Love at First Hike – Historic Railroad Trail

“Traveling is like flirting with life, it’s like saying, ‘I would stay and love you, but I have to go; This is my station.”  – Lisa St. Aubin de Teran

Consider this post my Valentine’s edition. While most people (who are married or in relationships) are planning romantic dates this time of the year, I’m busy finding new places and hiking paths to explore. Yes, this is my life. I fall in love with sunrises, sunsets, cloud formations, amazing views, rocks, arches – I think you get the picture right? As I got older, I found I liked my company more and others a lot less. This is probably why this trip was so memorable. It was my first solo trip in a long time.

In Boulder, NV there’s the famous Historic Railroad Tunnel that I have been wanting to visit for a while now. This hike has panoramic views of Lake Mead and consists of five large tunnels. This trail was designated as a national recreation trail on June 4, 2015.  I absolutely loved this hike because it was extremely easy and scenic the entire way.  Once again, I’ll let the pictures do the talking.

Start of the hike – before the Tunnels
Entrance to one of the Tunnels
Hiking Path
Amazing View of Lake Mead
Another view of Lake Mead
Inside the Tunnel

I hope you enjoyed the pictures and you would add this to the list of places to visit.

Tips for this trip:
1. There’s a huge warning sign at the start of this hike. So try to avoid the hikes during the months indicated in the photograph because it gets extremely hot.

2. I consider this hike a beginner’s hike. The trail is wide and completely flat with minor elevation. Also, it’s not as isolated as the picture shows. There were a lot of people cycling, hiking, and taking pictures. From the trailhead the distance to the fifth tunnel is around 2.2 miles roundtrip will be around 4.4 miles.

3. Bring the essentials while hiking – water, first aid, clothing, food/snacks, compass, swiss knife. Please visit my website for complete hiking gears:
Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure and Affiliate Disclosure

or visit Amazon link below
Hiking Essentials

4. Parking is before the Lake Mead entrance and is completely free. There are no entrance fees to this hike. (Yay!)

5. Bring a camera. Some of you have asked me about what kind of camera I use. To be honest, when it comes to my hikes I just bring my cell phone and a point and shoot camera. Nothing fancy but it gets the job done. Here are a couple of my recommendations from Amazon:

Canon PowerShot SX620 Digital Camera w/25x Optical Zoom – Wi-Fi & NFC Enabled (Black)

Sony DSCW830 20.1 MP Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD (Silver)

You may follow me on Instagram/Pinterest/LindkedIn which is found at the bottom of my website.

Thanks for reading and feel free to comment below. I would love to hear from you.

-Bel

P.S. Hope you all have a great Valentine’s!

1. Beautiful. There is a very short walk in south Wales through tunnels at a place called Saundersfoot…beautiful, by the sea….

That sounds lovely! I will add that to my list. Thank you 😊

2. bposnerimages says:

I had no idea these were here. Will have to visit next time in the area. Interesting article

It’s a pretty hike. I’m sure you’ll love it 😊

Thanks! 🙂

3. Laleh Chini says:

great adventure, beautiful.

Thank you! 🙂

Thanks for the reblog 😊

4. thelizlea says:

Reblogged this on The Liz Lea and commented:
    The pics are amazing!

Thank you! I’m glad you liked it. The place itself is amazing 😊

5. Great shot of the tunnels (just before the warning sign). I used to do more of this kind of thing when I was younger, and still do when an opportunity presents itself. And I’ve always loved roadtrips!

Thanks! Yeah, it’s always fun to explore and discover new things along the way. Roadtrips are the best 😊

6. mycountryepoque says:

Hi Bel, I love the views in your pictures, they are absolutely beautiful, and they are views to kill for. Thank you for sharing your travel and photos to us and the world. Continue to do so!

I loved this hike. I did this alone and there were only a few people along the trail and there were benches along the way – so you could just sit and admire the view. It was absolutely amazing. Thanks for your comments. Truly appreciated. 😊

7. Great pictures. Takes me back to the days we travelled Arizona, California & Nevada.

Thank you! It really was a lovely place 😊

8. notdonner says:

What a beautiful view. Looks perfect for a Spring weekend up from San Diego. Once I heal up of course. We’ll see.

I’m sure you’d love it. I found it perfectly serene and just my kind of scene 😊

9. lynnetteok says:

What beautiful pictures! Due to chronic illness, I’m not able to do much traveling anymore. So I’m following your blog so I can travel vicariously. Thanks 😊

Thank you for your comment. It means a lot that you follow my blog. Truly appreciated and I hope that you will be able to travel again soon!

10. idjourneys says:

First time on your blog and I enjoy it a lot! I am at the same period of life: I need solo travels once in a while. It gives me time for my thoughts, my feelings, my life. Good luck and many beautiful hikes!

Thank you. I love travelling solo..I get to do whatever I want 😊 There’s just a certain kind of freedom that comes with it. 😊

11. I really do think spirits of the past accompany us on historic trail hikes. Even speak to us if we learn how to listen. I felt it deeply when I visited the Gettysburg battlefield.

I agree sometimes I feel like there’s someone walking beside me when I hike alone in places like this…

12. edgarone2 says:

Interesting hike. Thank you for the advice.

