Hiking Devil’s Punchbowl & Devil’s Chair

“Don’t be scared to walk alone. Don’t be scared to like it.” – John Mayer

IMG_5838 (2)
Devil’s Punchbowl
I’ve always wanted to check out Devil’s Punchbowl located in Pearlblossom, CA and decided to go there on my own. I figured it would be a good way to test my endurance for longer hikes. I’m more of a casual hiker. I like to take my time and enjoy the view which is probably why I always get left behind in a group. My friend has been trying to convince me to join him in the Southern California’s six peaks challenge. It’s been on my mind lately and probably why I pushed myself to do this hike.

IMG_0001 (2)

I was pleasantly surprised by the scenic view that greeted me on the 1.1-mile loop. The rock formations are stunning. The Devil’s Punchbowl is a point where 2 earthquake faults collide. This gem is only 1.5 hours away from Los Angeles and should be added to your must-hike list. There are several hikes you can take depending on how much time you have.

On the other hand, the Devil’s Chair hike is an entirely different beast. The hike is 7.5 miles round trip which would take approximately 3 hours. It’s not a tough hike but definitely a long one for a novice hiker like me. The view along the way is pretty incredible.

IMG_5843 (2)

I almost didn’t make it to the Devil’s Chair. The distance and the heat were getting to me. In addition to that, I was foolish enough not to bring food with me. Yeah, I should know better. Once I got there the stunning geological formation took my breath away. I’ll let the pictures below do the talking.

IMG_5854 (1)IMG_5889 (2)
IMG_5898

My tips for this day hike:

1. Bring at least 2 liters of water. Maybe even 3 during the summer.
2. Bring FOOD. Yes, let’s all learn from my mistake. I just have to give a shout out to the female hikers I met along the trail who shared their lunch with me.
3. Wear sunscreen and don’t forget bug spray.
4. Make sure to go to the Visitor center and ask for a map and directions from the Park Ranger. It is so easy to get lost even on the way back and it easily adds 2 miles to the hike.
5. There are no park entrance fees. Parking is free.
6. Wear comfortable hiking shoes.
Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure

Men’s Hiking Shoes
Merrell Men’s Chameleon Prime Stretch Hiking Shoe,Black,10.5 M US

Women’s Hiking Shoes
Merrell Women’s Moab Ventilator Hiking Shoe,Taupe,8.5 M US

7. Get a hydration backpack if you don’t want to be lugging around water bottles.

Hydration Backpack With 2.0L TPU Leak Proof Water Bladder- 600D Polyester -Adjustable Padded Shoulder, Chest & Waist Straps- Silicon Bite Tip & Shut Off Valve- Daypack For Cycling, Hiking Grey

Let me know if you’ve done this hike or would like to do this hike. I hope you’ll add it to your list of places to hike.

1. Pina Marek says:

Thank you for inspiration for my next travels!

I’m glad you liked it! ๐Ÿ˜Š

2. That looks like an amazing view! Did you have to do any bouldering or was it all trail hiking to get there? I had never heard of this place before! ๐Ÿ™‚

It’s purely trail hiking and could be classified as easy if not for the switchbacks after devil’s chair (that part killed me๐Ÿ˜‚) and it’s quite a long hike with possibilities of getting lost but just try to remember the way you came in so you won’t add an extra mile of getting lost like I did! ๐Ÿ˜Š

1. I had my first experience with switchbacks at Mammoth Cave and they were brutal! lol thanks for the info!

Oh then you’ll find this easy! I hope you get to go. I’m sure you’ll love this hike โค๏ธ

3. Yes I hope to get out west soon! I’m in Ohio currently and the farthest I’ve been is NOLA. Definitely need to head west though … so many amazing parks and sights! Looking forward to seeing more! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. hjkhiking says:

This is a great post and lovely photos!. Would also appreciate it if you take a look ay my hike that I’ve recently updated on hiking in Hong Kong! http://www.hjkhiking.wordpress.com Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š Sure, i’ll check yours out as well.

4. sjhikemefit says:

Im definitely adding this to my hike list! WOW. Amazing.

I’m glad I’m sure you’ll love it ๐Ÿ˜Š

5. I’m so happy I found your site, love your get up and go motivation with all the hiking trips you’ve done. It’s something I want to get into since moving to North America, the landscapes here are amazing! So thanks again, keep up the great work

Thank you for your kind words! ๐Ÿ˜Š I agree the landscapes are incredible and I am so excited that you’ll get to experience them as well.

6. Great writing and tips Bel … and absolutely stunning photos.

7. An interesting post, Bel. Beautiful pictures. ๐Ÿ™‚ — Suzanne

8. The Twentysomething Social Recluse says:

Very beautiful – but looks really hot too!

Lol! True ๐Ÿ˜Š I wouldn’t hike here during summer for sure.

