Love at First Hike – Historic Railroad Trail

“Traveling is like flirting with life, it’s like saying, ‘I would stay and love you, but I have to go; This is my station.”  – Lisa St. Aubin de Teran

Consider this post my Valentine’s edition. While most people (who are married or in relationships) are planning romantic dates this time of the year, I’m busy finding new places and hiking paths to explore. Yes, this is my life. I fall in love with sunrises, sunsets, cloud formations, amazing views, rocks, arches – I think you get the picture right? As I got older, I found I liked my company more and others a lot less. This is probably why this trip was so memorable. It was my first solo trip in a long time.

In Boulder, NV there’s the famous Historic Railroad Tunnel that I have been wanting to visit for a while now. This hike has panoramic views of Lake Mead and consists of five large tunnels. This trail was designated as a national recreation trail on June 4, 2015.  I absolutely loved this hike because it was extremely easy and scenic the entire way.  Once again, I’ll let the pictures do the talking.

Start of the hike – before the Tunnels
Entrance to one of the Tunnels
Hiking Path
Amazing View of Lake Mead
Another view of Lake Mead
Inside the Tunnel

I hope you enjoyed the pictures and you would add this to the list of places to visit.

Tips for this trip:
1. There’s a huge warning sign at the start of this hike. So try to avoid the hikes during the months indicated in the photograph because it gets extremely hot.

2. I consider this hike a beginner’s hike. The trail is wide and completely flat with minor elevation. Also, it’s not as isolated as the picture shows. There were a lot of people cycling, hiking, and taking pictures. From the trailhead the distance to the fifth tunnel is around 2.2 miles roundtrip will be around 4.4 miles.

3. Bring the essentials while hiking – water, first aid, clothing, food/snacks, compass, swiss knife. Please visit my website for complete hiking gears:
Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure and Affiliate Disclosure

or visit Amazon link below
Hiking Essentials

4. Parking is before the Lake Mead entrance and is completely free. There are no entrance fees to this hike. (Yay!)

5. Bring a camera. Some of you have asked me about what kind of camera I use. To be honest, when it comes to my hikes I just bring my cell phone and a point and shoot camera. Nothing fancy but it gets the job done. Here are a couple of my recommendations from Amazon:

Canon PowerShot SX620 Digital Camera w/25x Optical Zoom – Wi-Fi & NFC Enabled (Black)

Sony DSCW830 20.1 MP Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD (Silver)

You may follow me on Instagram/Pinterest/LindkedIn which is found at the bottom of my website.

Thanks for reading and feel free to comment below. I would love to hear from you.

-Bel

P.S. Hope you all have a great Valentine’s!

1. What a great quote! Looks like quite the hike too!

It was a very easy hike with amazing views! I loved it 😊

2. Veorren says:

Wow… Hope to do this someday

I’m sure you’d love it! The view is amazing 😊

3. I always love to see the blue sky. Thank you for posting such nice pictures, Bel.

You’re welcome. Glad you liked it 😊

4. Those photos of the land I’d never see mesmerised my thought. I love to see your travelling places.

It’s really lovely. Thank you! 😊

1. You are blessed to have seen so many places. Very good blog! It’s been almost a year since i follow you.

I appreciate it. Yes, I feel blessed to have seen these places and am thankful for people like you who take time to read and follow my blog. 😊

3. Oh, the pleasure is mine. Stay blessed!

5. This is a great post. I love old train tunnels and the amazing hiking trails that connect with them. I’ve had some amazing bike rides down old railway beds as well. My favorites are the Hiawatha Trail in Idaho/Montana for the height of the trestles and variety of tunnels, and the Snoqualmie Tunnel & Iron Horse Trail for the uniqueness of the experience. The Snoqualmie Tunnel is long dark and cold all year, so you need to be prepared, but it’s really cool. I liked it better on a bike, but hiking through it was surreal and I’ll never forget it.

Wow those hiking trails sounds pretty cool! And yeah I would rather bring my bike and ride through it especially if it’s long and dark. Thanks for sharing! 😊

6. Jake says:

Loved every inch of this. I’m an avid hiker, and I need to get out to this trail.

Hi, Jake! You really should…the view is amazing and I just love the tunnels! 😊

Keep me posted once you do it!

2. Jake says:

10-4. I’m based in the southeast, so I’m pretty much limited to Appalachia, but I’m planning a West trip for this summer. I think this just made the list.

I’ve never hiked the Appalachian and would like to someday – so that one is on my list 😊

4. Jake says:

AT’s fun. I’ve hiked it through Tennessee. The periodic lean-tos are pretty nice. Fun way to meet cool people, and you don’t have to pitch bear lines and risk hurting trees.