You’re welcome 😊

Thank you Cammie! I just visited your blog and commented. Appreciate the nomination 😊

13. Nisha Sharma says:

In love with your posts 🙂
    Quite impressive ..
    Good luck !

Hi Nisha! Thank you 😊 Glad you liked it!

14. aruna3 says:

Most beautiful pics n adventruos trip by you as solo traveller.dear!!where are these place situated and lake mead?

Thank you! It’s in Boulder Nevada. Right before the main entrance to Lake Mead you’ll see a small parking lot then there’s a path you take that leads you all the way to the tunnel hike. 😊

1. aruna3 says:

Oh my God!! Nevada -i have seen dt place in movie.wonderful place.i will send you d song picturized at Nevada.plz see that video.

For sure 😊

15. regular voltaire says:

You make life looks like really really worth living. And yey to travelling solo and finding a little self peace! 🙂

Life is tough. I have to find a way to not let the daily grind get to me by adding a little color to it. Thanks so much and Yay to solo travelling 😊

16. Les says:

Like you, I enjoy “snooping around” Historic places. There is a old railroad bed not far from me that is just about the same thing. It’s now used as a walking, bicycle trail. Named the Bartrun Trail, it is 7 miles one way. Good Post. I am following.

Isn’t it fun to explore? And the great thing about it is – what we discover and learn along the way. Experience is really an amazing teacher. Thank you so much for your comment 😊

1. Les says:

Your very Welcome, Bel.

17. Surya Pratap says:

Spring it would be!

18. Surya Pratap says:

I’m sure they are. I’ll be planning the next vacation there.

You’ll love it! Just avoid the summer months because it’s not advisable to go at that time…😊 Fall or Spring is better….

19. Surya Pratap says:

Yours is one of the best travel blogs I’ve seen. The pictures are quite beautiful too. Amazing!

Hi! Thank you so much for your kind words! I’m so happy that you liked the pictures. It was truly an amazing place to visit 😊

20. What an adventure!! You know, even for us celebration be it anniversary or birthdays is equivalent to exploring new places. I’m addicted to road trips and finding new experiences.
    Cheers.

Yes it is truly a great experience and quite an adventure. Road trips are the best 😊 Glad you can relate!

1. ☺️☺️☺️

21. Hi, just wanted to let you know i nominated you for the Sunshine bloggers award. You don’t have to participate if you don’t want to but here is the link if you do
    Thanks so much for visiting my site. I always love reading about your adventures, so thank you for sharing that with us all.

Thank you for the nomination. I appreciate it as well as the kind words about my blog. 😊

22. Kelly MacKay says:

great post glad I found your blog. following

Thank you. Looking forward to reading more of your blog as well.😊

23. Interesting Bel, but I spent summers in Vegas then south Vegas near Henderson then Searchlight, and never saw this. Didn’t even register the location when I first read the post. Thanks for enlightening us!

Yeah it’s a pretty neat place and definitely worth a visit 😊

1. Hiker named sorryless, know him?

Sorry, no…?

3. Just was thinking you should WP meet as you both blog on hiking.

There are so many hiking blogs out there it’s so hard to keep up! 😊

5. Here’s the site in case you’re interested. I gave him yours, too. Just a thought. https://sorryless.com/

Okay thanks. I’ll check it out.

24. Side Hustle Wino says:

Love this. Traveling is like flirting with life…. 💖

25. Ink 'em Down says:

Wonderful post.
    Being fond of travelling myself, I love your opening quote!

Thank you! I appreciate it. 😊

26. What a great quote! Looks like quite the hike too!

It was a very easy hike with amazing views! I loved it 😊

27. Veorren says:

Wow… Hope to do this someday

I’m sure you’d love it! The view is amazing 😊

28. I always love to see the blue sky. Thank you for posting such nice pictures, Bel.

You’re welcome. Glad you liked it 😊

29. Those photos of the land I’d never see mesmerised my thought. I love to see your travelling places.

It’s really lovely. Thank you! 😊

1. You are blessed to have seen so many places. Very good blog! It’s been almost a year since i follow you.

I appreciate it. Yes, I feel blessed to have seen these places and am thankful for people like you who take time to read and follow my blog. 😊

3. Oh, the pleasure is mine. Stay blessed!

30. This is a great post. I love old train tunnels and the amazing hiking trails that connect with them. I’ve had some amazing bike rides down old railway beds as well. My favorites are the Hiawatha Trail in Idaho/Montana for the height of the trestles and variety of tunnels, and the Snoqualmie Tunnel & Iron Horse Trail for the uniqueness of the experience. The Snoqualmie Tunnel is long dark and cold all year, so you need to be prepared, but it’s really cool. I liked it better on a bike, but hiking through it was surreal and I’ll never forget it.

Wow those hiking trails sounds pretty cool! And yeah I would rather bring my bike and ride through it especially if it’s long and dark. Thanks for sharing! 😊

31. Jake says:

Loved every inch of this. I’m an avid hiker, and I need to get out to this trail.

Hi, Jake! You really should…the view is amazing and I just love the tunnels! 😊

Keep me posted once you do it!

