California Dreamin’ in Santa Barbara

“I’m caught up in a dream. I’m gonna wish for it all. No one’s gonna tell me how, no way this is my dream now.” – Tesla (band)

view

Santa Barbara is nestled between Santa Ynez mountains and Pacific Ocean providing breathtaking views along the coast. The drive from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara is quite scenic making it difficult to focus on driving at times. You have the option to ride the Amtrak and take in the beauty of the beaches along the way.

unnamed
Stearns Wharf

Stearns Wharf is a famous tourist attraction in Santa Barbara. I tend to avoid crowds but I just had to drop by to show you how pretty it is and definitely worth an hour of your time if you are ever in the area. The parking is free for 90 minutes and there are a couple of restaurants on the pier and a cute shop to buy some souvenirs.

IMG_7464
Walking along Stearns Wharf

FullSizeRender (12)

FullSizeRender
The birds were kind enough to pose for a picture.

I hope you liked the pictures and enjoyed Stearns Wharf as much as I did! However, I am extremely excited to take you to One Thousand Steps Beach which was the main reason for my trip to Santa Barbara.  The actual steps on the stairs only amount to around 150 not 1000 – trust me, I counted it.

one thousand steps

It doesn’t really look inviting at first but that will change the moment you hit the shaded area of the stairway.

IMG_7462

I was totally blown away by this view and needed a full minute to take it all in.

stairway

The best thing about this beach is not having a lot of people there. It’s like having your own private beach. However, please note that the entire beach is covered in water during high tide and comes up all the way to a portion of the concrete stairs.  The steps are always extremely slippery and filled with moss so please be careful.

a thousand steps

Tips for this trip:

1. Don’t go to One Thousand Steps during high tide. The entire beach is covered in water. Park on the street (read the signs)
2. If possible, schedule your visit on a weekday to Stearns Wharf to avoid huge crowds.
3.I don’t recommend lugging around a beach umbrella or a chair up and down the stairs. To protect your face from the sun wear some sunscreen and check out this cute beach hat.

Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure.

Beach Hats

4. If you want to stay at One Thousand Steps beach for an hour or two. Bring a beach towel.

Beach Towels

I haven’t even scratched the surface on all the beautiful places to visit in Santa Barbara. There are so many things to do in this city.

It’s time for you to start your beachin’ summer and check out the deals on the travel website links listed below. Please read full Disclosures

1. Priceline
priceline.com for the best deals in travel!

2. Expedia
Expedia.com – Hotels

3.  Hotwire

Amazing Hotels at Incredible Prices

1. Loved the photographs and explanation is quite useful to visit the place.

Thank you! I’m glad you liked the pictures and descriptions. 😊

1. Hey Bel I’ve nominated you for this unique blogger award, since I admire your posts, you can also participate if you wish to or you can just leave a comment on my post, here’s the link

2. Mike Otis says:

Beautiful beyond words. This would be a very good experience I know you enjoy your travels keep living life to the best that you can.

I’m trying 😊 Thanks so much!

1. Mike Otis says:

No problem at all. Keep it up

3. foodzesty says:

Hi Bell!! I really like your blog 🙂 Love the pictures, and how you describe what needs to be taken into consideration while visiting the different areas you have posted. 🙂 can’t wait to read your next post. Sophie 🙂

Hi, Sophie! Thanks for your kind words. We’ll get along great because I love food 😊 Looking forward to reading more of yours as well!

1. foodzesty says:

Have a lovely day/evening. 🙂

You too! Have an awesome week 😊

3. foodzesty says:

Thanks!!! 🙂

4. bpsenapati says:

Gorgeous photos! And love the way you write!

5. Wow! This beach, the photos, and the commentary – all stunning! You got me feeling like a beach trip to Santa Barbara is in order!

