“Keep on dreaming even if it breaks your heart.” – Eli Young Band
In my previous blog entries, we covered most of Utah’s mighty five. I wanted to take you someplace different but similar to the National Parks I’ve visited in the past. Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park is filled with breathtaking landscapes located on the Utah/Arizona border. The location is quite remote with a 14-mile graded dirt road. A truck or an SUV would be the best way to get through the roads leading to most of the major monuments. My friends and I arrived late at night at the campsite and crashed soon after from the long road trip. I did take a moment to appreciate the stars that night. The night sky was so clear I felt like I could just reach out and touch them with my fingertips. The next day I woke up early and was at a loss for words with this view at dawn.
It really doesn’t get any better than this for an outdoor enthusiast like me. The view was worth freezing my ass off in the cold weather. Hiking, unfortunately, is quite restricted without a tour guide. The Wildcat Trail, a 3.2-mile loop around West Mitten Butte, is the only path you can hike without a guide. We packed up our stuff, loaded it in the truck, and took the 14-mile dirt road to check out the major monuments. Below are pictures we took along the way.
I hope the pictures convinced you to add Monument Valley to the places you’d like to visit.
My tips for this trip:
1. Bring lots of water and a spare tire for the bumpy road.
2. Bring a camera with a huge memory card.
3. Bring a cooler with ice – especially if the weather gets hot.
4. Monument Valley entrance fee is: $10/person or $20/vehicle.
The address is: Indn Rte 42, Oljato-Monument Valley, AZ 84536
5. If you plan on camping and you haven’t done it before – this is a tent I would recommend. Easy to set up and can easily fit 2 people.
Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure
6. Also, here are my recommended camping stove, cookware, and dinner sets. If you purchase the Etekcity camping stove please make sure to buy it with the jetboil jetpower fuel. It won’t work without the fuel.
MalloMe Camping Cookware Kit with Folding Spork, Nylon Bag and Ebook (10-Piece)
[UPGRADE]7 pcs Camping Eating Cutlery Utensils EZYKOO Camping Tableware/Dinnerware Set Backpacking Gear&xFF08;Fork, Spoon, Bowl, Case） Perfect for Hiking,Outdoors,Travel,Picnics, School,Office,Barbecue
7. Don’t forget to bring a match or a lighter. Please see my blog entry The Perfect “Red Rock” Escape for the perfect fire starter.
8. If camping isn’t your thing. You may book through the travel websites below.
The address of Monument Valley is: Indn Rte 42, Oljato-Monument Valley, AZ 84536
Please read full Disclosures