Sounds awesome! You really get to meet interesting people outdoors…😊

6. Jake says:

Ha! Definitely. I could write about trail friends for ages. Might be enough to fill a blog, who knows.

You should! I’d love to read about it.

7. Gary Page says:

I really like the area around Lake Mead. I’m from Phoenix and visit my sister in Kingman. Great pictures. By for now.

Thanks! It’s really pretty!

8. trekking cottage apartment says:

I trek alone with my dog so I’m with you on all counts. It’s nice alone because if you find something nice and want to spend some time to photograph etc it’s no problem. Others don’t. It’s always “come on we need to reach point B” I don’t care for point B personally.

Yeah and I’m not a fast hiker – I take my time and admire the view along the way. Some are always in a hurry that they forget to enjoy the actual journey. 😊

9. Now I find myself wanting to plan this hike which seems to be my speed. I love the West with so much to see of nature. Hot and dry temperatures appeal as well. Thanks for a lovely visit today.

Hi Mary! Yes, I like to hike but not really into extremely difficult hikes on most days. This one was so relaxing with the views visible right away…no need to climb the top to see it like a lot of normal hikes 😂 I’m pretty sure you’d love it!

1. I agree I would love it. My daughter and I spent two glorious weeks in Sedona, Arizona last summer and enjoyed the many vistas. Red rocks, warm temperatures and so much to gaze at for future poetry from me.

I adore Sedona – in fact, I like it more than Grand Canyon. It has that kind of charm that draws me in…you’re right about the poetry. You’d probably be writing lovely poems while you’re there…

3. We’re on the same page with Sedona. I wrote when I returned home but made mental poetry which, when I view nature, seem to frequently do.

Yeah sometimes I can’t put the words in my mind on paper…Glad you feel the same about Sedona 😊

5. After the images are in my brain, I mull it over and then words flow. Sedona is simply stated: awesome.

Agreed 😊

7. Enjoy the remainder of the weekend and week ahead!

Thanks! You too 😊

10. itsmylife126 says:

Excellent information and photos

Thank you! 😊 Glad you liked it.

11. New follower here! This is a great post and nice pictures! I look forward to your next post!

Wow thanks! I’m glad you liked the pictures. 😊

12. That looks like a wonderful hike, Bel. I love the views and the terrain and the huge lake. And the tunnels look so clean. I hiked through an old train tunnel in the Cascades and it was pitch black in the middle. We just had to aim for the pinprick of light at the end. We couldn’t see the walls at all kept bumping into them. When I came out the other side I was painted head to toe in soot. Ha ha ha. But I never forgot the experience. 😀

You have such fun adventures – you should start a separate travel blog and I’d be your number 1 fan. They said that bats sleep in the tunnels certain times of the year and that they should be left in peace. Too bad there wasn’t any when I was hiking through it. I could just imagine you and your husband covered in soot after a hike in the Cascades – that’s one funny story….where’s a flashlight when you need one right? 😂

1. I had borrowed my niece’s pink sweatshirt and totally ruined it. 😦
        And bats! The place totally squeaked, but we couldn’t see them, so it was okay. Ha ha.

Lol I’m not that brave! The Pink sweatshirt for the win 😂

13. Cecilia says:

Your photos are just stunning! So beautiful! Thank you and greetings.

Hi Cecilia! Thank you. It was a very scenic hike and I loved it 😊

14. Leeanne says:

Hi! I’ve really enjoyed your blog. I wanted to let you know that I have nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award. For more information, please go to: https://feelingsuicidalblog.wordpress.com/2018/02/07/blogger-recognition-award/

Hi Leeanne! Thanks for the nomination. Glad you liked my blog 😊

15. Laura says:

Nice place. I like the tunnel 🙂

Yeah it was pretty neat! Thanks Laura 😊

16. Anne Barnhorst says:

Thank you for sharing! This hike is on my bucket list. I used to live and Vegas and I am still kicking myself for never having done it.

Hi Anne! It’s a lovely hike and you definitely should do it once you get the chance. It’s pretty cool 😊

17. Manny H says:

Nice photos ! Looks professional 😉

18. Beautiful photos, as always!

Wide, flat trails, NO elevation – you’re speaking my language, Bel! 😉

I prefer my own company too…um…but don’t tell my husband I said that. He’s sensitive. 😂😂😂

I knew it would appeal to you!! And with the amazing Lake Mead view from start to end…they also have benches every half a mile!! It’s paradise – I tell you! Don’t worry your secret is safe with me 😜

1. My sisters and I are supposed to visit family in Vegas before spring. I’ll see if I can talk them into this. Thanks! 😉

You’re welcome 😊