A Piece of Heaven in Valley of the Gods

“We’ll travel to find grounds and rooftops and tiny hidden parks, where we’ll sit and dismiss the passing time…I need to feel a place while I’m in it.” – Victoria Erickson

IMG_4609

I have to admit. I’m not the easiest person to travel with because like the quote above by Victoria Alexander states “I need to feel a place while I’m in it.” Valley of the Gods is exactly the kind of place that makes me forget my inescapable reality. This hidden gem is located in Mexican Hat, Utah. Yes, we did pass by briefly the famous Mexican Hat rock formation. It looks likes an inverted Mexican Hat.

SONY DSC
Mexican Hat Rock Formation

There is not much to see here but the rock formation pictured above. I recommend visiting the Mexican Hat rock formation ONLY if it’s on the way.

When you reach Valley of the Gods, feast your eyes on scenic views of Buttes, Pinnacles, and wide open spaces. It offers similar scenery found in Monument Valley but without permits or fees required to enter, hike, backpack, or camp in the park. There are no restrictions and you won’t find designated hiking routes but miles and miles of terrain to explore. No signs of civilization anywhere.

FullSizeRender (7)IMG_4617

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

The area is isolated. You need to have sufficient supplies if you’re planning to camp there. There are no nearby facilities, stores, and gas stations. The 17-mile road is unpaved and quite bumpy.

My tips for this trip:
1. Bring lots of water.
2. Make sure you have sufficient gas in your car.
3. Bring a spare tire. (Trust me, you might need it)
4. Bring a camera.
5. Bring food and a lighter.
6. Below are a few other things you’ll need if you don’t already have it.
Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure and Target Affiliate Disclosure

Emergency Kit

Outdoor Camping Lantern
Vont Bright 2 Pack Portable Outdoor LED Camping Lantern, Black, Collapsible

Outdoor Survival Tools
ECHI Outdoor Survival Tools, 10 in 1 Multi-Purpose Outdoor Emergency Survival Security Defense Gear, Kits for Boy Scout and Scoutcamp

Backpack – Good for beginners or for 2 days backpacking
TETON Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame(ALUMINUM) Backpack; Great Backpacking Gear or Pack for Camping or Hiking; Hunter Green

Please check my post Sealed with a “Monument Valley” Experience if your interested in other camping gears not found in this post.

If you’re ready for the next adventure…Valley of the Gods might be what you’re looking for….♥

Thanks for the reblog. 😊

1. moorezart says:

Welcome – great posts!

Thanks for the reblog ❤️

1. anye3 says:

I love Utah! The sky is so big out there.

It’s truly a work of art ❤️ Utah is unforgettable 😊

2. Lol I guess you never think about the spare tire until you need it. Thanks!

Lol! Yes, you never know and in the middle of nowhere…😊

1. HAHAHA! This is True! lol

3. freebutfun says:

Looks stunning. A great place to feel a good kind of solitude outdoors?

Yes, definitely a great place if you want solitude and experience outdoors in it’s most rugged form. Thank you!

4. brm7 says:

Great tips and views we are heading there in June

Oh wow! So excited for you – hopefully it’s not too hot. It will be fun for sure 😊👍

5. This is very close to my home! It’s a beautiful desert 😍.. and YES very secluded. It’s a great place for those occasions when you crave solitude, for sure… great post! 🤗

Oh wow! Lucky you…to be so close to such an amazing place. Thank you.😊

1. Absolutely! Next time you’re passing through Utah, try out Sky Line Drive. (If you havnt already) it’ll take you across a very long stretch of mountain tops. Make sure you do it in the fall when the leaves are changing 😍 it’s beautiful, come down one of the canyons that will take you to Joe’s Valley to fish for Tiger Muskey 👍

Oh wow! Okay will definitely do that if I’m ever in the area again. Thanks so much, Didi! It’s always nice to get tips from the locals – you know so much 😊

3. You’re welcome 😉

6. “Wanderlust” is not an appropriate word here! I want to be beamed there NOW! Lovely post!

Lol! If only we could just be beamed to any place right? Thank you 😊

7. Dear friend,

I have nominated you for the “VERSATILE blogger AWARD” 🙂

See: https://didisvgp.wordpress.com/2017/06/02/thanks-to-manuela-for-nominating-me-for-the-versatile-blogger-award/

All the best
    Didi

You’re too kind. Thank you for the nomination. 🙂

1. Welcome, dear friend 🙂

Have a nice day
        Didi

You too ❤️

8. Hi Bel, thanks for stopping by my site! We visited Garden of the gods near Colorado Springs, and it looks a lot like your photos.

Somebody mentioned the exact same thing about the similarities to Garden of the Gods. I should check that out as well! Thank you for stopping by as well.😊

9. singana1 says:

Gotta love solitude!

Agreed. Nothing beats that…😊

10. linetawuor says:

Amazing landscapes..I’ve always wanted to travel around the world..hey you should see the rift valley in Kenya..its stunning..another piece of Heaven in the valley of Gods

Oh wow! I would love to see The Rift Valley and will add it to my list. Thank you for the nice comment and the recommendation 😊

11. You are making me want to take a roadtrip in the US, thanks for the tips! 🙂

You are welcome! 😊

12. Travel is captivating and breathtaking, it makes us feel at peace but at times to get that peace we forget the instinct of survival and forget to plan.

Here you presented your travel along with precautions to be taken, now that’s travelling…with peace

Yes, thanks! I try to make sure to take precautions when going on trips especially when it’s the outdoors. So many things could go wrong and it’s better to be safe than sorry. I appreciate your comment.

13. Captivating pictures!! Reminds me of Spiti Valley🤘🤘

14. Al saher says:

The title itself sets the urge to get going at once…. 😍😍😍
    One day, perhaps 🙈💖
    It’s beautiful 😘💖

It truly is a special place. Thanks for the comment. 😊

15. Scarlett says:

You are such a lucky girl! wow this looks insane! I travelled Australia, new Zealand and Bali for three years….th!ere is so much more I want to see! you are inspiring me

Wow! You’re well travelled! Those are beautiful places – so little time so many places to visit ❤️

16. CreativeSiba says:

Really a wonderful Blog ❤️

Thank you!

1. CreativeSiba says:

Most welcome Bel

17. You have travelled quite well for yourself Miss Bel and I admire your adventurous spirit even if you are, at times, edgy. It shows a level of independence and a heathy capacity for aloneness. Your photography captures the expanse of our great western states. We will be enjoying your same journey in June.

Thank you! I’m pretty sure you’ll enjoy it as much as I did when you visit in June. It’s going to be a lot hotter on those months but the view will be equally amazing for sure! 😊

18. Shades of John Ford movies and myself, hitchhiking through Northern Utah as a teenager (1974). Lovely pictures, a desolate and magnificent loneliness.

It is a lovely and lonely place at the same time. What an awesome description! 😊👍

19. Raj says:

Lovely blog! following you.. glad that I bumped in here.. Love the way you write!

Hi, Raj! Thank you. I’m glad you like my blog. 😊

20. What a beautiful trip! Although it did make me thirsty…

Welcome back 😊 Thirsty for the outdoors? It will never be quenched – we live for the fresh air, night stars and the serenity that nature brings.⛺️🏔🏜

21. Thanks for this virtual trip, the stunning pictures. 🙂 — Suzanne

Hi, Suzanne! Thank you 😊

22. The photography is wonderful. Valley of the Gods looks so desolate and grand.

I was really lucky to be able to photograph such a ruggedly beautiful terrain. Thank you for your kind words. 😊

1. I’d like to point out that you did the hard work of packing wisely and going there with a camera. 🙂

Lol! True 😊👍

23. Tom Schultz says:

There’s also a Garden of the Gods near Colorado Springs, Co. If you’re in the area, it’s worth a visit. Awesome rock formations.

Thanks for the tip. I’m adding it to my list 😊

24. very interesting write…

Thank you.

25. Wow! I really love the photos! Great tips, too. Just wanted to stop by and let you know I’ve nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award 😊 Keep up the incredible work!

Thanks! I’m glad you loved the photos and the tips. ❤ I appreciate the nomination as well. 😊

26. MyAllegory says:

My job has me traveling to Washington state mid may. I plan on hiking into the back country and sleeping in my hammock 🤗

Sounds like fun! 😊👍

27. Great post! I went to the Garden of the Gods when i was a teenager, beautiful. I was also stationed in 29 Palms vs and did some rock climbing there. I so need to get back to this level of serenity this summer!

You should definitely go this summer! Rock climbing is a lot of fun 😊👍

28. Lovely pics! Great post. Reminds me of Arizona. Love places like that, they sure are serene as they are thought-provoking. Well done!

So many beautiful places to see. The words you used serene and thought-provoking definitely hits the spot.

29. Ipuna Black says:

I’ve traveled through there all the time on our way to small Blanding, Ut! You got some great shots! I wondered if Stephenie Meyer’s Host was filmed near there?

Thanks! I just checked they filmed Host somewhere in New Mexico but they have similarities! 😊

1. Ipuna Black says:

Hmmm. They do have similarities. Thanks for looking into it!

😊👍

30. So beautiful would love to visit there some day!

I hope you get to visit Valley of the Gods too! Just an awesome place. ❤

31. Beautiful blue skies and red rocks. An amazing place.

Yeah the monuments are gorgeous. You could just spend an entire day looking at the view and not get tired of it. ❤

32. tarnishedsoul says:

I lived in Utah, briefly, and there is some absolutely amazing landscapes there.
    Great pictures and you make it sound like a lot of fun for sure – almost makes me want to go back! 😛

It is super fun! There are still a couple of places there I plan to visit. You should definitely come back even just to see those amazing landscapes again! ❤

1. tarnishedsoul says:

Most of what I saw was between Green River and Vernal. A lot of canyons and a lot of petroglyphs!

Utah rocks! I love the Green River…brings back awesome memories of the time I was there.

33. It’s really strange how no civilization seems so enchanting and friggtening at the same time. Your travels make me want to grow up faster, finish my education and travel as much as I can.
    – fellow nomad

Who said you need to grow up faster? 😊 Do it during all the breaks – the weekends – whenever you can. I can’t hike 8 miles without my back hurting – I wouldn’t have that issue in my early 20s…😊Can’t wait to read/hear your adventures fellow nomad❤

1. I do because travel needs money. But I am willing to sacrifice that for the present. I hope to write stuff you like.

34. Ontario says:

Creating space during any journey is so important. Connection inside is a deep heart connection outside to Earth as a friend. Your writing, soul and photos speak to that profound connection

Thank you for your lovely words. Yes, I really need to connect deeply with a place and people I’m with when I travel. 😊

35. bpsenapati says:

Great pictures! And the title is awesome!

Thank you! 😊 I’m glad you liked it!

36. SwtNSocial says:

Your pictures are stunning! Love the tips too.

Thank you 😊 It was easy to take pictures because of the awesome landscape 👍

37. Wow great pics! I nearly haven’t traveled our national parks enough – haven’t been to Utah other than to hike in Bryce! Really need to explore our own backyard more!

Oh yes…Bryce is awesome but Valley of the Gods is really different and equally amazing. I’m sure you’ll love it. 👍

38. inaloveworld says:

Amazing places and great photos! Thank you for sharing!

Thank you. Valley of the Gods is one of the most ruggedly beautiful places I’ve seen jb my life. 😊

1. inaloveworld says:

It seems to be place that is a must to be seen. Thank you!

You are welcome 😊

39. I’m not sure if I’ve said this before, but you totally make me feel like I didn’t make much in terms of exploration while living in the southwest. These photos are surreal!!! Need to go on more adventures one day when I return home.

Also, really random, but do you think the Mexican hat actually looks like a Mexican hat or not really? hahaha.

Thanks! I’m glad my pictures brought it to life. Truly so many amazing places there. About the Mexican Hat – the funny thing was it really didn’t look like one! I guess it should be called the inverted Mexican Hat😂 Which part of the Southwest did you use to live in?

1. Yeah your pictures made it look so majestic! And yeah I totally agree with you. When I saw the name of it I tried to see a sombrero, but was just not seeing it! And I’m from Vegas. What about you?

Next time I’m in town if I can get someone to drive me I really wanna go to Antelope Canyon. One of those places that seems like there’s nothing like it elsewhere.

You must be talking about the slot canyons in the lower and upper Antelope Canyon. Yeah, I thought about visiting that as well. You should totally go! I’m from sunny Southern California – LA. There are so many places here I need to write about but I find myself always going somewhere else..☺️

3. I believe so? Haha. Where it looks like these extremely reddish dark caverns underground? Not sure how to describe it lol.

Omg I miss LA so much! I lived in Ktown for a year in the end of 2015 beginning of 2016 and loved it. Best city in America. As long as you’re always going on adventures and having fun thats all that matters 🙂

Hope you have an awesome weekend!

Omg korean bbq in ktown is my super fave! And yes, Antelope Canyon is super awesome and you described it (kinda) 😂. LA is great but I feel like I belong anywhere but here. 😊 Hope you have a great weekend as well!

5. Omg give me some Oo Kook or Kan Hu Do like right Naooo!! hhahahaha

And thank you!

40. I live for the beautiful desertscapes of Nevada, Utah, Arizona and Idaho. These journeys also cleanse ones soul.
    I think you are a lot more of a hiker than I am. I tour in a nice AMG G wagon. Arguably the finest SUV available. If you find yourself traveling thru Las Vegas drop me a line. I would enjoy a nice cup of coffee and to listen to a few of your interesting tales. In any event enjoy your journeys Bel

Yes they truly are beautiful. Thank you! 😊

Thank you Felicia. No daring adventures for this one. I was mostly looking up in awe and not heading to steep cliffs or edges 😜

41. PaperPuff says:

Just stunning landscapes. Great photos too!