“I lost my heart to the ocean, and with it a piece of my soul.” – Author Unknown
We are a few days away from summer here in Sunny Southern California. I figured why not start a summer beach series as part of my blog to add variety to my mostly rocky adventures. It may come as a surprise to you but the ocean/sea will always be my first love. The moment I learned how to swim (thanks to my dad) I knew it would be hard to take me away from the water. Growing up, all I ever wanted was a small cottage by the ocean. The dream is still somewhere hidden under a pile of reality and never ending bills. Perhaps, someday…
Mandalay Beach is located in Oxnard, CA and has no facilities. I like that it is secluded and you could easily find street parking (absolutely free) right in front of the beach. No long walks lugging around your heavy beach gear. I prefer heading to the beach early morning on a weekday. You could easily pick the perfect spot to set up and there are no crowds. I saw a few people surf fishing from the shore which means you can take home fresh catch seafood for lunch. Not a bad deal.
After spending a couple of hours on the beach, we decided to head over to Channel Island Harbor right next to Silver Strand Beach. A wide range of activities from kayaking to stand-up paddle boarding are available in this area. Parking is completely free and there are restroom facilities on this beach. Silver Strand beach is popular and gets really crowded even on a regular day.
Tips for this beach trip:
1. If you decide to check out Mandalay Beach – remember there are no facilities. Dogs aren’t allowed in this beach either.
2. Bring a cooler. Load it up with ice and drinks. See link below for different beach coolers.
Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure and Disclosures
3. Bring a beach umbrella to beat the heat and a beach chair to make your stay comfortable. I cannot recommend the Tommy Bahama beach umbrella enough. You can tilt it to where the sun is and the built in sand anchor screws in perfectly to the sand. The Tommy Bahama beach chair is also very easy to use and it folds and you can carry it like a backpack.
4. Check out the cute dresses and cover ups on the links below.
5. Last but not the least. The best way to end a day at the beach is to get some ice cream before heading home. We stopped by a yogurt place and it definitely hit the spot.