9. i was there a couple of months ago. the rock formations are definitely amazing!

Right? It is so pretty!

10. Elizabeth says:

Once again you’ve loaned me your legs so I could go on an adventure! Thank you, Bel!

You’re welcome! Glad you enjoyed the view ๐Ÿ˜Š It was a tough hike for me.

1. Elizabeth says:

I appreciate the effort you put in for me! lol

I know. I had to do the last mile just to make sure you get to see the awesome views. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‚

3. Elizabeth says:

LOL Bless your sweet heart! Before I got hurt I walked all day at work then came home and walked 5 miles. I look at some of your adventures and think, “I could DO that!” Well…could have. LOL

11. chatmanjay says:

I’m two posts into your site, and now I’m questioning my adventurous side, lol. I can honestly say I am open to doing hikes, but only when I’m ready. Your experiences as a hiker inspire to do so with my free time! Great content and awesome pictures too!

I consider myself an amateur in hiking. I’m definitely not an expert – I started with a few miles and now I guess 9-10 miles is my longest hikes and I definitely take my time to enjoy the view. There are people who do around 20 mile hikes – I don’t know if I’ll ever be ready for that ๐Ÿ˜Š But, please share your experience once you start hiking. I’d love to hear about it and your adventures ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘ Thanks for your kind words!

12. pjlazos says:

Your blog posts make me want to go everywhere!

I’m glad…that’s the idea ๐Ÿ˜‰

13. bpsenapati says:

Beautiful pictures, views are amazing! And lovely description about the place and useful advises.

Thanks! It was a very scenic hike even if it wore me out.๐Ÿ˜‚

14. Those views! Would love to do this hike and thanks for the great tips (especially about carrying food).

Lol! Yeah…food is very important in this hike. I hope you get to do this soon and share your experience when you do๐Ÿ˜Š

15. Vivian Zems says:

Looks amazing! I’m putting this on my bucket list ๐Ÿ™‚

It is amazing! It was a long hike but worth it when you see Devil’s chair ๐Ÿ˜Š

16. rhythminlife says:

Beautiful ๐Ÿ˜

17. I envy your adventures!!

I’m sure you’ll have awesome adventures of your own as well ๐Ÿ˜Š

1. I hope so! I’m going to a couple of islands this November, so I’m sure that will be awesome ๐Ÿ™‚

You better write about it! I would love to read about your trip after โค๏ธ

3. I definitely will, I’ll have to get some good footage as well. I just went on a cruise this past February to a couple of islands. I made a short video on it just for fun, if you’d like to check it out!

Okay, I will check it out! ๐Ÿ˜Š

5. Awesome, I hope you enjoy!

18. Hello,

Iโ€™ve nominated you for the Liebster Award.
    to learn more please click this link: http://wp.me/p47Ymh-6cL

Thanks for the nomination ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘

19. ddssafpm says:

Wow, I’ve never even thought of hiking before, but you made me want to start looking it up here in my country. I love especially the photo of the bridge, it looks like something that I would see on those photography instagram accounts, haha.

Lol! right? I’m glad the photograph inspired you to think about it and even research about it! Let me know once you start to hike. I’d be excited to hear about it. ๐Ÿ˜Š

1. ddssafpm says:

Okay! ๐Ÿ˜Š

20. Youll never walk alone – Liverpool chant ๐Ÿ˜€

Lol! Yeah ๐Ÿ˜Š

21. Or collapsible…lol that works to spelling errors suck ๐Ÿ˜•

Lol! No worries…๐Ÿ˜Š I’ve made a lot of typos in comments as well.๐Ÿ˜Š

22. I trade my Zamberlan hikers for fiveten mountain biking shoes. Also for those who may take a pet a long. They have awesome collapeable bowls that you can fill from camelback. It fits neatly inside hardly taking up any room.

23. We have a place here in Spokane Wa. called the Devil’s Toenail. It sits inside Riverside State Park. I spent most of last year hiking it, and all the trail heads inside this massive wilderness. It is beautiful. You can do those miles and miles hikes. I did that, and was mountain biking those trails 20-30 a day. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜€. Love it! Thanks for sharing.

There seems to be a lot of beautiful Devil’s hiking places out there.๐Ÿ˜Š Now I want to see that too! There are a lot of amazing hiking spots in Washington that I plan or hope to visit. Maybe i’ll add that to the list. Thanks for taking time to read and commenting. ๐Ÿ˜Š

24. kutukamus says:

Seems like a couple of names, with very good reasons. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lol yes! Fault lines…๐Ÿ˜…

25. HI, I just want you to know that I have nominated you for the Awesome Blogger Award, all the details can be found here.https://wordpress.com/post/lincolnlifesite.wordpress.com/3252

Thanks for the nomination ๐Ÿ˜Š

26. If you need a replacement water backpack you might check out military surplus stores. The Camel backs are comfortable and hold quite a bit of water. I have found the hiking boots to be quite durable, and everything is very reasonably priced.

Thanks for the tip! ๐Ÿ˜Š

27. frankhubeny says:

Nice pictures! Besides food and water I usually rely on a charged phone when walking alone. My wife and I are connected with an app, Life360, which lets us know where we are, assuming the phone can get a signal and it is charged. One can even get battery backups. I suspect reception will not be great in some of these areas.

Thanks, Frank! The pictures don’t do justice to the real thing for sure. It was quite extraordinary. ๐Ÿ˜Š I had my phone on google maps and all trails. Unfortunately, the signal was a bit sketchy. Let me check out the app you suggested. It never hurts to have an additional one in case of emergency ๐Ÿ˜Š

28. The heat can be tough when there’s no shade. I was hiking in Utah in the EVENING and it was 104 degrees. Beautiful photos and worth the long walk, Bel.

Utah can be super hot!!! I could just imagine. You are right. This one was definitely worth the long walk. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘

29. geoch1 says:

Hi Bel,
    Nice blog and nice roads!
    The one in my last post is not so adventurous like yours…
    All the best!

Thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š Glad you liked it!

30. Marie Dunn says:

Amazing how beautiful the desert landscape can be, isn’t it?

It is truly a masterpiece. ๐Ÿ˜Šโค๏ธ

31. Kennedy says:

Awesome views wow! I just love the mountains and the peace that they come with.

Yeah, it’s a different world and you feel time completely stands still when you’re one with nature. ๐Ÿ˜Š

32. donwhitehere says:

Reblogged this on SEO Services and commented:
    Something on my to do list now

Thanks! I’m glad you’re adding it to the places you’ll visit ๐Ÿ˜Š

33. Regina says:

Oh my gosh! So beautiful. I just got back from Southern California and I’m kicking myself for not taking advantage of all the hiking trails. I guess this gives me a reason to go back. Thanks for the inspiration!

Yay! I’m glad. Just give me a holler if you ever decide to visit again and I’ll give you a list of the secret hiking spots. I’m not sure I’m able to write them all – there are just so many awesome places.๐Ÿ˜Š

34. Another gorgeous post. Bel, I feel compelled to nominate you for the Sunshine Blogger Award. I’m about to post it, so keep an eye out ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m glad you liked the post! Thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š

35. lyssalouhoo says:

These views are amazing! Last hike I took was in upstate NY and I didn’t see anything as remarkable as this. One of these days I’m going to have to get my butt over that way.

To be honest, I was quite surprised myself. I have to say I didn’t realize I lived close to such beauty and I’m looking forward to doing this hike again. I hope you do get to visit. I’m pretty sure you’ll be blown away. ๐Ÿ˜Š

36. I’ve really gotta do more West Coast hiking. The Punchbowl in Virginia is more lush, but this limits the views, and almost guarantees a workout for your raingear too. But the Devils furniture (chair and punchbowl) looks like a gorgeous way to enjoy a weekend if I’m ever back around L.A. again.

Lol! Devil’s furniture – you got that right. I’m pretty sure these hikes are too easy for you but the Devil’s Chair view is off the charts and impressed me despite just seeing Monument Valley a few weeks ago. So it might be worth it if you’re ever in LA.๐Ÿ˜Š

1. Ha! It’s been too long since I’ve taken a good hike. Our recent trips have been to cozy cities and lazy beaches and way too much food. My belly is starting to make another appearance and my legs whine after walking up a few flights of stairs. But you’ve certainly sparked the itch again.

Trust me, you’d still leave me in the dust. I’m the slowest. hiker. ever. But I can’t wait to read about your trip – sounds like fun. Yay! Glad to spark the hiking itch with my very amateur hiking experience. I’m kinda proud because it’s my first solo 9 mile hike. I’m a big girl now ๐Ÿ˜‚

37. great photos and good advice. Walks can so easily go wrong when you push your limits on hot days…

Hi, Maureen! Yes and a lot of people got lost in this hike too. There are not much signs so it’s important to have a map. I had both my map and my phone working double time for me. ๐Ÿ˜Š

38. wyco says:

Beautiful destination!

It is a beautiful hiking spot! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Thank you! ๐Ÿ˜Š

39. Kudos on stretching yourself Bel. I loved hiking around our National Parks and gradually increased my distance and stamina by simply hiking often and allowing the joy to motivate me. I was in the “peak” shape of my life by following my joy. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks. I feel like I need to maximize the time I spend at National Parks by hiking more to reach amazing spots. So I’m trying my best to build more stamina and maybe push myself to do the 18 mile hikes…๐Ÿ˜Š