Drawn to the Magic of Smith Rock State Park – Terrebonne, OR

“I am learning everyday to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me.” – Tracee Ellis Ross

IMG_1135 (2)

Smith Rock State Park is approximately 40 minutes away from Bend, Oregon. It is also a very popular State Park drawing huge crowds throughout the year. From rock climbers, hikers, mountain bikers, and tourist who want to explore the natural beauty this place offers. It’s pretty easy to get to and if you’re traveling solo like me it’s not as isolated as other places.

As soon as I got off the car I literally felt it was all too unreal. It’s like staring into a beautiful painting. I was just standing there for at least 10 minutes without moving and simply taking it all in.

IMG_3552

This is also a place I’d highly recommend if you’re bringing the entire family. The trails are wide and well marked. You’d have to try really hard to get lost. There are many different hikes that are rated from easy to difficult. If you’re aiming for a difficult hike try the Misery Ridge Trail with switchbacks to keep your blood pumping. The easiest trail would be the Rim Rock Trail which is around .5 miles and provides amazing views along the Canyon Ridge.

Image-1.jpg

hiking trail

I really wish I could have stayed longer and explored it more but time isn’t always on my side. I also want to add that even if it was crowded, every single person I met was polite, nice, and friendly. I really enjoyed this park and who knows maybe someday I’ll get to visit it again.

Bel’s Tips for this trip

1. Day use permit is required and cost $5/vehicle. This is available at the kiosk in the parking lot area.

2. Come early if you want to avoid large crowds.

3. Bring food especially if you plan on spending the entire day there.

4. Don’t forget to bring enough water. Stay hydrated. Depending on the season it does get hot. Put sunscreen on and wear a cap.

5. Bring your hiking poles. If you want to go down all the way to the river because getting back up is a challenge. Please check out the link below.

Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please readย Amazon Affiliate Disclosureย andย Affiliate Disclosure

High Trek Premium Ultralight Trekking Poles w/Sweat Absorbing EVA Grips – Your collapsible Hiking/Walking Sticks come with Tungsten Tips and Flip Locks – Enjoy the Outdoors

5. Wear hiking shoes with good traction

For Women
Columbia Women’s Newton Ridge Plus Hiking Boot,Quarry/Cool Wave,7 M US

For Men
Columbia Men’s Newton Ridge Plus II Waterproof Hiking Boot, Cordovan/Squash, 11 D US

6. The roads are paved and accessible to any kind of vehicle. There is a gas station that is a few miles away from the state park.

Please feel free to ask questions or comment below. I would love to hear from you.

Kindly follow me on Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn which is found at the bottom of my webpage. If you’d like to check out my website for complete outdoor gears please visit https://www.nothingbutgears.com

1. sharonchyy says:

Interesting post,love it

2. Karen says:

Smith Rocks does have something for everyone. You’re right – it is hot and dry in the summer. Good advice on bringing plenty of water!

Thanks. Smith Rock is just a wonderful place to explore ๐Ÿ˜Š

3. This looks amazing! Thank you so much for the service you do through this blog. God richly bless you dear!

Thank you! ๐Ÿ˜Š

1. You are most welcome! โค๏ธ

4. Lee says:

Great place for hiking! Love how you wrote it and the photos are just perfect!

Thank you! Itโ€™s a cool place to hike. ๐Ÿ˜Š

5. Bel, Iโ€™ve enjoyed reading your thoughts on some well loved hikes. Central Oregon is such a treasure and Iโ€™m glad to hear you love it like I do. Great advice too on whatโ€™s needed. Far too many are unprepared. Well done!โ˜€๏ธ

Thank you! You are right. Oregon is such a treasure and thereโ€™s so much to explore. I really fell in love with it ๐Ÿ˜

6. TMH says:

Nice work, Bel! Lots of good advice without droning on. The simplicity and succinctness of this post makes me want to include a trip to Smith Rock when we visit friends in Bend in the near future. Thanks.

Thank you! I try to keep it short and straight to the point. Check out Benham Falls too if youโ€™re going to Bend. Itโ€™s pretty awesome ๐Ÿ˜Š

Thank you! ๐Ÿ˜Š

7. Eve Brickner says:

The last time I went to Smith Rock to boulder it was almost 90 degrees, so beautiful but sooooo hot! Looks like you had a great visit, love the photos.

I had a great visit and the weather was great. Loved it! Thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š

8. jHulsey says:

This is awesome. This place is definitely on the wishlist! Safe travels friend.

It really is a great place. Thank you! ๐Ÿ˜Š

9. vnhi says:

There are some great tips here! It’s always so daunting to think about doing a serious hike, but this is makes me feel more prepared!

Youโ€™re welcome! I also wrote about hiking for first timers if you want more information. Glad this helped! ๐Ÿ˜Š

10. I truly enjoyed discovering Smith Rock through your eyes. Thank you for sharing.

Iโ€™m really glad you liked it! Thank you so much ๐Ÿ˜Š

11. Easymalc says:

I’d never heard of Smith Rock until today. Thanks for enlightening me.

