Discovering the Beauty of Alabama Hills and Red Rock Canyon State Park

“My most memorable hikes can be classified as shortcuts that backfired.” – Edward Abbey

Alabama Hills
I always have this compulsion to throw myself into the unknown when it comes to exploring new places. I’ve heard about Alabama Hills and knew it was one trip I had to take before 2017 ended. So yeah, this is a late post.

Call me naively optimistic but I find the rugged beauty so deeply inspiring, refreshing and good for the soul. Alabama Hills, located in Lone Pine, Ca, is the perfect place to attract outdoor adventurers of all kinds. You’ll find lots of hills and different rock formations all throughout the area. There are no entrance fees and you can camp for free for 14 days (you do need to get Campfire Permit which is required for open fires, such as campfires, barbecues and portable stoves).

Road to Alabama Hills
The main road to get to Alabama Hills is paved. However, to get to the famous Mobius Arch you’ll drive by a dirt road. Don’t worry no 4 wheel drive required here unless you want to go exploring all over the place.

Hiking Path that leads to Mobius Arch
I’m embarrassed to admit that it took me a while to find Mobius Arch. I got lost somewhere along the way and ended up in a different place so I had to go back and find my way again. The easiest way to find both the Lathe Arch and the Mobius Arch is to start on the left side of the hiking path when you reach the parking lot. From there you’ll see both Arches right away. Yes, it was that easy.

Mobius Arch
It’s definitely not as grand as Arches National Park but there is a certain charm. Alabama Hills is also a famous Hollywood Filming Location. Some of the movies filmed were Tremors, Gladiator, Bonanza, and parts of Star Trek Generations.

On the way back to Los Angeles, I had to stop by at Red Rock Canyon State Park in Cantil, CA. I only had a few hours to spare and I took the Hagen Nature Trail which was fairly easy. Considering the hike was a wide open space it would be pretty foolish of me to get lost in this one.

Red Rock Canyon State Park
Like any besotted traveler, it made me wonder how it was formed. Apparently, the entire area used to be under water. Can you believe this was all the bottom of a lake millions of years ago? Wind and water erosion of these layers created the formations throughout Red Rock – This information was provided by the park. Pretty amazing huh?

Red Rock Canyon State Park
Bel’s Tips for this trip:

1.   Before going on a hike, make sure to research about the place and to let someone know where you’ll be hiking.

2. Try not to be a hero. Don’t go alone. (I know I’m guilty of doing this but don’t follow in my footsteps)

3.   Always bring water. Weather may vary from extremely cold to extremely hot be sure to dress appropriately.

Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you.  Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure and Affiliate Disclosure

Hydration Pack with 1.5 L Backpack Water Bladder. Fits Men and Women with Chest Sizes 27" – 50". Great for Hiking – Running – Biking – Kids

4. Wear good hiking shoes. It’s important.

For Men
Columbia Men’s North Plains Ii Hiking Shoe, Wet Sand, Squash, 12 D US

For Women
Merrell Women’s Siren Sport 2 Hiking Shoe,Black/Pink,8 M US

5. Print out a map of the area or get it from the Visitor Center. Make sure your phone is fully charged but don’t completely rely on it. Bring a compass if you have one.

Sportneer Military Lensatic Sighting Compass with Carrying Bag, Waterproof and Shakeproof, Army Green

6. Bring a swiss knife. You never know when you might need it.

Victorinox Swiss Army Huntsman Pocket Knife, Black,91mm

Please check out my website for other Hiking Gears or Survival Tools.

Survival tools

Hiking Gears

You may follow me on Instagram/Pinterest/LindkedIn which is found at the bottom of my website.

Thanks for reading and feel free to comment below.

-Bel

1. Veorren says:

Very detailed and informative

2. scarlettcat says:

Hey there! I love your blog so I nominated you for a Liebster Award! Congratulations! Here’s the post-https://scarlettsbpdcorner.wordpress.com/2018/01/21/another-liebster-award/ โค

Thank you for the nomination ๐Ÿ˜Šโค๏ธ I am honored.

1. scarlettcat says:

You’re welcome!

2. scarlettcat says:

I want to see when you post your answers. Please, send me the link then. Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

3. deontetowner says:

I am def going to follow your account! I love your adventures. I hope you enjoy my blogs as well.

Thank you! I am definitely looking forward to reading more of your blog as well ๐Ÿ˜Š

4. Looks like a great hike! We’re from California but have never done that one. We might need to next time we’re out there. Love your pix!