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad it makes you want to go to Santa Barbara. It is such a beautiful place and you should definitely visit it! 😊

6. You have an eye for beauty. I have been to Santa Barbara but never heard of this beach. Thanks!

Thank you, Paula. I’m glad you liked it 😊

7. Bhavana says:

Beautiful pics with detailed description….liked all your post

8. Fab pictures and lovely commentary. Thanks so much! This area is on my bucket list now. I think you would love Ireland’s North West coast and the Wild Atlantic Way especially the coastline from Slieve League, through Glencolmkille and on round to Malin Mor and Malin Beagh. It’s ful of spectacular cliffs and coves, amazing little bay beaches and one with lots of steps down just like this one.

I would love to see Ireland one day! The landscape is pretty incredible there😊 It’s on my list of top 5 places to visit. Thanks 😊

9. Ralph Nyadzi says:

Breathtaking scenery all through. I love nature and I love the pose of those kind birds along the way. The most memorable thing I know about Santa Barbara was a TV series going by that exotic name I watched many years ago. I loved it more than anything else. Though I may never set foot in these places I’ll keep the memories as long as I live.Please keep on sharing.

I’m glad you liked the pictures. Santa Barbara is a special place and the scenery is stunning. Thank you for your comment and kind words. It is truly appreciated.

10. A truly amazing spot and you paid it great homage with your beautiful description. 😉

Thank you 😊 I always go to Santa Barbara to relax and get away from LA!

1. I can see why, it’s a beautiful escape 😉

11. Love your posts and your pictures! 🙂

Thank you! I appreciate it 😊

12. onyx-natasha says:

Hi Bel, I nominated you for the Mystery Blogger Award at https://valuesimplicity.wordpress.com/2017/06/24/simply-beautiful-morning/ Blessings-Onyx.Natasha

1. onyx-natasha says:

Dear Bel , you are very welcome, I’m so sorry I gave you the wrong page address for the nomination questions, my bad! Here is the correct address for the nomination!

13. Goober says:

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. A hundred and fifty steps up a steep incline should be worth a thousand. If it’s hot outside, make that fifteen hundred. Seriously, they’re on to some sort of exertion scale out there in Santa Barbara. Nice pictures and solid writing.

Lol! The view and the ocean makes it worth the steep climb. As long as you don’t slip and hurt yourself 😊 Thank you! I appreciate the compliment 😊

1. Goober says:

I’m on the east coast. The toughest beach to get to around here has a ten maybe fifteen foot sand dune to climb. The ramps are so long and drawn out it’s practically a cake walk. You probably could appreciate the views more in Santa Barbara because it’s more difficult to get to.

I like both – If I plan on just spending the day at the beach I prefer those easier to get to while lugging a ton of stuff. There are days when I’m not so lazy and I do the moderate hikes just to reach the top 😊 The East has lovely waterfalls and hikes as well – hoping I could hit a few of them later this year.

3. Goober says:

The Gulf of Mexico is beautiful this time of year. I drew a cartoon once about the spill with a guy out on a tiny island exhausted from the heat, looking behind him to see 50-gallon barrels and an oil slick coming his way. He says to himself, “as if it couldn’t get any worse.” But don’t let that stop you, lol. Or are you going up north?

Wow! Tempting 😊 That cartoon is hilarious. I’m looking forward to reading more of your blog and cartoons. Love the art works (i’m an expert in stick drawings) and the humor. I have not yet decided but who knows where the roads will take me? 😊 I will definitely add your suggestion to my neverending list of places to visit! 😊

5. Goober says:

Aw man, somebody’s looking forward to it. That means I have to keep doing it. I’m actually thinking of changing up the style and doing cartoons that aren’t politically themed. And maybe a strip versus a panel. Stick drawings are really in right now. And they’re way easier to animate

You should definitely mix it up! I would love to see what other ideas you would come up with – the one you just mentioned was pretty funny in my honest opinion 😊I also like strip – when I was a little girl I loved reading the strip comics in the newspaper and I still do (The New Yorker has lots of it)…And don’t even get me started with Snoopy and Calvin 😂

7. Goober says:

Calvin is great. I learned a lot from reading Bill Watterson lately. I had no idea how good he was when I was a kid. More of a Far side fan, a Garfield fan. As for the New Yorker, they write the nicest rejection letters. Politics is so divisive, and nobody seems to be able to take a joke.

