Finding Paradise in Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes

“I am happy out here. Messy hair, dirty feet & wild water on my skin. Out here with the wild things; this is where I belong.” – Brooke Hampton

FullSizeRender (13)
Oso Flaco Lake

Oso Flaco Lake is a hidden gem located near Nipomo, California. The boardwalk leads to 4 different beautiful sceneries. You’ll have to walk from the parking lot ($5 fee) into a slightly paved road before turning left on the boardwalk. You will find warning signs for bears and mountain lions as you enter the park.

FullSizeRender (14)
Oso Flaco Lake

The place is very peaceful and you could see different kinds of birds surrounding the lake. There are several benches along the way to sit, relax, and read interpretive signs on the birds and plants in the area.

FullSizeRender (4)

The next part of the path will show you all the trees and plants in the area. The poisonous plants are the giant stinging nettle, poison oak, and poison hemlock (plant used to poison Socrates).

FullSizeRender (15)

The boardwalk continues to the sand dunes and you will see the fenced-off areas on both sides. This is to protect the snowy plover habitat. Obviously, if you’ve been following my blog from the start you know I’m unable to resist my trademark jump.

IMG_7951

The path ends with a magnificent view of the ocean and the sand dunes. You have the option of heading straight to beach or just sitting at the viewpoint area on the boardwalk.

FullSizeRender (16)
Oso Flaco Dunes
FullSizeRender (17)
Oso Flaco Dunes and Beach

Afterwards, you may visit Rancho Guadalupe Preserve if you want to see more sand dunes connected to the ocean. The parking is free but limited and it is only a couple of miles away from Oso Flaco. I highly recommend visiting this place as well.

IMG_7805
Rancho Guadalupe Dunes
IMG_7950
Rancho Guadalupe Dunes

Pismo beach was a last minute addition to the trip. It was approximately 30 miles away and definitely worth the visit. Margo Dodd Park is quite perfect. There is enough free street parking and at the end of Pier st. you will find beach access to a ruggedly beautiful terrain with a large tide pool area.

FullSizeRender (18)
Pismo Beach- Margo Dodd park
FullSizeRender (19)
Pismo Beach Stair Access- Margo Dodd

Tips for this trip.

1. Bring lots of water and snacks. All these places are beautiful and you might want to stay longer than expected. Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes is quite isolated so you have to come prepared.

2. Wear sunglasses and bringing a scarf may come in handy. It’s very windy and you don’t want to get sand in your eyes, nose, or mouth. Please check out links below.

Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure

Sunglasses

Desert Scarf

3. Wear beach sandals. You don’t really need hiking shoes for this trip since you’ll be walking on a boardwalk and mostly sand on both areas. Please check out links below.

Beach Sandals for Women

Beach Sandals for Men

4. Here are the addresses for each place:

Oso Flaco Lake address: Oso Flaco Lake Rd Guadalupe, CA 93434

Rancho Guadalupe Preserve address: 6350 W Main St, Guadalupe, CA 93434

Margo Dodd Park (Pismo Beach) address: 401 Ocean Blvd, Pismo Beach, CA 9344

If you are ready to book your next trip. Please read full Disclosures and check out the travel websites below.

Expedia
 Today’s Travel Deals – New Deals Every Day on Expedia!

Hotels.com
Hotels.com: Enjoy up to 50% savings with Secret Prices when you use the free Hotels.com App!

Priceline
priceline.com for the best deals in travel!

1. Me says:

Gosh the pics are wayyy beautiful ❤
    Xx

Thank you! It was a pretty amazing place 😊

2. Your photographs are great and I was surprised at the warning of large predators. Ooo-good to know! I live in Upstate NY and bears are prevalent in the area, but I don’t really worry about it, although I pay attention to some of the safety advice that comes my way. I think a bear ate the bird seed from our feeder and then squashed it, so I didn’t replace it. Thanks for your blog.

Thank you, Constance! Yeah there was a warning sign. I guess as long as you stay out of their way and not startle them it should be okay. I didn’t see any when I was there and the place is quite secluded and lovely. 😊

Thanks for the reblog!

3. edgarone2 says:

Thank you.
    I like your photos and narrative.

You’re welcome. Glad you liked it!

4. I love that shot of Pismo Beach Stair Access!

Thank you! It’s one of my favorite pictures too. 😊

5. janaknmistry says:

wow, I love the write-up and of course the photograph too. Would love to visit the place some day. Have a good weekend

Thank you 😊 Have an awesome weekend.

