Santa Monica Sunset, Beach Volleyball, and Pipe Dreams

“Let us die young or let us live forever
Heaven can wait we’re only watching the skies
Turn our golden faces into the sun…
Forever young, I want to be forever young.”
– Alphaville

IMG_8604

Sometimes I feel, or rather know, that this blog is mostly a pipe dream. Like volleyball, I pour my heart and soul into it knowing that this won’t pay my bills and yet I do it anyway. On the surface, you’ll find a practical and pragmatic woman but deep down there’s still that little girl with dreams of escaping the monotony of life. I’m pretty lucky to have friends who add color to this perfectly ordinary existence. So when my friend suggested playing some beach volleyball in Santa Monica how could I possibly resist?

IMG_8590

Santa Monica Pier is a famous tourist attraction. Even on a regular weekday, the place is extremely crowded. There are tons of parking ranging from $3/hour all the way to $15/day close to the beach. You could also park for 90 minutes free in Downtown Santa Monica but it is a bit of a walk to the pier from there.

IMG_8592 (2)

You’re probably wondering why I’m recommending a place that is crowded, charge expensive parking fees, and famous for gridlock traffic. The thing is, the pier is full of life. I mean how fun is it to ride a rollercoaster with the ocean as a view? It also holds special memories. I took my first surfing classes there, which was an epic fail by the way, but who cares? Did I also mention that the sand is perfect for beach volleyball?

IMG_8569.jpg

IMG_8585

We played til sundown. I would have stayed til midnight if my shoulder and back weren’t bothering me. If only I were in my 20s again. On the way back to our parking, the view of the pier was stunning. I just had to take a picture.

SONY DSC

Tips for this trip.

1. If you want to avoid crowds, the best time to go is early in the morning.
2. Bring change for parking.
3. Please check my post Beachin’ Day at Mandalay for other recommended beach gears.
4. If you want to play some beach volleyball. All you need are the following:
Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through
links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure

Beach Volleyball
Wilson Official AVP Outdoor Volleyball

Beach Lines
Park & Sun Sports Adjustable Outdoor Volleyball Boundary Webbing with Ground Stakes: 1″ Wide Court Line Marker, Blue

Sand Socks (I only recommend wearing this in the summer because the sand gets really hot)
Vincere Unisex Sand Socks Neoprene Beach Scuba Snorkel Shoes (Black, Medium)

1. … May you always be courageous,
    Stand upright and be strong,
    May you stay forever young,
    Forever young, forever young,
    May you stay forever young…

That’s a Bob Dylan song…❤️ May we all stay forever young at heart 😊

2. Cool blog and nice pictures!

3. csanjaya says:

its beautiful, really is! great pics.!

4. Another great song Bel (and I know this one;) ). Reminds me of my younger days (waaaaaayyyy back) when beach volleyball took the place of Calculus or Physics. Good times. Good times…

Omg! You played too? I used to recruit players like it was nobody’s business 😂 My friends used to tease me that I should have taken a Master’s Degree in doubles volleyball😜 Forever young is classic – how could it not be a great song? What I would give to be 21 again….😊

1. hehehe not to brag… but I could TOTALLY rock the Top Gun High Five 😉 (which obviously means I was a gifted baller)

Lol, Gabe! We all know that’s totally a game changer 😜

5. The water and sun soothe body and soul. It is good to be in nature and lose yourself in the moment with volleyball. Who can tire of beach sand? I prefer less crowded places but this too is fun. ^__^

Right? There’s something about it that can make you forget the crowd and it’s so vast that you can still find your space away from it all. 😊

1. Being in the moment…

Exactly 😊❤️

6. Love is post. Thanks for a fantastic read!

7. Great photos! Makes me want to play volleyball again haha

Thanks! Yeah, you totally should play vball again. 😊👍

8. ellie894 says:

Thank you Bel, Your site is inspiring! Your photos are beautiful! You make me want to go places myself. Your dream is as strong as your heart. Keep being that little girl deep down. That’s where you’re Real. 😌

Lol the problems of a dreamer right? 😊 I love your comment and I’ll try my best to not give up on my dreams. Thank you so much! 😊

9. bpsenapati says:

Beautiful photos! Beautiful penned! Love the post!

Thanks a lot. Truly appreciate it! 😊

10. Jack and Amy says:

We had never heard of sand socks until my daughter played soccer in the sand in Grand Haven, Michigan! Those things were life savers!

Especially during Summer! The heat will burn your soles. I use it a lot when I play beach volleyball. You are right. It is a lifesaver.

11. Such lovely pictures, and a lovely place.

Santa Monica is really lovely! Thank you 😊

12. jelmo88 says:

Being that this is the first post I’m reading of yours it’s refreshing to be able to get to know a sliver of you through your adventures. Thank you for sharing

I appreciate it. Glad you liked it! 😊

13. Absolutely wonderful place truly looks like a dream come true

Thank you! Santa Monica is a great place.

14. Gosh, if I only could pack my suitecase immediately and take a plane to L.A….

Lol! Right? Especially during summer when the beach is sizzling 😊

15. Wow. Gorgeous vista’s. Thanks for sharing!

You’re welcome 😊

Thanks for the reblog 😊

16. Beautiful photos, Bel, and they complement your words – that sunsets inevitably fall on our youths. Each age brings it sunsets and sunrises, losses and gains. Just enjoy every minute, and remember the wisdom in the cliche – You are only as old as you feel.

Lol! Now why do I wish I had those exact words before I wrote this post. I love the way you phrased it. Thank you Diana for your words of wisdom. It is true – we are only as old as we feel 😊

17. Great photos Bel. It is so good you had the chance to play volley ball again. Even if you are beyond your 20’s you’ll always have the memories of your play. They will be replaced by as good if not better ones.

Hi Tom and Audrey. Yeah, the older I get the more I realize what’s important and I am looking forward to that in a lot of ways. The awesome thing about volleyball is when I travel – if there’a some pick up volleyball near the area I get to play and meet new people. The best of both worlds 😊

1. This is great that you are getting out there and doing it!!! Love it. You are keeping yourself young in doing so.

Young at heart ❤️ I appreciate the kind words as always…😊

3. You are welcome Bel. Be safe.

18. foodzesty says:

Hi! Love your pictures…nice post Bel 🙂

19. I’ve been there! Awesome photos, thank you!

It’s such a nice beach and there’s so much going on all the time. 😊 Thank you!

20. I would love to play beach volleyball in this setting! The last photo is wonderful Bel.

Do you play volleyball too? The sport is so much fun. You’re right about the setting it’s hard to concentrate when the view is amazing! 😊

1. Yes, I love volleyball and played for about 20 years, but gave it up due to chronic pain.

Oh wow! I’m sure I have to give it up sooner rather than later because of my shoulder injury. I’m not looking forward to that – too bad you had chronic pain and can’t play anymore. 😕

3. Thanks Bel. I decided to give it up before chronic pain became permanent. 🙂

21. rashellbud says:

Beautiful pictures … awesome adventure!

Thank you! It was a lovely night as well. The weather cooperated. 😊