Night Hike at Griffith Park – My Old Stomping Grounds

“I lied and said I was busy. But not in a way most people understand. I was busy taking deeper breaths. I was busy silencing irrational thoughts. I was busy calming a racing heart. I was busy telling myself I am okay.” – B. Oakman

Have you ever hiked at night? Don’t you love the company of the mountain lions (from afar), night sky, and city lights once you’ve reached the peak? I have to admit most of the time I prefer hiking solo or with one other person. If you’ve been following my blog I don’t really like big groups. However, night hikes are different for me. For safety reasons, I’d rather be with a group.

Griffith Park is an amazing oasis in Los Angeles. When I used to live in LA, I would hike the trails or go cycling all the way to the top a couple of times a month. However, since I’ve moved I haven’t had the chance to hike it in the last few years. I decided to join a group and visit my old stomping ground. I won’t deny it brought back good memories.

During Halloween, they have the famous Haunted Hayride attraction. The hiking path we took led us to a bird’s eye view of the attraction as well as hearing loud screams of the people being chased by fake monsters and zombies. I mean there’s nothing more comforting than hearing screams while on a night hike right? (Pun obviously intended) It sure made the hike a lot more entertaining.

As soon as we went further along the trail I’ve seriously forgotten how difficult this trail could be once you go off the beaten path. I was completely winded halfway up. I totally blame it on lazily lounging on the beach (or at home) instead of hiking and keeping fit the entire summer. Hiking is definitely not like riding a bike. So I stopped, took a deep breath (and a picture), and watch them walk uphill as seen from the photo below.

But I pushed myself and I did NOT regret it once I saw the view. Yes, I am a complete sucker for a breathtaking view (and a man with a 6 pack) but I’m straying from the topic. How could I have possibly forgotten why Griffith Park will always be worth every single sweat, leg cramping, and painful muscles after each hike?ย  Once again, I’ll let the pictures show what I’m unable to describe in words.ย  From afar, you’ll see the Griffith Observatory and the Greek Theater (where great concerts happen) as well as LA city lights.

What’s up LA? ๐Ÿ™‚

Tips for a night hike:

1. It gets cooler once you reach higher elevation wear layers and bring a sweater.
2. Always bring food and water, the amount varies on the level of difficulty and distance for the hike.
3. Bring a headlamp. You want to keep your hands free while hiking especially on steep inclines.ย  I highly recommend this headlamp from Amazon.
Disclosure:ย  Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through
links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please readย Amazon Affiliate Disclosure

LE Headlamp LED, 4 Modes Headlight, Battery Powered Helmet Light for Camping, Running, Hiking and Reading, 3 AAA Batteries Included

4. If you’re going on tougher hikes, make sure you have decent hiking shoes. Please see link below.

Men’s Hiking Shoes
Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Waterproof Hiking Shoe, Granite, 12 M US

Women’s Hiking Shoes
Merrell Women’s Moab Ventilator Hiking Shoe,Taupe,9 M US

5. Don’t hike alone at night and always let someone know where you’re hiking.

Also, if you’d like to check out what other hiking gears I use/recommend. Please visit my websiteย ย https://nothingbutgears.com/product-category/hiking-gears

Please don’t hesitate to add me on Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and Twitter (the links are available at the bottom of my website).

1. Bhavana says:

Stunning pics Bel…night hike sounds so adventurous . Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! Glad you liked it. Night hike is always fun ๐Ÿ˜Š

2. mskennisha says:

This is super awesome! I love hiking, but never tried it at night. I only ended up walking down a mountain side during dusk and I was almost running all the way down because I heard a strange noise (city girl). Lol. Iโ€™ll consider this in the future, for sure!

-MK

Hi MK! You definitely should try night hiking but go with at least 2 or more people so that itโ€™s fun and not as scary! ๐Ÿ˜Š Let me know when you do. Would love to hear or read about it

1. mskennisha says:

Absolutely! I canโ€™t wait to read more of your blog. Thanks for replying! ๐ŸŒธ

3. Lovely photographs and writing Bel. Especially the haunted hayride. What kind of camera equipment do you use? Keep working toward living the dream.

Thank you so much! Trying my best to live the dream. For this one in particular, I just used my iphone. During my out of town trips, I have a handy point and shoot and a Sony compact SLR. ๐Ÿ˜Š

4. Pazlo says:

Another exclamation about great night photos!

I went on a Snow Moon hike at night (February, of course).
    Snowshoeing under a full moon.
    Breathtaking.
    You must try it.

Seek peace,

Paz

Thanks! I love hiking at night. Itโ€™s just so peaceful and chill .๐Ÿ˜Š

5. karmadoc says:

I’ve never hiked there (I live in Oregon), but on my next trip to LA I will give it a try.

Let me know if you need other hiking spots I could suggest some more ๐Ÿ˜Š

1. karmadoc says:

Thanks for the offer.

6. Lovely post! Iโ€™ve only ever been hiking once but I do enjoy walking a lot. Sometimes itโ€™s nice to just get away so you have time to breathe. ๐Ÿ˜Š

True. I find nature very soothing especially during stressful moments. ๐Ÿ˜Š

7. Hi shouldn’t you always bring your phone as well. There are some new apps that can pinpoint where you are if get lost or injured. sorry I can’t remember their names I heard it on a radio show called Kim Commando last week. ( I was printing so my mind was divided..so I didn’t catch everything.) love your pictures. The lights remind me of an oasis of light.

