Drift Creek Falls

“To the girl who reads by the flashlight. Who sees dragons in the clouds. Who feels most alive in worlds that never were. Who knows magic is real. Who dreams. This is for you.” -Author Unknown

standing at the start of the bridge

If you’ve never hiked before this might change your mind. Who wouldn’t want to see a hanging bridge and a waterfall all in one hike? It’s only 3 miles round trip and the trail is well maintained making it accessible to people of all ages. You don’t have to be an experienced hiker at all.

Trust me.

I took my family who has no hiking experience whatsoever. They fell in love with the charming forest landscape along the way.

start of trail
Start of trail

trail to drift creek falls

It’s really quite peaceful considering it’s a popular place to visit especially during weekends. You can take your time enjoying the scenery. There were lots of people on the trail but it didn’t feel crowded at all.

Start of the hanging bridge
Entrance to the hanging bridge

Once you see the entrance to the hanging bridge, it really is fun to cross. My 6 yr old nephew loved it. He thought he’d be scared but found the experience exhilarating and exciting.

empty bridge
Hanging Bridge
view of hanging bridge
View of the hanging bridge from the side

As soon as you walk on the bridge you’ll see the waterfalls on the side.

waterfalls from bridge

Staring at waterfall
After crossing the bridge you can get a closer view of the waterfalls.

Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced hiker, you’ll definitely love this hike.

Tips for this hike:

1. If you read reviews about this hike, you’ll notice some people will comment about the road leading to the trail. It is not gravel. There is a paved road if you’re coming from Lincoln. It is narrow and winding but definitely easier access compared to other trails in Oregon. Just be aware that it’s mostly one lane and you just have to move your car to the side for incoming traffic.

2. You may purchase a day pass for $5 online or on site. Please bring exact change.

3. Get there early. The parking lot fills up easily even on a weekday.

4. Bring food and water.

5. There is an outhouse in the parking lot area. Use it before you start the hike.

6. For a complete list of hiking gears. Please check out the links below.
Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure and Disclosures

Amazon List of Hiking Gears

Hiking Gears

I wrote about hiking essentials on my website. Please check it out for a more detailed list.

Hiking essentials for a hiker newbie

I hope you enjoyed this post. Please feel free to comment. I’d love to hear from you.

Add me on Instagram @roadsbeltravelled or on Twitter @belcharm

1. I love how you begin your posts with a quote.

Yes, I love quotes and I figured I could use famous quotes to set the tone of my blogs. Thank you 😊

2. Beautiful! How interesting that I was about to say, “This reminds me of a hike we have in Georgia called, “Tallulah Gorge,” and I look up at @Pit’s post to see he wrote the same thing! 😊 If I’m ever in Oregon, I’m definitely doing this hike! Thanks!

Now I really have to see Tallulah Gorge. It seems to be really popular. 😊 I’m sure you’ll love this hike 😊

1. If you come to Georgia, let me know, and I can give you a list of beautiful waterfalls and hikes and even a great local dive around the location! My husband and I love to take a beautiful hike, got to cute little Georgia towns, and eat at yummy places!! 😉

Thank you. I will definitely let you know if I get the chance to go. Georgia seems to be the kind of place that would hook me the way Oregon did. And who can say no to yummy places 😂

3. It’s has been for me! 😉

3. Great post, wonderful pics, would love to be on that bridge and see the view firsthand! I used to do a lot of hiking when my health was better, now I enjoy other peoples hikes.

You’re welcome! Yes, the hanging bridge was the reason I did this hike. It was pretty awesome! Thanks! 😊

4. Gteat site Bel, liked the pictures a lot.

5. What a great view from the bridge!

Yes it truly is! Thank you 😊

6. Quel endroit splendide !

I love that quote too 😊😍

7. Beautiful images and a great post. There is a tree top walk here is Western Australia that takes you through the ancient giant trees of over 400 years old, between Denmark and Walpole 🧡

Thank you. The hike you mentioned in Western Australia seems magical as well 😊

8. Gorgeous pics! Makes me want to get out there and do it 🙂

I’m sure you’ll love it. It’s so pretty 😊

2. It truly is. I did it with my husband and youngest daughter when we immigrated to Perth in 2005 💚

9. K E Garland says:

That hanging bridge looks a bit scary.