Yeah – it is very divisive. I agree. Garfield is awesome! I read and watch him on tv as well but I appreciated the comics more than the show.

14. micketalbot says:

Oops, messed up, as they were going to be a surprise. but I am still going to post them to my blog, and leave PB. What I forgot to mention is that I was inspired by all your post that came up on your opening page.

Thank you for the pingback and the poem. Santa Barbara is an amazing place! I’m glad it inspired you😊

1. micketalbot says:

It did that! Truly sorry for the mix up in posting

No worries! I hope you have an awesome Sunday 😊

3. micketalbot says:

Bless! You too.

Thanks 😊

15. It is truly a beautiful, relaxing place. (I hate those steps!) LMAO! 😀 😉

You always make me laugh with your comments. California wants you back – time to leave Arizona 😜 😊

1. I AGREE with you…especially after this week of ridiculous temperatures! 😉

Lol! Right? 😂

16. So pretty. I love the cliffs and the secluded beach. It looks so relaxing 😀

I knew you’d love it! It may be another setting for one of your future bestsellers ❤️…

1. Ha ha. California Dreamin’. My stepson lives down that way. Who knows – I might get to climb those steps soon. 😀

That’s awesome…and you definitely should like during summer and when it’s low tide.😊

17. Liza says:

I had this same adventure last month! It was my first time to Santa Barbara and I found it stunning and lively. Thanks for bringing me back 🙂

That’s awesome. You are right it is lively and relaxing as well. 😊 Glad I brought you back to good memories 😊

18. WaltPage says:

I had my training at Vandenberg AFB and loved that area. Beautiful! Thanks for the memories 🙂 ❤

Hi, Walt! That’s awesome. I’m glad it brought back good memories. 😊

19. Ana P. Rose says:

Wow, thanks. Looks beautiful. I’ve never been there. I ought to since I live in Cali.

Hi. Ana! You definitely should visit. I’m sur you’ll like Santa Barbara 😊

1. Ana P. Rose says:

Seems like I will 😀

20. Love the photographs ❤ and the write up.

Thank you! Santa Barbara is amazing 😊

1. Yes i can see its beauty through your post.

You are too kind! I truly appreciate it.😊

21. 365daysofnewwithafewtriedandtrue says:

So, want make it back to Santa Barbara. It’s one of my favorite places I’ve traveled.

Santa Barbara is really unforgettable. I’m lucky that it’s only a few hours away from me and I get to go back at least once every few months. 😊 Thanks for your comment!

22. The drive from LA to SB omg so beautiful. Right after Ventura where you have the coast on one side and the mountains on the other. Was wondering what happened to you! Glad to see you back on here and with more adventures of yours 🙂

I know! it’s like having the best of both worlds. The mountains and the ocean – what more can I ask for right? The weather was around 100 yesterday so I just had to go to the beach to cool down! 😊

1. Truly the best in this heat right!? And yes totally the best of both worlds, I used to love when I played poker in Ventura so I could enjoy the drive 🙂

Ventura has amazing beaches too and still hoping I get the chance to see Channel Islands this summer 😊

3. I haven’t even heard of those before hahaha. I hope you do too so I can get the inside scoop 🙂

I’ve been to one beach north of Ventura which was really beautiful but I forgot what it was called 😦 lol

Lol! For sure 😊 Maybe you went to Carpinteria beach. It’s right before Santa Barbara.

5. I just googled around I think it was either El Capitan State park or Goleta one of those! 😌🤗

Oh that’s way up north after Santa Barbara! They have beautiful beaches there…😊

23. I loved reading this! Gorgeous photos too 🙂

Thank you! Santa Barbara is so scenic😊

1. I know. The ocean is really pretty 😊

24. Heard of this beach but haven’t been…will have to put it on my to-do list! Thxs :o)

You are welcome 😊 Thank you!