The Perfect “Red Rock” Escape

“Excuse me while I kiss the sky” – Jimi Hendrix

This is where you go.

img_0449
Red Rock Canyon scenic route

When you need a break from this.

fullsizerender-5
Vegas Strip

The Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area is approximately 20 miles away from Las Vegas strip. This is the perfect place to relax if you find yourself tired of the bright lights, gambling, and drinking. The 13-mile scenic loop will give you unparalleled views of the contrast between grey limestone and red sandstone.

fullsizerender-4

The entire area is abundant with wildlife which includes tortoise, gray fox, mule deer, wild horses, mountain lions, and bobcats. There are at least 19 different hiking trails included on the map that you will receive once you enter the park. The activities range from meeting Mojave Max, the famous Tortoise, (no I won’t show you a picture because you have to meet him in person -if he’s not in hiding) to road biking, hiking, and having a picnic at Willow Springs. Entrance fee is $7 per car but if you just want to hike or bike it’s free as long as you park at the loop entrance. Here’s one more picture to entice you to visit this lovely park.

img_0362

If you are interested in camping, they do have a campground. However, there are no hookups, showers, and dump stations. Please read their website for more information.

Bel’s tip for this trip. πŸ™‚

One tip I’d like to give whenever your outdoors is to make sure you have water and something to start a fire. Whether it’s a match, lighter, or a fire starter kit. Below are a couple of suggestions. Please make sure to store them in a dry place when you are hiking/camping.

Disclosure: Please be aware that I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. See Amazon Affiliate Disclosure

BIC lighters
BIC Classic Lighters Cigar Cigarette MAXi Lighter Full Size (12)

Zippo windproof lighters – does not come with fluid
Zippo Spade Card Pocket Lighter, Black Ice

Fluid for zippo lighter
Zippo 12 oz. Lighter Fluid

Blow Torch – I don’t really recommend this unless you are really wanting to defy the odds and hike/camp during any kind of storm. Then this is the only thing that will make sure you get a campfire going.
Bernzomatic TS8000 – High Intensity Trigger Start Torch

If you’re ready to book your next vacation. Check out the ff. deals below. Please readΒ full Disclosures

Hotwire

Expedia
Expedia.com

Priceline
priceline.com for the best deals in travel!

Travelocity
Save $20 off Two Night Stay on participating Travelocity Hotels (Min. 2 Night) Using Promo Code: T2Nights. Book by 5/15.

Caesars Palace Group of Hotels

Please also read my Vegas on a Beer BudgetΒ post in order to see how I get free Vegas hotel stays after reaching a certain amount of loyalty points – especially if you go there all the time.

1. Lived in Vegas for years… Red Rock Canyon is very beautiful; the burros are quite friendly, and riding the trails on a bicycle is both amazing and a true leg burn!

It is – I find it so refreshing after spending time in the strip. Red Rock is pretty special. 😊

2. obstinatedc says:

My first trip to Vegas my husband and I did an ATV tour through Red Rock, we got to do a traditional cowboy dinner around a fire later that night and it was amazing. I remember one of my favorite parts was coming back to the city and just seeing all the lights that late at night, it was stunning. Our second trip this past October we did the Skywalk at Hualepei (sp) and we spent the entire day on the Reservation at the Canyon, so incredible. I hope you’ve gone or can go.

ATV is the best! So much fun ❀ Thank you for sharing your memorable and fun experience at the Red Rock.

3. alexraphael says:

You could film Breaking bad there πŸ™‚ Gorgeous photos

Totally agree, Alex. You could film a lot of movies here. 😊 Thanks!

4. chris jensen says:

America, land of the free,

peace keepers of the world…

i also see that you have dropped by for a read,
    methanks!

chris

So true! You are welcome 😊

5. ls633 says:

When I lived in Las Vegas, this was my favorite place. Your photos definitely make me miss it. It truly is a gem in the desert.

It is really lovely and such a peaceful place. Thank you for your lovely comment 😊

6. Teh road looks inviting, thanks for sharing them.

Yes, the road is very inviting! πŸ‘

1. It is, all you need is a good road song playing as you are driving.

Yeah and you feel like you can conquer the world! Music and road trips – best combo 😊

3. My thoughts are the same. The times I have gone on trips, I always had cassette mix tapes with road songs.

Oh and yummy snacks as well πŸ˜‚

5. Yes, that too. I am good for hitting vending machines if I am on the interstate, but back roads are so much better. I’ve been in some pretty unique places to pick snacks up.