Lol! I figured that was a given since everyone is attached to their phone nowadays. ๐Ÿ˜Š Yeah there are definitely a lot of apps you can use that will help you during hiking. Thank you for your comment ๐Ÿ˜Š

1. But you wouldn’t believe how many times we’ve run into problems and ” the phone is not juiced” or is dying so I’d say also some kind of solar attachment to rejuice it …do they exist? Im also always surprised how so many people get lost or hurt and no one really knows where they are. That young couple in California just died …it unfortunately happens.

Yeah a portable charger. I have one and it charges the phone to 100%! The problem is, unfortunately, there are places where you donโ€™t have a signal at all. I experienced that during my hikes in some of the National Parks. Iโ€™ve seen some solar powered charges but I havenโ€™t tried it. Iโ€™ll probably write something about it in the near future on what to do if you ever get lost during hiking….

3. I think that’s a great idea. Also what to really carry with you in your back pack…I’m always surprised no one thinks of a light blanket or matches extra water.energy bars etc…even flares..

I kind of do it in bits and pieces on one of my previous blogs I tackled different kinds of fire starters during camping (but it is also important during hiking). But I am totally on board with what you said and will put it in detail. A lot of people get lost, hurt or even die during a simple hike (some from a snake bite)…Better to be prepared than not! Thanks for the suggestions ๐Ÿ˜Š

5. I forgot about the snakes …here we have rattlesnakes..and ticks that carry Lyme disease. So clothes, and shoes are important.

8. Great images Bel, and looks like you selected a great destination/group to night hike with.
    I’m a fan of night hiking as well, particularly when the day-weather is sweltering. Sounds and smells are amplified. And I feel more in tune with my body. Love it.
    Thanks for bringing us along on the virtual hike.

Lol! I just canโ€™t stand the heat. So glad itโ€™s fall now and the weather makes it way better to do the usual hikes during the day. I have to get back in shape with the next series of adventures. Glad to hear from you and hoping to start reading more of your own adventures as well from the long hiking break you took. So jealous! Wish I could just disappear and hike for months….๐Ÿ˜Š

1. hehehe I’ll be happy to share my secret to successfully disappearing for months at a time… if you show ME how to become an Uber-successful blogger like urself!

Lol! Iโ€™m not successful yet – I hope to be soon so I donโ€™t have to work a single day in an office. The unattainable dream! At least you get to live part of the dream by going off on your own to parts unknown. I think you should totally have a youtube video where you have a gopro or something…Itโ€™s kind of Anthony Bourdain style but not with food but outdoor adventures. That would be so cool!

3. hehehe I love the kitchen confidential! In another few years, I may be able to pull off the weathered survivor look. But for now… I’m afraid I look too much like a neglected teddy bear after a few weeks in the woods to subject others to video ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thatโ€™s what makes it real – you know relatable? ๐Ÿ˜‚

9. yoyoyoshioka says:

Osum photography ! ๐Ÿ˜

10. I am a huge fan of night hiking! Completely different experience than daytime hikes. Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, Iโ€™m a sucker for annamazng view of city lights and the night sky. Thanks so much for reading ๐Ÿ˜Š

11. Awesome pictures. I lived in Calif for years and the one thing I am going to check out is Griffith Park observatory! looking forward to reading more of your blog!!

Thank you! Iโ€™m glad you liked it. ๐Ÿ˜Š

12. Oh, wow!! The photos overlooking the city are beautiful! My kind of view ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ’–

Amazing isnโ€™t it? Makes the hike really worth it ๐Ÿ˜Š

13. ariscott says:

I lived in Los Feliz for a year and a half and used to hike in Griffith a couple times a week, doing a 6-mile hike every week. I really miss that part of living in LA.

Yeah itโ€™s a really beautiful area with different levels of hiking. However, it does tend to be overcrowded and now has lots of traffic! ๐Ÿ˜•

14. Iโ€™ve never gone on a night hike, but it looks intriguing. Definitely something to do with a group and a headlamp! Love the photos, Bel, especially the silhouettes of people against the night sky or the city lights โ€“ they have an alien feel to them. Beautiful

You definitely should go for a night hike! Itโ€™s so much fun and the weather is cooler so it helps when youโ€™re going uphill ๐Ÿ˜Š Yeah! I love the silhouettes as well – too bad the LA sky is not as clear as they should be so the stars arenโ€™t as visible like the ones in Northern Cali ๐Ÿ˜Š

1. I’d be scared of the cougars around here, and Sasquatch.

Lol! True! I try not to think about it when Iโ€™m hiking ๐Ÿ˜‚

15. larada2014 says:

I had a memorable night hike as a child above our small country town on a mesa. We were sure we saw a UFO landed in the valley to the west of us. It was thrilling and scary at the same time. It was during the late 60’s and a time when there were a lot of cattle mutilations going on in southeastern Colorado.

Itโ€™s quite an adventure. You have no idea what lurks behind the trees or bushes or like in your case, a UFO sighting. I always feel like we are never really alone in this universe anyway.

16. Totally with you on the 6 pack…

Lol! Iโ€™m not even asking for 8 ๐Ÿ˜œ

17. T. R. Noble says:

Sounds like a lovely trip!

It was definitely a tough but rewarding hike! Thanks ๐Ÿ˜Š

18. Excellent photos. Reblogged on davidbruceblog.

Thanks for the reblog ๐Ÿ˜Š

19. Like you Bel, I love to hike solo or in small groups to appreciate the beauty, quiet, and peace of nature. I’m glad you had the chance to visit trails that inspire you.

Iโ€™m also the stop and stare at the view kind of person – which means Iโ€™m a slow hiker. Most of the time people are in such a hurry to get to the top ๐Ÿ˜Š Nature is such a powerful healer. Thanks, Brad!

1. Agreed Bel. Happy Trails! ๐Ÿ™‚