6. kai9 says:

Wow, loved the crispness of the place – the dunes via your stellar photos

Thank you! It’s an incredible place to visit 😊

7. Emma says:

Such beautiful photos!

It’s a really beautiful place. Thank you 😊

8. Jack and Amy says:

This is just so beautiful!

Thank you! It truly is a one of a kind place and surprised me as well 😊

9. Oh, that looks gorgeous! I love your photos, too!!

Thank you! The place was stunning and secluded. It’s like I’m in an entirely different place.

10. Amazing shots! And that jump tho…. hahaha classic!👍

Hi, Christopher! Thanks. Lol! I live for the jumps 😂

1. A yo…. you should make that jump your signature thing In ever post…. I’m just saying😃

Lol! I try. Did you see the one in monument valley and another in grand canyon post? 😂 I kind of insert it once in a while…😜

3. Lol! Naw not yet… but I deffenetly will and there ain’t nothing you can do about it…lol! 😜😜😜

😂👍😊

11. Shannon says:

What an amazing place! I love California so much!

Hi, Shannon! Yes, it truly is a beautiful place and there are so many hidden gems to explore. I really love it. 😊

1. Shannon says:

We go out to San Francisco every year and I always look forward to it. I would love to live out there.

Yes, San Francisco is very scenic. I love the vibe out there and it’s also an hour away from Napa and Sonoma ❤️

12. Hope says:

Love your pictures!

Thank you!! 😊

13. mikejyde says:

Great work. I love the beautiful scenes. Our planet is just too beautiful.

It is a beautiful place. Thank you! 😊

14. Diana Culda says:

Your blog is a breath of fresh air. Thank you XD

Hi, Diana! I’m glad you liked it. 😊 Thanks!

15. Pamela Young says:

Your blog photos are gorgeous and I appreciate the common structure of each post and minimal text. Very appropriate to what you’re doing.

Thanks, Pamela! I try to make it easy to read and not overload it with too much information. I’m glad you like the photos 😊

2. Diana Culda says:

It is exactly what I needed today ! I guess the universe sometimes conspires well XD.

The ocean is always the answer ❤️

2. Diana Culda says:

Right !?! I miss smelling the salt when I wake up in the morning. Have a lovely day, Bel XD

Have an awesome day, Diana! 😊

16. This looks like paradise. I love the beach. Also I like the way your blog looks. It is the perfect theme for what you are doing.

Thank you! It is an amazing place and I enjoyed a little bit of paradise😊 Appreciate the kind words as well.

17. Chandra Lynn says:

Beautiful images! Love this post. I love the ocean. I miss living closer to water. 😦

I’m the same way, Chandra. I love the ocean – it is soothing and calming ❤️ I wish I lived right by the ocean that would be a dream 😊 Thanks so much for the kind words.

1. Chandra Lynn says:

Yes…definitely a dream. My only problem is hurricane season. :-/

Lol! Maybe living on the mountains overlooking the ocean to be at a safe distance…😊

18. So interesting!!! You find the coolest places! It makes me want to head West again.

You’re gonna love it especially Oso Flaco – it’s kid friendly and your sons would enjoy it! There were a lot of families that came out when I was there…Time for a summer family trip out here 😊

19. bpsenapati says:

Beautifully describe about the place! Love the post and fall in love with the place.

Yes, I love it. So peaceful and secluded. Thanks 😊

1. bpsenapati says:

You’re welcome

20. Of all the great photos you shared, the raw rocky cove of Pismo Beach really called to me. Looks like the kind of place I could scramble around and get soggy feet in. Cheers for letting us tag along!

It’s really pretty and they have tidepools too. I wasn’t planning on writing about Pismo because there was more than enough with the dunes but it turned out to be amazing so I just had to…and now I have to come back and explore that area a little more 😊 Glad you liked it, Gabe!

21. Your description of the place is so beautiful that I’m willing to visit 🙂

It really is a lovely place and so peaceful too! You’ll love it 😊

22. beautiful pics! <3!!! how high can you jump my friend? shoot for the stars! ;0) all these gorgeous pics on wordpress and insta are making a non-beach <3er like me wanting to go to the beach! :o)

23. Almost makes me want to move from Nebraska to California!

Isn’t it pretty cool out here?!😊 I love all these places! ❤️

24. SHRADHA099 says:

WOW! ❤ This place is amazing! 🙂

I feel exactly the same way about these places! Thank you ❤️

25. tonyalalonde says:

I love how you get and capture God’s beauty! Muah! ❤

Hi, Tonya! Thank you ❤️

1. tonyalalonde says:

You are warmly welcome! Keep up the great work! 🙂

😊🤗

26. Lovely landscapes, Bel. I used to play on the dunes of Cape Cod as a kid and had to go to the doctor to get the sand washed out of my ears. Ha ha. Now, I like to sit on them – skip the rolling around like a goof ball. The rugged shore with the tide pools is my favorite beach scenery these days. Beautiful.

Hi, Diana! You seem to have so much fun adventures I’d love to hear or read more about ❤️ It’s nice being a kid and rolling along dunes and not worry about anything at all! I miss those days – I still am a bit silly and crazy but people give me weird looks…😂

1. Just do it. and have fun. But be careful of getting too much sand in your ears!

Lol I probably will! 😂 Thanks for the tip! 😜

27. What a place. Great photos.

Thank you Tom and Audrey! I’m still working on making a video that you inspired me to do…it’s a lot of work 😊

1. This is so incredibly, awesomely, wonderfully great to hear. You being inspired to do this is going to be a treasure. Yes, it is very hard work as we are discovering but each day we get a little better at it. Especially when there are so many seasoned bloggers out here to show us through their works. Stick with it please.

I will – I actually think your video stands out. I’ve seen a lot out there but yours was the one that inspired me to actually do it. I’ve done several video editing for personal stuff (family, sports events) but I haven’t done it with my travels. Thank you for your support ❤️

3. Bel this is exciting. As you keep at it you’ll grow and grow. Its like everything else, its a process. Then, before you know you are there.

28. wyco says:

Amazingly beautiful destination…it gets the daydreams fired up. Thanks for sharing with us!

You’re welcome! Yeah – definitely a place where you can daydream and forget about reality. Thanks for reading 😊

29. Another beautiful place! Being off the beaten path makes it seem like another world.

Were you there for the sunset?

No, I was there earlier. It was actually really cold and I wasn’t prepared for the weather – but I plan to come back for either sunrise or sunset. It feels completely like a different world. I honestly didn’t want to go back home😉

30. Barry Comer says:

I love the ocean, except for that constant “whooshing” of the waves. The sound agitates me. Strange.

Maybe listening to music would help while hanging out on the beach. You get everything but the “whooshing” sound of the waves. 😊

31. Wow are you still in that area Bel cause if you are I can tell you tons of places to go… My son and daughter were born in San Luis Obispo and my oldest went to elementary school for 3 yrs in Nipomo what a small world 😘💖😘💖

Tell me anyway! I’m just a couple of hours away from this area – what would you recommend? 😊

1. Go to Montana De Oro… In Morro Bay is incredible, tide pools etc gorgeous and it’s also when the huge huge huge California Condor nests perfect time of year to get to see one… Further up north about 30 minutes from Morro Bay is Cambria.. beautiful artsy town and close to Hurst Castle… Seal Beach is up there too where you can see bunches of elephant seals that are amazing… Go clamming in Pismo Beach and has done if the best chowder ever… That’s a start my friend lol

Lol so much to see! I’ve been to Morro Bay once but it was a long time ago and I probably didn’t get to see the tide pools! I wish I could afford to just travel for the rest of my life 😊 I will add all your awesome suggestions to my list ❤️

3. Oh and a ton of great wineries in Paso Robles about an hour from you too

I love wine and wineries ❤️ Thanks Ricci! Appreciate the awesome recommendations 😊👍

5. My pleasure Bel Lived there for 20 yrs my friend.. Paso Robles has some amazing wineries and the town itself is quaint and highway route 46 is up there too it’s the road that James Dean crashed on… Lots of history there and beautiful too… Check your email gotta show you something 💖💖💖💖💖

Dang – now I have a new place to visit and write about ❤️ I can’t wait – and ooh – I will check my email and I’m hoping it is what I think it is “van lifestyle” 😜

7. You will love San Luis Obispo (SLO) the county seat of that area… My son graduated from SLO high… So many places I wish I was there to take you… And you’ll love the email 😘💖😘💖

I love it! I just responded to it ❤️ I hope I’ll be able to do it one day – you are such an inspiration ❤️

9. I’m definitely picking it up next Tuesday no matter what!!! I’ll respond to the email too 💖💖💖

Yay!!! So excited for you.

11. Thanks 😘💖💖💖💖💖 I’ll totally keep you posted

❤️🤗😊

32. Such a beautiful place to be 🙂

Glad I found it! 😊 It was quite peaceful as well..

1. Yes, it looks peaceful, tranquil and appealing so I’m delighted you shared it 🙂

It is an awesome place! Thank you 😊