“Through all the things my eyes have seen the best by far is you.” – Cecilia and the Satellite
For those who have been following my blog, it’s a known fact the ocean/sea will always be my first love. I expected to enjoy the Oregon Coast. I just didn’t think it would blow me away with it’s unique and rugged beauty.
Devil’s Churn is located in Yachats, Oregon and part of the Siuslaw National Forest. There’s a reason why they call it Devil’s Churn anyone could see the wrath of the ocean slamming against the rocks. It’s scary, dangerous and completely captivating. I didn’t want to leave…(I know… I had the same feeling with Benham falls) The trail going down is scenic and kid-friendly. However, once you reach the bottom it is very easy to slip on the rocks.
Below you’ll see the warning sign as well as the rock formations on the coastline. We definitely went during high tide to see it’s full effect. You won’t really appreciate it as much during low tide.
The next stop was Thor’s Well which was around half a mile by car. On the way down, you’ll literally see a lot of people just staring at Thor’s Well and another group staring at Sprouting Horn. I call it The Oregon Coast effect it takes you to a different place.
I feel that my pictures will never show it’s true magnificence so I hope you enjoy the video of Thor’s Well below.
Tips for this trip
1. You could spend a few minutes to hours on each location. Bring snacks and water.
2. There is a day pass required to park at Devil’s Churn found at the parking. Fee is $5/day or you could find parking on the street free of charge.
3. Bring a camera.
4. Make sure you have a full tank of gas.
5. Bring a map, GPS or save maps on your phone. Some areas do not have any cell phone signal. If you like going to remote areas I would suggest a cell phone signal booster in case of emergency. This is good for voice and text.
Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure and Affiliate Disclosure
6. Wear sturdy hiking boots and always exercise caution when exploring both Devil’s Churn and Thor’s Well. It’s very easy to slip and hurt yourself on the rocks. Please check out the link below from Amazon.
7. If you want a detailed list of road trip gears. Please check out my website https://nothingbutgears.com/road-trip-essentials
I hope you enjoyed this post. Please feel free to comment. I’d love to hear from you.
Add me on Instagram @roadsbeltravelled or on Twitter @belcharm.