Thank you! Yes, there are so many places to explore in California and it was definitely a great hike with stunning views. You definitely should check it out ๐Ÿ˜Š

It truly is…thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š

1. jm4805 says:

Another trail to add to the bucket list

So many trails…so little time!

5. dancjulian says:

I don’t think you’re being naive to say that the awe inspired by natural beauty is good for the soul.
    In fact, I believe it is. Wholeheartedly! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lol! Thanks! I feel that nature truly heals the soul ๐Ÿ˜Š

Thanks for the reblog ๐Ÿ˜Š

6. amateurphotographers101 says:

Mind blowing images

Thank you! ๐Ÿ˜Š

1. amateurphotographers101 says:

Welcome

7. The landscape is breathtaking but vast and empty; when you go hiking alone, do you ever encounter fellow hikers? In the UK you are very rarely alone on a popular trail.

I did encounter a couple of fellow hikers for this hike. Since you can camp here free for 2 weeks youโ€™ll also see a lot of campers in the area. I do have to admit there are trails that I do find myself completely alone in – Iโ€™d encounter one or two people in 3-4 hours of hiking.

8. trekking cottage apartment says:

Lovely posts it’s my world.

Itโ€™s a beautiful world we live in ๐Ÿ˜Š

1. trekking cottage apartment says:

For sure my life is exploring.

9. Beautiful pictures and great writingโ€”very descriptive.

Thank you! Iโ€™m glad you liked the photographs ๐Ÿ˜Š

10. Brad Nixon says:

Thanks for a closer look at a place not so far away I’d like to see more of.

You really should and itโ€™s absolutely stunning out there. ๐Ÿ˜Š

11. Tina Wu says:

Great pics girl!

Hi Tina!! Thanks for dropping by…letโ€™s catch up soon ๐Ÿ˜Š

Thanks for the reblog ๐Ÿ˜Š

12. Mobius arch looks pretty epic!

It is pretty nice! I really enjoyed Alabama Hills ๐Ÿ˜Š

1. They looked gorgeous! I really hope my leg gets rehabilitated this year so I can start hiking again. I haven’t been on a hike since 2016 ๐Ÿ˜ฆ have been pretty consistent with the gym this year so far, so really hoping my bad leg starts getting stronger. Still is like half the size of my good leg, but feels somewhat stronger than it was.

Oh no! I hope your leg gets better and going to the gym helps a lot. It strengthens the muscles!

3. Thanks, me too, and yeah for sure!

13. I’ve always wanted to check out Alabama Hills ~ thanks for sharing your adventure and for stopping by my blog!

Youโ€™re welcome and you totally should check it out! Itโ€™s super cool ๐Ÿ˜Š

14. mightymasai says:

Stunning pictures!

Thank you! ๐Ÿ˜Š

15. Jessica says:

Any idea why they’re called “Alabama Hills” when they’re in California?

From wikipedia โ€œThe Alabama Hills were named for CSS Alabama. When news of the Confederate warship’s exploits reached prospectors in California sympathetic to the American Civil War Confederates, they named many mining claims after the ship, and the name came to be applied to the entire range.[3] When the Alabama was finally sunk off the coast of Normandy by the USS Kearsarge in 1864, prospectors sympathetic to the North named a mining district, a mountain pass, a mountain peak, and a town after the Kearsarge.[3]โ€

1. Jessica says:

Nice. Thanks!

Youโ€™re welcome ๐Ÿ˜Š

16. unholypursuit says:

Thank you for sharing this. I

Thanks for taking the time to read it ๐Ÿ˜Š

17. Roda says:

Beautiful shots!

Thank you Roda! ๐Ÿ˜Š

18. Nadya B says:

Love your blog name and tag line! The Alabama Hills are on my list to do when I do Death Valley. I’ll definitely refer to this post!

Hi Nadya! Check out one of the comments from Aloha apparently Mt. Whitney which is close to Alabama Hills is the highest point in Continental US so if you reach just the arch and then head to Death Valley the 80 mile drive will leas you to the highest and lowest point in the Continental US (I think)…so I may go back just to do that! Sounds like fun right??

19. Connie says:

I always find your posts refreshing to read, this one is no different. Well done, I look forward to more of your articles in 2018.

