Adventures in Harpers Ferry, WV

“All good things are wild and free.” – Henry David Thoreau

Some people are fearless. I’m usually the one who cheers them on from the sidelines. However, I do believe in trying almost everything once. My best friend, who lives in DC, decided to take me to Harpers Ferry Adventure in West Virginia.

IMG_4136

We started our day with a zip line tour. This is a 3-hour thrill ride passing through 8 zip lines ranging from 200 to 800 feet in length. We experienced several belayed ladder climbs, suspension bridges, and a 25-foot free fall on the automatic hands-free safety belay. I was honestly scared since it was my first time but I did it anyway. One step closer to being a daredevil right?

bridgeIMG_4135IMG_9456

Next, we went to the guided white water rafting tour. A 6-mile tour on the Potomac and Shenandoah river where Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia come together. It was quite an experience and made me realize how difficult white water rafting is on the arms. My arms sure got the much-needed workout. It was really a combination of calm and rough waters and stunning views.

bridge3IMG_9513IMG_9625IMG_9514

My tips for this trip:

1. There will be a lot of climbing, walking on suspension bridges, and different obstacle courses for the zip line tour.

2. Bring a waterproof case for your cellphone or camera in order to get those cool action shots.

3. For the white water rafting, you will obviously get wet. I would recommend wearing a sporty waterproof sandals. Please see links below.

Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure

Women’s
Northside Women’s Burke II Closed Toe Sandal, Dark Gray/Aqua, 9 M US

Men’s
Keen Men’s Newport H2 Sandal,Black,11 M US

If you’re ready to book your next vacation. Check out the following links below. Please read full Disclosures

Priceline
Express Deals, Hotels up to 60% off with NO bidding!

Expedia
Expedia.com

Hotwire

1. pixelworm says:

It looks mesmerizing. Seems like you had a lot of fun ❀

It was more scary at first but once I got the hang of it – it was fun 😊

2. Such an adventurous blog. So refreshing.

πŸ‘Œ

3. Robin says:

Beautiful. πŸ™‚ I have always wanted to go hiking.

Thanks πŸ‘

4. Jaime says:

Greetings from Carolina! I’m bored to death at work so I decided to browse your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the info you provide here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m shocked at how quick your blog loaded on my phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, very good site!

Thank you for your nice comments! πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

5. Did you visit arsenal of John Browns raid ?

No, unfortunately I wasn’t able to visit that area. We were just in the adventure center. Hopefully, next time I’ll have more time.

6. jamesturnage says:

Absolutely beautiful

7. Thanks for opening up a whole new world to your readers!

Hi, Stephanie! Thank you for your lovely comment. 😊

See? He knew life with you would never be boring 😊

9. Elizabeth says:

My husband and I went white water rafting right after we met. I’m sure, when I told him I wanted him to go with me, he was rethinking the relationship. But we had a fabulous time. I only wish I could do it again! The trip sounds like so much fun and I continue to live vicariously through you!

Hi, Elizabeth! The trip was really fun. I’m really glad you got to experience white water rafting with your husband. ❀

1. Elizabeth says:

And he married me anyway!

10. Looks like it was a great time

It was fun and scary at the same time. Thanks 😊

1. You are most welcome, I grew up here in West Virginia and my wife and I belong to the West Virginia state parks program called V.I.P.P. Very important parks people. My wife loves to kayak at harpers ferry.

Oh wow that sounds awesome! I love kayaking it is quite peaceful and serene.

11. Thanks for sharing your adventure trip, especially with the scenic photos. πŸ™‚ — Suzanne

You are welcome Suzanne 😊

12. What a lovely and thrilling experience!

Thank you. It was really fun 😊

13. Akshay Iyer says:

Nicely described. And some really cool pictures 😎

14. MJF Images says:

Harper’s Ferry seems a different place since I was there last. I grew up in Maryland and one time we spent Easter weekend in a large historic house there (my uncle was a caretaker for NPS). It was a unique way to experience the town, but that was pre-Adventure Parks and mass tourism. I might not recognize the place now.

I’m sure they kept some of that and just added activities to the existing park.😊

15. neilirving says:

Zip lines look like fun lol not to sure about the white water rafting, I sink better than anyone I know πŸ™‚

Zip lining was scary at first. The white water rafting was very tiring.😊

1. neilirving says:

For a non swimmer the rafting is scary πŸ™‚

Lol! True. 😊

16. wow, that looks like a lot of fun! hiking and anything to do with the woods, I just loveee! πŸ™‚

It was super fun! Thanks! 😊

17. I actually have a friend who lives in Harper’s Ferry, I’m definitely adding zip-lining to our to do list for my next visit, thank you!

You definitely should – it’s a lot of fun and way cooler for you since you have a friend who lives there πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

18. S Francis says:

Nice trip! Looks like tons of fun.

It was really fun! Thanks 😊

19. I love Harper’s Ferry, but we definitely did it differently. ha! With a whole bunch of little kids and nothing scary at all. White water and zip lines in 1 trip. I’d need some extra heart pills for that. Way to go!

That’s the cool thing about Harpers Ferry! They have so much activities for all ages. I’m glad you and your family had a great time as well. 😊

20. That looks like fun!

Fun and scary πŸ˜‚

21. Going on a zip-line is on my bucket list! This looks amazing. I’ve always wanted to white water raft as well, but…. I’m afraid of deep water. Do you have to be experienced with kayaks to go on a white water raft trip, or do you at least recommend some experience?

My husband and I plan on going to Puerto Rico and I really want to see the Bioluminescent Bay. We will have to kayak out to the bay together and I could just imagine us bickering about who isn’t paddling correctly haha

No experience required at all for white water rafting – they have different levels ranging from easy to difficult. So try it! I’m sure you’ll love it. Lol! the image of you and your husband bickering over paddling on a kayak reminds me of my own experience with my ex. πŸ˜‚ Puerto Rico sounds exciting! Zip lining there would be an awesome adventure!

22. Hey Bel! Life’s been crazy of late here and I just saw that you posted recently. This trip looks like a blast! I have few regrets from my AT thru hike but bypassing opportunities to zip line and white water raft are at the top. After reading (seeing) your adventures around Harper’s, I’ve definitely got to go back. Looks like a blast!

Hi Gabe! I hope it is crazy in a good way? 😊 Yay, I’m glad I’m the one (this time) who gives you something new to try. You have to do it and write about it because -you do have an awe-inspiring way of describing things. Zip lining and white water rafting would be cool at the AT…πŸ‘

23. First of all the quote, you have started this post, is one of the truest, I can agree with. Secondly, the pics and images simply make every if your post, extremely fascinating to read. Nothing different with this one.

Lol! Yeah I saw this quote and thought it would fit this post. 😊 Are you planning on zip lining and white water rafting soon?😊

1. Mmmmm… not sure, now. But I’d love to, when if I get a chance.

Just added to your list! I have such a long list I honestly have no idea where to start πŸ˜‚

3. You seem to be a keen traveller. Very fine. Traveling is one of the most important aspects of life.

I like learning through experience. 😊

24. Oh, you are so fortunate to live in a country that provides such wonderful scenery and thrilling adventures. Well done πŸ™‚

There is beauty in every country.😊 Thank you for your lovely comment. 😊

1. You are right, of course. πŸ™‚

Really fun . Thank you. 😊

25. grumpygorman says:

Nice.. I really need to take more chances and expand my experiences.. unleash the adventurer within. πŸ™‚

Yes. Life is short not to unleash the adventurer within. The only thing I would ask from you is to write about it when you do! 😊

26. Wow, It looks like you had amazing time πŸ˜€

I did! Thank you Jelena 😊

27. Awesome! This had to be so exciting of an adventure. Causes us to want to zip there our next trip.

You’d better! I am expecting to hear about it when you do. They actually have a lot of activities in the area to choose from…so many adventures so little time 😊

28. My brother and sister-in-law are zip line pros but I still haven’t worked up the nerve…and probably won’t! LOL! I’ll stick to the museums. Nice photos! πŸ˜‰

Lol! You should have seen me . The guide was like just go for it and I looked at him like he was crazy or something. I’m thinking it’s just me and the rope and I’m stepping into thin air. Seriously? It was more scary than fun and at least I tried it once πŸ˜‚ You should totally do it with your brother and sis-in-law – and then tell me all about it. 😊

1. Why do I feel as though you’re cheering me on…into danger?! LMAO!

Not into danger – just a once in a lifetime experience 😜

3. Oh those are so overrated! LOL! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Lol! I’m trying here…πŸ˜‚

Thank you Didi! It really is beautiful 😊

29. Looks like a fun adventure Bel. Sadly, even though I grew up in DC, I never explored Harpers Ferry!

Well, I love DC! So many museums, events and great food. I’m sure you had your hands full when you lived there. Maybe next time you’ll get the chance to visit Harpers Ferry 😊

1. Agreed. I enjoy visiting the museums and restaurants when I go back to visit my family still in the area. πŸ™‚

My favorite is the Spy Museum πŸ˜‚ So many cool stuff – makes me want to believe I’d make a great secret agent!

3. Yes, it’s fun too. πŸ™‚