It is at first but once you’re on it – you won’t be. 😊

10. Exceptional pictures! Thank you so much for continuing to share these wonderful locations!

You’re welcome. I’m glad you liked it 😊

11. Fred says:

Follow Hwy 126 along the McKenzie River and you will find some magical hiking areas.

Thanks for the tip 😊

12. Forest bathing is excellent for the spirit. I love your photos and felt I was hiking along with you. Thank you for the lovely post.

Thank you Dr. Mary Ann. It was really good for the soul. 😊

1. My pleasure. May you have a joy-filled heart!

Have a great week 😊

13. Sunshinysa says:

Here there is a meter wide but very long bridge… I was terrified to cross it until my husband took my hand… And I “Jesused” my way across it. Divine help.💞😉

It is quite scary at first but when you take a couple of steps you’ll get the hang of it for sure 😊 Of course, divine intervention always helps 😊

14. Sunshinysa says:

Sounds like an idyllic escape. Much like our Umhlanga trail minus the waterfall.💞

The Umhlanga Trail is probably just as beautiful. Drift Creek is a very idyllic escape 😊 Thank you!

15. kai9 says:

Wow. When I visit my sister in the Portland area I will definitely go. She will love it too I bet. Thanks

It’s a great place. It’s a couple of hours away from Portland but definitely worth the drive 😊

16. I absolutely love finding little out of the way places

It always is an adventure 😊

17. What an amazing hike – wish I was there 🙂

Yes it was a great hike. You should totally visit it! 😊

18. I had to map this as soon as I finished reading, Bel. For me, this is a day trip, and I’m excited to give it a go. I think Tornado Boy can manage it too, He’s five. The hanging bridge looks like a blast, and I love waterfalls in general. Thanks so much for the introduction to this beautiful place and for the gorgeous pictures. 🙂

Yes, Tornado boy will love it. I saw a lot of families with little kids doing this hike. At one point the hanging bridge was swaying because they were all jumping on it. You will probably get a lot of inspiration for your writing on this hike (not that you need any since you’re an amazing writer)…Can’t wait to read about it once you’ve hiked this ❤️😊

1. I just showed this post to my husband. He wants to go too.

Who wouldn’t? 😊 It’s amazing!

19. Bel, I just discovered your blog, and I really like what I’ve read so far. Hiking and solitude are two of my great loves, and the places you’re exploring seem to supply both of those. Glad I found this one, thanks for sharing!

Hello! Thank you so much for your comment. It’s great to find people who understand my passion for finding places like this – so much to explore so little time 😊

20. bposnerimages says:

I go there all the time, what a great place. In fact, one of my best sellers is an image of the path the fall. This is a wonderful post, and need to schedule another run up there, but will wait until after a big rain, when the falls are really active. Enjoyed your images 🙂

Lucky you! You must love it. The entire place is amazing. Could you send me the link to the photo you are referring to? I’d love to see it.

You’re welcome 😊

21. Love hikes to waterfalls….have you ever been to Watkins Glen in NY?

Hi! No, I haven’t. Is it similar to this hike?

1. There are more Falls…I thought you’d like it after reading the intro quote…it was a magical place!!

Okay thanks for the recommendation. I will check out your blog then 😊

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check out your blog post 😊

22. Easymalc says:

It’s a long way for me to get there, but thanks for the virtual hike 🙂

I hope the pictures are enough for now. I’m sure one day you’ll get to visit it in person 😊

23. Another wonderful location and tour for us Bel. Thanks. 🙂

Yes, this was the main reason I went to Oregon – read about it and just had to see it. 😊

1. I’m way overdue for a visit!

What are you waiting for?! 😂

24. Beautiful photos and equally beautiful quote😊👌

Thank you! I appreciate it 😊

1. Most welcome dear😊

25. Pit says:

Great hike, thanks for sharing! Reminds me of our visit to Tallulah Gorge and Falls recently [https://wp.me/p4uPk8-1sU].

Thanks. I’ll check out your post as well. Love to see similar hikes like this.

1. Pit says: