Exploring Vasquez Rocks

InkedIMG_6281 (3)_LI - Copy

Feast your eyes on Vasquez Rocks impressive array of rock formations. You’ll find this gem in Agua Dulce, California which is approximately 50 minutes away from Los Angeles. A lot of famous films and TV shows have filmed in this location (Star Trek, Flinstones, Planet of the Apes, Cars, Short Circuit, Hail, Ceasar!) to name a few.

9B2FB359-5CDF-4A5A-8671-6FC92C1F55F6CF78D2E1-FBA8-44FD-A113-B9AE440366FD

The hiking path is relatively flat and easy to navigate.Β The easyΒ rock climbing/scrambling makes it a lot more exciting. There are no fees to enter the park and parking is completely free. I love visiting on a weekday because it is relatively empty unless they are filming a show.

FullSizeRender (8)IMG_0172

It’s a pretty stunning view, isn’t it? Not to scare you but please be aware that this is Mountain Lion territory. Please make sure to read this noticeΒ if you decide to go. 3DA4E89E-CD78-423A-8ECE-35DAE6730B85.JPG

If you ever decide to add Vasquez Rocks to your itinerary or just visit for a day. Here are a couple of tips for this day trip.

1. Bring food and at least 2 liters of water.
2. If you decide to do some rock scrambling (which you won’t be able to resist). Please make sure you have shoes with a good grip. Please see links below:

Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure, Target Affiliate Disclosure, Disclosures

Merrell Men’s Moab Ventilator Hiking Shoe,Walnut,8.5 M US

Merrell Women’s Moab Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot,Grey/Periwinkle,8 M US

3. Wear sunscreen and use some bug spray.

Coppertone Sport Clear Continuous Spray SPF 30, 6 oz, Twin Pack

Off! Deep Woods Insect Repellent V, 25% DEET 6 oz

4. Wear a cap it gets really hot in the summer.

Visor from Adidas for women

Cap from Adidas for men

5. Wear comfortable gear and bring extra clothes.

90 Degree By Reflex 22″ Yoga Capris – Yoga Leggings – Yoga Capris for Women

Yoga pants from Walmart (cheaper alternative)

1. TechFlax says:

Your explanation skills are great πŸ‘ i love it

2. Ma ma ma mountain lions!

You must be a tuff cookie I’m telling you.. more power to ya!

Trust me, I hope never to see one while hiking!!

1. Hahaha hahahaha! Just play dead I herd that works out great… it worked in the movie the revinant… if that’s how you spell it… lol!

3. Used to live near here, Southern CA has so many gems…if you can take the people. πŸ™‚ thanks for sharing.

Yes and the weather always cooperates for outdoor activities. Never too cold to go exploring even during winter the sun is out 😊

1. I lived there for 9 years and loved camping for New Years! Yes, where else can you do that? Keep enjoying your travels!

Thank you! I will for as long as I can…😊 Have an awesome week 😊

4. I love your blog keep up the great work

5. freebutfun says:

Sounds like sound advice at the end! Would love to expkore the area.

You should explore the area. It is really unique and if you’re lucky – they might even be filming on that day. πŸ™‚

Truly is! No wonder it’s used in a lot of Hollywood films 😊

6. bunchup says:

Very lovely pictures.

Thanks! 😊

7. All your pictures are breathtaking 😍❀ thanks for sharing your adventures

Thank you! I’m glad you liked the pictures😊

1. You are welcome dear πŸ™‚

8. The Twentysomething Social Recluse says:

Thanks for sharing this! I would love to hike there!

You should…you’ll love it 😊

9. Looks like a cool place for a hike.

It is because the rock formations are pretty neat! 😊

10. This is a beautiful post – lovely pictures. A great place to visit sometimes in the future!

Thank you for your kind words! I truly appreciate it.

Thanks for the reblog!

11. Nishita13 says:

I want to go here. One question, are there any chances of actually being eaten up by the majestic animal?

I have been here several times and have not seen it at all. But if you ever go to any place with mountain lions just make sure to take the usual precautions. It’s better to go with a group of people if you decide to visit Vasquez Rocks and generally on the weekends there are lots of people in the area. 😊

12. Fabulous post Bel.. on the subject of mountain lions we were hiking up to the snow line above Tahoe and came across a steaming paw print in the snow…to say that put us on guard was an understatement… stunning photos thanks.