7. Red rocks have always inspired me. Those in Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona for example. They exude warmth. Happy traveling and blogging.

They are really amazing. Thanks 😊

1. Sedona is especially inspiring and peaceful. ^__^

Yeah I find Sedona really charming and serene.

3. Poetry flowed from me as I gazed at the rock formations and recharged the creative batteries!

I remember just gazing at it in awe. I could imagine how the words flowed freely for you with such a lovely view.

5. Sometimes it is good to just gaze in awe and be still. Peace from within.

😊

8. Red Rock looks like a perfect destination. I had no idea there were so many hiking trails there.

Also: Your photos alone are like a mini virtual vacation. πŸ™‚

Yeah, pretty cool about the hiking trails right? It’s actually a lovely park that all pictures would look good. Thank you so much for your kind words 😊

9. So sad. After all my trips to Vegas (way too many to be healthy), I’ve never been to Red Rock Canyon. Guess I’ll have to include it on the next trip…

Amazing photos again Bel. I’m really gonna have to try to sketch one of these desert scenes (if that’s ok with you)…

Omg! I’m a sucker for sketches. You can’t say that or I’ll give you like a million pictures and drive you nuts…anyway, yes it would be infinitely cool if you sketch any of these pics πŸ™

1. Thanks Bel! I can still visualize one you took while hiking Bryce Canyon (prior post -Navajo switchbacks). I’m not that good yet…but if I can create something worth sharing, I’ll send you a copy.
        Cheers!

Yay! Thanks!

10. Joel F says:

Red Rock Canyon is a memorable place. Thanks for sharing the photos, reminding me of my past Nevada trips.

You’re welcome Joel! I’m glad it brought back great memories 😊

1. Joel F says:

It did. Thanks. Have a lovely friday.

Thanks! You too! 😊

3. Joel F says:

You’re welcome.

11. neilirving says:

Thanks for the follow and I look forward to reading about more of your trips πŸ™‚

Thanks for taking time to read my blog and I look forward to reading more of yours as well. 😊

12. chevvy8 says:

Yes, this is definitely kissing the sky. Your photographs reminded me of these I took here in South Africa. Here is the link: https://chevvy8.com/2016/05/07/going-for-the-green-and-gold/

Mushroom rock is pretty cool and yes it is like “kissing the sky” ❀

13. PaperPuff says:

What an amazing place!

14. bunchup says:

Spectacular views.πŸ‘

15. I lived in Vegas for like 10 years and still go there to visit family during the holidays. πŸ™‚

You never get tired of it right? And when you leave you miss it ❀

1. I actually do get burnt out on it. I’m the exception. πŸ™‚

I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of rock formations…I love the mountains and the ocean way too much.❀

3. Oh, Red Rock is awesome…but Vegas itself is where I would rather skip. πŸ™‚

Oh yeah! Definitely that one I get you…you do get burned out with Vegas! I only stay for 2 days max and I’m like I have to go πŸ˜‚

5. EXACTLY! If you haven’t been to the casinos in a while, you’re like…”Man, I’ve missed this sooo much…the smoke and free drinks even. Then, after you lose money…and run into too many drunk people (not including yourself)…it’s time to go home. LOL

Right? Omg, I hate the losing money part esp when it happens on the first night. I’m like – Okay what am I going to do with my life now? 😭 And then I end up drinking too much πŸ˜‚ And then the hangover happens – and we definitely don’t need to go there! 😜

7. Yeah, just watch the movie! πŸ™‚

πŸ˜‚πŸ‘

16. Each photo displays so much see. I can’t possible think how it would be in person. We can’t wait to get there.

I know, right? I’ve been there so many times and I still keep coming back. 😊 I am so excited for you to see it for yourself and write about it.

1. We’ll get there for sure.

Yay! 😊

17. Absolutely gorgeous views and photos! And, I didn’t realize there are wild horses. The cynic in me believes when profit is involved, our country’s natural beauty disappears.

I know. I didn’t actually see them when I went so hopefully next time…😊

Lol! Thanks 😊

1. Buffy Devane says:

I’m putting money into my “North America Trip” account… when I can… πŸ˜‰

Yay! It’s a trip you won’t regret.😊

3. Buffy Devane says:

Haha. Thank you Bel. You’re an inspiration. πŸ™‚

Your writing is an inspiration. 😁

5. Buffy Devane says:

You are very kind. I’ll try to write a bit more. πŸ™‚

Please do πŸ™