2. Jake says:

10-4. I’m based in the southeast, so I’m pretty much limited to Appalachia, but I’m planning a West trip for this summer. I think this just made the list.

I’ve never hiked the Appalachian and would like to someday – so that one is on my list 😊

4. Jake says:

AT’s fun. I’ve hiked it through Tennessee. The periodic lean-tos are pretty nice. Fun way to meet cool people, and you don’t have to pitch bear lines and risk hurting trees.

Sounds awesome! You really get to meet interesting people outdoors…😊

6. Jake says:

Ha! Definitely. I could write about trail friends for ages. Might be enough to fill a blog, who knows.

You should! I’d love to read about it.

32. Gary Page says:

I really like the area around Lake Mead. I’m from Phoenix and visit my sister in Kingman. Great pictures. By for now.

Thanks! It’s really pretty!

33. trekking cottage apartment says:

I trek alone with my dog so I’m with you on all counts. It’s nice alone because if you find something nice and want to spend some time to photograph etc it’s no problem. Others don’t. It’s always “come on we need to reach point B” I don’t care for point B personally.

Yeah and I’m not a fast hiker – I take my time and admire the view along the way. Some are always in a hurry that they forget to enjoy the actual journey. 😊

34. Now I find myself wanting to plan this hike which seems to be my speed. I love the West with so much to see of nature. Hot and dry temperatures appeal as well. Thanks for a lovely visit today.

Hi Mary! Yes, I like to hike but not really into extremely difficult hikes on most days. This one was so relaxing with the views visible right away…no need to climb the top to see it like a lot of normal hikes 😂 I’m pretty sure you’d love it!

1. I agree I would love it. My daughter and I spent two glorious weeks in Sedona, Arizona last summer and enjoyed the many vistas. Red rocks, warm temperatures and so much to gaze at for future poetry from me.

I adore Sedona – in fact, I like it more than Grand Canyon. It has that kind of charm that draws me in…you’re right about the poetry. You’d probably be writing lovely poems while you’re there…

3. We’re on the same page with Sedona. I wrote when I returned home but made mental poetry which, when I view nature, seem to frequently do.

Yeah sometimes I can’t put the words in my mind on paper…Glad you feel the same about Sedona 😊

5. After the images are in my brain, I mull it over and then words flow. Sedona is simply stated: awesome.

Agreed 😊

7. Enjoy the remainder of the weekend and week ahead!

Thanks! You too 😊

35. itsmylife126 says:

Excellent information and photos

Thank you! 😊 Glad you liked it.

36. New follower here! This is a great post and nice pictures! I look forward to your next post!

Wow thanks! I’m glad you liked the pictures. 😊

37. That looks like a wonderful hike, Bel. I love the views and the terrain and the huge lake. And the tunnels look so clean. I hiked through an old train tunnel in the Cascades and it was pitch black in the middle. We just had to aim for the pinprick of light at the end. We couldn’t see the walls at all kept bumping into them. When I came out the other side I was painted head to toe in soot. Ha ha ha. But I never forgot the experience. 😀

You have such fun adventures – you should start a separate travel blog and I’d be your number 1 fan. They said that bats sleep in the tunnels certain times of the year and that they should be left in peace. Too bad there wasn’t any when I was hiking through it. I could just imagine you and your husband covered in soot after a hike in the Cascades – that’s one funny story….where’s a flashlight when you need one right? 😂

1. I had borrowed my niece’s pink sweatshirt and totally ruined it. 😦
        And bats! The place totally squeaked, but we couldn’t see them, so it was okay. Ha ha.

Lol I’m not that brave! The Pink sweatshirt for the win 😂

38. Cecilia says:

Your photos are just stunning! So beautiful! Thank you and greetings.

Hi Cecilia! Thank you. It was a very scenic hike and I loved it 😊

39. Leeanne says:

Hi! I’ve really enjoyed your blog. I wanted to let you know that I have nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award. For more information, please go to: https://feelingsuicidalblog.wordpress.com/2018/02/07/blogger-recognition-award/

Hi Leeanne! Thanks for the nomination. Glad you liked my blog 😊

40. Laura says:

Nice place. I like the tunnel 🙂

Yeah it was pretty neat! Thanks Laura 😊

41. Anne Barnhorst says:

Thank you for sharing! This hike is on my bucket list. I used to live and Vegas and I am still kicking myself for never having done it.

Hi Anne! It’s a lovely hike and you definitely should do it once you get the chance. It’s pretty cool 😊

42. Manny H says:

Nice photos ! Looks professional 😉

43. Beautiful photos, as always!

Wide, flat trails, NO elevation – you’re speaking my language, Bel! 😉

I prefer my own company too…um…but don’t tell my husband I said that. He’s sensitive. 😂😂😂

I knew it would appeal to you!! And with the amazing Lake Mead view from start to end…they also have benches every half a mile!! It’s paradise – I tell you! Don’t worry your secret is safe with me 😜

1. My sisters and I are supposed to visit family in Vegas before spring. I’ll see if I can talk them into this. Thanks! 😉

You’re welcome 😊