Oh wow – I haven’t even been that close! I do wish to see one but definitely from a safe distance πŸ˜‚

1. Yes preferably through binoculars! Lovely posts thank you and look forward to exploring more.

13. bpsenapati says:

Beautiful pictures, Bel! Lovely post!

14. Hi, I have a favor that I ask for all my friends (I’m contacting more than 1000 of my friends, because they couldn’t find me)

If you have no trouble opening my site you can ignore this message.
    I messed up my site link. I made a little change and got in big trouble.
    My old site (deleted, that’s why you can’t find me anymore)

My new site is The Shower of Blessings (the β€œs” is in different place, so is the link)
    The new link is https://theshowerofblessings.wordpress.com

You may have to click the new link and follow my new site again in order to see me show up in your Reader.

Sorry for the trouble. Thank you, Miriam

Hi Miriam! Thanks for the heads up and will make sure to add you to my reader. πŸ™‚

1. I really appreciate your effort!

15. shraddha1993 says:

Awesome blog! Awesome way to share ur experience!!

16. The opening quote 🀘🀘🀘 Stunning place it is πŸ™‚

Truly a stunning place ❀️ Thanks!

17. Raj says:

Wonderful post Bel… I have nominated you for a Versatile Blogger Award… Please check this link

Thanks Raj for taking time to read my post. Appreciate the nomination. πŸ‘

1. Raj says:

Its always my pleasure.. πŸ™‚

18. Great photos. Wow, we now want to travel there.

I know it’s pretty cool. You inspired me to do my own backyard exploration before I hit the road again in a couple of weeks. I figured you’d appreciate this…😊

1. We did. Isn’t it fun re-looking. Love it. Thank you. Looking forward to more. We know you got a lot more.

Lol! The pressure 😊 I won’t let you down!

19. Thank you for a lovely post. Now I have wanderlust!

I’m glad you liked it. Thank you so much for your kind words. 😊

1. My pleasure. Happy writing! πŸ™‚

20. What cool rock formations, Bel. I can understand why it’s a popular filming place, rugged and alien-looking. And fun to climb around on. I can’t bring my husband there because he’ll run away from the mountain lions, screaming. Ha ha.

Omg! Your comment made me laugh out loud. I could just imagine it too. Oooh I have an idea – you could use the cool rock formations as a setting for your new novel? How exciting is that πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

1. I don’t know if you’ve heard of “Fantasy Canyon” in Utah. It doesn’t seem well-known and no one is ever there, but it’s amazing. The most bizarre rock formations ever. You can see pictures of in on the web and if you’re back in Utah sometime, it’s worth a visit. I based a small scene of the book “The Bone Wall” there. Filming one of my books? That would indeed be exciting!

You just added a list to places I have to go back and see in Utah. I was trying to move on from that place πŸ˜‚ But it’s just too beautiful. That’s awesome you based a small scene of your book there. It would be cool to have one of your books(or all of them be a movie or even a TV show). πŸ˜‚

21. Beautiful photos yet again Bel. Looks so arid. And this reminds me that I have yet to cross paths with a mountain lion on any of my hikes. Looks like I need to hike on the western have of the continent more often…

I was hoping I’d see one – from a safe distance – while I was inside my car πŸ˜‚ Unfortunately, they were actually filming some show when I was there and probably scared any wildlife away…

22. I was there years ago. Not sure if it’s still there. But, did you find the overhang with a that has the nest of the mated ravens? I got an amazing photo there. Thanks for the memories!!

I think I know what you’re talking about – there’s an owl that lives there now…send me a picture if you still have it πŸ˜‚

1. An enraged ex and 14,000 plus photos mysteriously disappeared. Those of the Vasquez Rocks area were among those. But, I do have a little something you might like and will post it on the blog for you to read. πŸ™‚ Hopefully, you’ll like it

Oh bummer about the enraged ex and photos disappearing. πŸ˜• I can’t wait for the blog post and will keep an eye out for it. 😊

23. Very cool and my favorite was the witches hat πŸ˜‰

It’s pretty cool, huh! 😊 Thanks!

1. Downright awesome πŸ˜‰

24. bethanyk says:

Wow those are some cool formations!

Really cool! There’s a lot more to see when you visit…😊❀️

1. bethanyk says:

I shall be vicariously living through you! So I’m glad you post such awesome stuff

Aww you are so sweet! Thank you so much for your kind words I hope you realize how greatly appreciated it is…😊

25. wyco says:

Thanks for sharing this amazing spot!

😊 Glad you liked it!