Thank you, Connie! I really appreciate it. Iโ€™m so happy that you find my articles so refreshing and I look forward to writing more in 2018! ๐Ÿ˜Š

20. Yes, always bring your pocket knife, just in case you have to amputate your hand…(You know, the movie with DeFranco in it…) I was surprised to find that the Alabama Hills were not in Alabama!

Well, hopefully it doesnโ€™t come to that – more of itโ€™s handy for opening a packet of food/peeling fruits or working with cords…๐Ÿ˜Š Thanks for your comment Rebecca!

21. Looks like a great place to explore

Yeah, thereโ€™s so much to see! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Thank you Luisa!

22. Enni says:

Bel Roads are always awesome… thanks for the best tips ๐Ÿ™‚ (y)

Awww thanks! Appreciate it ๐Ÿ˜Š Glad you liked it!

1. Enni says:

I can’t stop scrolling down ur page :)… wanna read all of them right now but I’m in the offc ๐Ÿ˜ฆ but will read the ASAP… please do read my 2 Travel blog on my site. I just tried to write , Please give ur review ๐Ÿ™‚
        https://exploredunexplore.wordpress.com/2018/01/02/nomad/ and https://exploredunexplore.wordpress.com/2017/12/31/nomads-girls-gang/

I will definitely read yours for sure! ๐Ÿ˜Š

3. Enni says:

23. I can’t keep up with you! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜„

Beautiful photos, as always. You’re making me miss Cali again… a little. ๐Ÿ˜

Let me know when you’re ready to take on the treacherous, but awe-inspiring orange groves of Riverside County – I might even keep up! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’œ

Lol! Youโ€™re keeping up just fine ๐Ÿ˜Š Cali is calling – letโ€™s hit that famous orange grove ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‚

1. ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„

Thank you! Iโ€™m glad you liked it!

24. Leeanne says:

Of, wow, I love the arches! This looks like a beautiful trip.

It was a really nice trip. I enjoyed it immensely. The arch was lovely and easy to get to (if I didnโ€™t get lost along the way…๐Ÿ˜Š) Thanks for your comment Leeanne!

25. When I lived in California, my ex and I would ever year venture up to Lone Pine so that she might enjoy a bit of a white Christmas. We would explore the Alabama Hills and then to the next town to see the glaciers and the bristlecone pines. I want to say this was Big Pine maybe. Our hotel that we would stay at was just below that part of the Sierra Nevadas that holds Mount Whitney and more or less across from the Alabama Hills. Mount Whitney is the highest point in the continental United States. It was from this mountain that we got my youngest daughter’s name, Sierra Whitney. The next time you’re up that way, Bel, you might want to take that 80 mile drive from roughly the Arch to the middle of Death Valley. In 80 miles you can see the lowest and the highest points in continental US. Thank you for the wonderful memories from reading your post tonight!!

Wow! Itโ€™s cool that your youngest daughter was named after Mt. Whitney. Lone Pine is not that far and I love the drive – I will definitely drive the 80 miles you suggested next time. Thatโ€™s pretty awesome….thank you for sharing the beautiful memories you had and Iโ€™m glad this post help bring it back!

Thanks for the reblog!

26. rashellbud says:

I have never been to this part of our beautiful country. Thank you for sharing with such wonderful photos.

So many lovely places to visit! You should definitely see it in the future…Iโ€™m sure youโ€™d love it just as much as I did! ๐Ÿ˜Š

27. Camie says:

Looks like a beautiful place!

Hi Camie! It truly was an amazing place! ๐Ÿ˜Š

28. So beautiful, Bel. I really do love the arid countryside as much as I love the thick forests and sea. Funny to think of the movies shot there – Gladiator?? Ha ha. Thanks for the photos. It looks like a great place to explore. ๐Ÿ™‚

It was really fun. I knew it would be nice but there was a wildness to it that hooked me…as always. I love the thick forest and waterfalls as well! The ocean/sea will always be my first love ๐Ÿ˜Š I bet when you visit Alabama Hills youโ€™d write a novel about it right away…๐Ÿ˜Š

1. It looks a lot like areas of Utah and Colorado. Great landscapes for stories. And I like the (almost) unlimited camping! That’s rare these days. ๐Ÿ™‚

I was thinking the same thing about the similarities between Utah (havenโ€™t been to Colorado yet but itโ€™s next on my list ๐Ÿ˜Š)….Unlimitied is nice but itโ€™s
        primitive – the real deal! No facilities at all ๐Ÿ˜Š