Youโ€™re welcome! Itโ€™s definitely a beautiful place ๐Ÿ˜Š

12. Was just there in April and it is as awesome as you describe.

Yes, I was pretty much amazed and it wasnโ€™t even out of the way…Iโ€™m glad you enjoyed it as well ๐Ÿ˜Š

13. nkengsido says:

Very clean shots. Makes me want to take a trip to the Smith rock state park.

Thank you! You definitely should ๐Ÿ˜Š

14. Becky says:

Beautiful pictures! Really like how you document your trips – thanks for sharing!

Thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š Glad you liked it!

15. Stunning photos! ๐Ÿ’›

16. idjourneys says:

Wild place! Useful tips! Happy traveling!

17. Hi Bel, you have a great blog here. Your photos are stunning and I really like the way you begin each post with a quote. If I ever make it to the US, I’ll know where to go. Happy travelling!

Hi Karen! Thanks so much for your comment. The kind words are truly appreciated. I hope you make it to the US and visit the places I wrote about. ๐Ÿ˜Š

18. I can view Smith Rock from my backyard and love your description of the park. Anyone planning on visiting should have good traction shoes/boots, as our yearly injury rate seems to be increasing exponentially and visitors should also be wary of rattlesnakes on these trails, like in most rocky Central Oregon areas, as weโ€™ve had some near misses recently – thank goodness it was a โ€œdry biteโ€! Parking can be a bear during peak hours but Iโ€™m glad you were met with friendly faces. It really is an amazing place. The rock colors are amazing in different lights!

Wow. Youโ€™re so lucky. Yeah, snakes are so common in places where I hike that I almost stepped on one by accident. I bet sunrise or sunset would be a great time to visit the park as well. Thanks so much for your comment. ๐Ÿ˜Š

19. SeveDB Blog says:

Nice post with lovely pictures

20. chloejessie says:

Love love love this, amazing pictures

Thank you Chloe! ๐Ÿ˜Š

21. Gorgeous! Our son is through hiking the PCT and he is sending back the most beautiful pictures. He is a few days into Oregon now.
    Thanks for sharing!

Oh thatโ€™s cool! Iโ€™ve hiked some PCT trails along California and itโ€™s truly amazing. Iโ€™m sure heโ€™s having the time of his life ๐Ÿ˜Š

22. Marianne Guarena says:

That’s amazing!! We will have to visit there. We had planned on riding up in Oregon (dirtbikes) but have not yet been. I didn’t even know there were formations like that in Oregon. Then again, I have only been to Oregon twice.

Hi, Marianne! You totally should visit Smith Rock State Park! I love the idea of riding up in Oregon on dirtbikes – that sounds like a lot of fun ๐Ÿ˜Š There is so much to explore in Oregon – Iโ€™d have to visit several times or just live there to see it all ๐Ÿ˜Š

1. Marianne Guarena says:

Thank you again for the recommendation. We honestly would have never known about it had you not written about it : ) We look forward to it!

Youโ€™re welcome. Glad I could help and please let me know what you think of it once you visit. Iโ€™d love to know…happy travels! ๐Ÿ˜Š

23. hellolauren528 says:

Great quote

Thanks ๐Ÿ˜Š

24. Wow. What a cool place. It looks more like something I’d picture in the Rockie’s. I’m going to be near Bend in about 2 weeks. Looks like a place to visit. Thanks for the great pictures and the info on the trails, Bel. Happy Travels.

Hi, Diana! Yes, you have to see this place itโ€™s really amazing. Iโ€™m also writing (hopefully in 2 weeks) about Benham falls – if you havenโ€™t, please add it to the itinerary…itโ€™s also close to Bend, Oregon.

1. We are going to visit some falls around Bend, but I’m not sure this one is on the list. I’ll look it up!

Iโ€™m so excited for you even if I know you lived there for a while. I really fell in love with Oregon – I would totally move there…๐Ÿ˜Š

3. I haven’t explored the state at all, can plan to start ๐Ÿ˜€ There’s so much to see!

Yay! Iโ€™m sure youโ€™d love it as much as I did – I need more time and a whole lot of money to explore it all ๐Ÿ˜‚

25. Dwight says:

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing๐Ÿ˜Š

Thanks for taking time to read! Truly appreciated ๐Ÿ˜Š

26. Beautiful place! You are right, it does look like a painting!!

Yeah I was expecting it to be taken away from me ๐Ÿ˜‚ Itโ€™s really stunning!

1. ๐Ÿ™‚ yes it is!

27. Fred says:

Wow! I went up there for the solar eclipse. That park was closed and there was thick smoke from forest fires in the area. Lot of other areas were closed too. I’m jealous you were able to see it.

Oh no! Sorry to hear that Fred. You should definitely come back because it really is worth it…

28. olehippies says:

I love the photos. I will have to visit there when we are in the area. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you! You definitely should include it in your itinerary. ๐Ÿ˜‚

29. It is such an awesome park to visit, and the views on a clear day are awesome!

I was totally blown away…๐Ÿ˜Š

30. Amazing pictures (and great info)! I may just need to head West now

Thank you! You really have to head west – so much to explore! You would love it ๐Ÿ˜Š

31. backuphill says:

You got some nice shots! I have been there a couple times and it is a great place. It is always nice to see how others enjoy the area.

Thank you! It is so pretty out there and it seems like a world away from reality. ๐Ÿ˜Š