not enough funding for these beautiful natural wonders – if more people visit it – perhaps, we can keep it for future generations.

5. alexraphael says:

I’ve got plenty of photography posts I’m proud of and think you’ll like, but nowhere near enough parks and monuments ones. Keep up the inspiring 🙂

I will check them out! I’m sure i’ll love your pictures as well! Thank you.

7. alexraphael says:

Any feedback is welcome 🙂

Thank you Ms. Vee! I’m glad you liked the pictures. ❤

1. Ms. Vee says:

You’re welcome!😄

7. Hey, this country looks like John Ford territory. I wonder if he filmed any scenes of his western films here, back in the 1940s-50s. I expected to see John Wayne come riding over the horizon!

I think the John Ford movie was filmed in the same State – Utah but in Monument Valley! They are very similar so I won’t be surprised if they may have used Canyonlands as well.

8. Tiru says:

Hey Bel,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog Am an Aspirant too. I liked the line budget travelling on your about, as that’s a motto of mine too 😉 . Would look forward to read more from you.

Wishes, T.

I’m glad hopefully it works out for us Aspirants 😊 Looking forward to reading more from you as well.

9. alalyak says:

Breathtaking! Truly. Would love to visit this magical place one day.

You really should – it’s way better than the picture! 😊

10. smilecalm says:

beautiful!
    memories
    of cycling the white
    rim trail a half dozen
    times in the 90’s 🙂

Nice! Cycling is one of the best ways to see the awesome views 😊

11. Very very beautiful images. You seem to be a swashbuckling person, and simultaneously, talented writer too. You just describe your travels very well!

Thank you! I’m glad you liked the articles. National Parks are my heart and soul and I just love visiting them. 😊

12. chevvy8 says:

Heavens! this all so starkly beautiful!

Amazing huh? And those are all natural. It’s like a different world out there. 😊

1. chevvy8 says:

Well if I think the pictures are breathtaking, I can only imagine what it feels like to be right there!😀

You should definitely go! I tell everyone to just visit 😊

3. chevvy8 says:

Alas! my bucket list grows too long. But I’m a believer that if you dream it – it can become reality. But thank you for the sharing this beauty in the meanwhile.😀

My bucket list is pretty long too 😂 And you are very welcome…thanks for taking time to read my blog ❤

5. chevvy8 says:

My absolute pleasure, I’ll be on the lookout for you. Best. Chevvy!

13. LTodd says:

Great info I will reference when planning our spring/summer travels.

Thank you for taking time to read my blog. I’m glad you find the information useful. 😊

14. This is amazing. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog 😊

1. To be honest the pictures caught me 😉 but the information you give is great, if we are blessed to go, we have a great idea of what we will need, where to stay, etc. I appreciate the fact that on the previous blog (the one about Moab) you even told me what shoes I would need. The right shoes are important 🙂

Trust me, you have to go the pictures don’t even compare to the real thing. Btw, if you like camping – they have campgrounds you can stay at – that’s probably what I plan to do on my next trip. Way cheaper than renting a hotel (in my opinion) – and yes, shoes are important so you could climb the highest peaks for the best view. And once you go – please tell me all about it. I left my heart in Arches and Canyonlands (both are located in Moab) so you see both of them when you go! 😊

3. We will and thanks for the heads up on the camping. It might be late fall this year or early spring next year. Hubby’s work schedule won’t allow it before then. Well, we do have a trip planned to Tennessee mountains, early spring this year, since its only about 7 hours drive.

Fall or Spring is actually better. I’ve never been to Tennessee Mountains so maybe you’ll be the one giving me tips for that one 😊

15. lptrey says:

Welcome to Th3 Platform Bel 🙂 Please visit the most popular page to get a taste of the best material I have to offer!

16. My brother lives in Moab, Bel. Gorgeous country. You’re photos are great!

He is so lucky!! You should take advantage and visit him whenever you can 😊

1. I’ve been there a few times, but there’s so much to see, I’d have to stay for a year!

I know I was tempted to tell my friend to just leave me there and drive back to LA without me.😜

17. Wow and Wow again. What views. Thank you for sharing such beautiful photos. Even though the pics are great I bet they don’t do the scenery justice.

You are right. The pictures don’t do the scenery justice and the effect of actually being there does to you senses. I won’t forget how it made me feel and the other places I’ve been to does not compare to my experience in Moab. It truly is a magical place!

1. We can’t wait to experience it too. Isn’t it so true about being there fills all the senses compared to a picture which gives the visual but doesn’t captivate the other senses. Each place we visit fills us more and more with each one standing in its own strength.

This is why we travel! 😊

18. I;ve only been once and only scratched the surface. At the time I lived pretty close and thought we’d be back. I’m loving the description and photos and aching for what I missed!!

Mollie

I know it’s really beautiful and can’t wait to go back. I haven’t been to the other parts of Canyonlands as well. You should still find the time to visit!! 😊

19. It’s gorgeous…but your amazing photos will have to suffice. I’m afraid of heights. My actions during the family trip to the Grand Canyon are still a favorite topic at get-togethers! 😄😄

I have to admit that during the drive up to Shafer Trail – I did get a little dizzy since the elevation was so high and the road was rough and narrow. If you noticed the Shafer Trail picture is kind of bad – i wish i took a better one. I’m curious about your Grand Canyon story – i’m sure it would be entertaining to hear. 😊

1. My family seems to think so! 😀 😀

20. Buffy Devane says:

Wow. If you felt “overwhelmed, inadequate and lost” then heaven knows how I’d feel (!)

Great views — thankyou for sharing a good taste of the awe-inspiring Canyonlands. Particularly welcome to me here in the currently-wintry UK!

Well, now you have a reason to visit the US and to add Canyonlands to the list! 😊

1. Buffy Devane says: