Devil’s Churn and Thor’s Well – The Wonders of Oregon Coast

“Through all the things my eyes have seen the best by far is you.” – Cecilia and the Satellite

For those who have been following my blog, it’s a known fact the ocean/sea will always be my first love. I expected to enjoy the Oregon Coast. I just didn’t think it would blow me away with it’s unique and rugged beauty.

Devil’s Churn is located in Yachats, Oregon and part of the Siuslaw National Forest. There’s a reason why they call it Devil’s Churn anyone could see the wrath of the ocean slamming against the rocks. It’s scary, dangerous and completely captivating. I didn’t want to leave…(I know, I had the same feeling with Benham falls) The trail going down is scenic and kid-friendly. However, once you reach the bottom it is very easy to slip on the rocks.

Scenic trail to Devil’s Churn
View from halfway

Below you’ll see the warning sign as well as the rock formations on the coastline. We definitely went during high tide to see it’s full effect. You won’t really appreciate it as much during low tide.

The next stop was Thor’s Well which was around half a mile by car. On the way down, you’ll literally see a lot of people just staring at Thor’s Well and another group staring at Sprouting Horn. I call it The Oregon Coast effect it takes you to a different place.

I feel that my pictures will never show it’s true magnificence so I hope you enjoy the video of Thor’s Well below.

Tips for this trip

1. You could spend a few minutes to hours on each location. Bring snacks and water.
2. There is a day pass required to park at Devil’s Churn found at the parking. Fee is $5/day or you could find parking on the street free of charge.
3. Bring a camera.
4. Make sure you have a full tank of gas.
5. Bring a map, GPS or save maps on your phone. Some areas do not have any cell phone signal. If you like going to remote areas I would suggest a cell phone signal booster in case of emergency. This is good for voice and text.
Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure and Affiliate Disclosure

weBoost Drive Sleek 470135 Cell Phone Signal Booster for Your Car and Truck – Enhance Your Cell Phone Signal up to 32x

6. Wear sturdy hiking boots and always exercise caution when exploring both Devil’s Churn and Thor’s Well. It’s very easy to slip and hurt yourself on the rocks. Please check out the link below from Amazon.

Hiking Boots

7. If you want a detailed list of road trip gears. Please check out my website https://nothingbutgears.com/road-trip-essentials

I hope you enjoyed this post. Please feel free to comment. I’d love to hear from you.

Add me on Instagram @roadsbeltravelled or on Twitter @belcharm.

1. sosparkly says:

I enjoyed these images, thank you!

You’re welcome. Glad you liked it 😊

2. Thor’s Well that ends well?

3. Nilzeitung says:

😊😊😊😊(*L*)!!!!!

1. Nilzeitung says:

😊 (* L *) !!!!!😊 (°L°) !!!!!

4. myplaidheart says:

The Oregon Coast has always been on my travel bucket list. Thanks for the travel tips!

Oregon Coast is breathtaking. It is worth the trip and should definitely be included in anyone’s travel bucket list 😊

1. myplaidheart says:

I have actually never been to the American northwest. Another place my husband and I would like to experience is the Lodi Valley wine country in California.

I’ve never been to Lodi (just passed by) but didn’t stop. I’ve heard it’s pretty out there. I did go to Napa and Sonoma and the scenery was so beautiful.

3. myplaidheart says:

Lodi wines are my favorite!

I should try it then! 😊

5. Yes… it’s so beautiful there…Oregon coast is amazing…I lived thereand wow…And want to say…this post is awesome.

Thank you. Oregon coast just blew my mind away. 😊

1. I could just live right there on the beach…The essence alone is incredible…The uncut beaches…wow I lived there for 3 years.

So lucky! I bet it was hard to leave that place. Time flies when you live in that area…so mesmerizing 😊

3. Yes yes yes…sitting in walnut trees and picking chantrelles, Lobster tail mushrooms, oyster, mushrooms Etc.
        This post makes me want to just unplug everything and return…man

I know I feel the same way everytime I think of Oregon but there’s still so much to see – 😊

6. Antoinette Truglio Martin says:

Gorgeous place. Another for my bucket list.

It really is! I’m sure you’d love it.

7. lorac888890 says:

It’s wonderful to travel and your pictures are captivating. Bon Voyage.

Thank you. Glad you liked it! 😊

1. lorac888890 says:

Pictures can speak volumes. Take care.

8. cigarman501 says:

Your photographs may not show the magnificence but they are magnificent. Beautiful.

Thank you. It really blew me away when I was there. Experiencing it is something I will always carry with me.

9. roninjax says:

I really enjoy your images. Excellent information. I’m glad you didn’t get any closer to the hole. 😉

Thank you! I was at a “kind of” safe distance. 😂

1. roninjax says:

I can just imagine. It looked like you wanted to venture out more. 🤣

The temptation is definitely there 😊

10. aFrankAngle says:

Oregon coast is an awesome place. At least I’ve had a chance to see some of it, but not enough. BTW – you will love this one. https://afrankangle.wordpress.com/2018/10/16/on-walktober-2018/

Yes it really is! Truly a beautiful place 😊

11. Well enjoyed. I hope to visit here soon.🙏

12. Wow! Just wow! Fantastic pictures! I’m happy I found your blog!

Thank you so much. I’m happy you like it! 😊

13. Cool. Oregon is somewhere I haven’t been. Looks awesome! I want to make it there someday!

You definitelt should visit it when you get a chance. I’m sure you’ll love it as much as I did. 😊

14. john812ram says:

If your there again. I suggest Multnomah Falls. It’s amazing.

Yeah, I agree. Multnomah is nice. I’ve been there but it’s just too crowded for my taste. For some reason I didn’t enjoy it as much as the other places in Oregon. 😊

1. john812ram says:

Weird!? Whenever my wife and I have been there i don’t remember too bad of a crowd. Maybe we have been going on the off seasons and never realized it! Oregon is awesome. Thanks for sharing

Lol you’re lucky. I guess it’s just me – I like places where it’s away from the city and just miles and miles of forest. The coast had quite a crowd too but because it was huge I didn’t mind. My favorite was Benham – only saw 2 or 3 people when I was there. In Painted Hills – I was completely alone. Loner heaven 😂

3. john812ram says:

Loner heaven sounds glorious!!

Yup – my family/friends think I’m crazy for loving solitude. But nature is the best destresser. I wouldn’t survive this world without it. 😊

5. john812ram says:

Maybe they’re crazy!

😂😂😂

15. The Oregon and Washington Coasts are both beautiful. For a long time my fallback vacation was getting north of San Francisco and driving the coastal route, with stops along the way. So many wonders of nature to explore. Thanks for the memories!

It’s so different from the Southern California Coast that’s why it blew me away. I wasn’t used to seeing that kind of ruggedness. Loved it! So glad it brought back good memories for you. 😊

1. North of San Francisco and upward reminds me more of the Atlantic Coast. SoCal coast is a very different animal indeed, though it does have its charms in places.

It does have it’s own charm. Malibu is my favorite when I need a quick getaway. It’s like I fall in love with every single place I visit 😂

16. What an incredible place. Would make a wonderful setting for a haunting mystery/romance type novel. I am not necessarily a reader of those types, but I just can see this setting in a book and/or movie. Very unique and somewhat scary.

I can totally see that with this backdrop. I’m sure some writers have written about it after visiting this place. It really has all the elements for the haunted setting 😊

17. I visited both spots this summer, Bel. They were beautiful and dramatic, though I didn’t get as close as you did. The whole coast is pretty amazing from bottom to top. We were visiting all the lighthouses (that were open to the public) and happed upon Devil’s Churn and Thor’s Well in our travels. 😀

I’m glad you saw them too. I went as close as “safely” possible 😂 There was one lighthouse I couldn’t find because of road closure/restrictions. You’re right – the effect is pretty dramatic. 😊

18. K E Garland says:

Wow. Those videos are amazing and it seems like a really awesome thing to see in person!

Thank you! Had to show the video so that you could see the full effect. 😊

19. Very cool! The video is great!

Thank you! So glad you liked it.

20. Thor’s Well is really cool!!! Thanks for sharing with us.

It is! Glad you liked it. Thank you 😊

21. Dave Ply says:

I’ve been to Devils Churn and Thors Well and your pictures bring me back. But what’s missing are the sounds…

There were too many people talking in the background. Next time I’ll try to incorporate the sound with it. 😊

22. Great photos👌 looks fantastic😊💜

1. Most welcome Bel, you sure do visit some fascinating places💜

I try and get lucky sometimes 😊

3. At least the luck is on your side Bel😊 I love seeing your posts, looks incredible💜

You’re so sweet. I really appreciate the support it keeps me going…😊

5. Thank you😊 sometimes a little bit of support is all we need💜

23. You sure do a great job of finding beautiful places to explore Bel! I too was fascinated with the ruggedness of the Oregon coast, but haven’t been to either of these places. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Thanks! I try my best 😊 Now you just have to add it to the gazillion reasons you have to visit Oregon again 😂

24. Amazing Pictures as usual. I love the way you put us right IN the location instead of just the pictures or just the descriptions. Great blog! I look forward to all of your posts!

Thank you! I appreciate it. It’s really what I wanted out of this blog to take my readers with me and hopefully inspire them to travel or just be outdoors.

25. That looks beautiful! Can’t wait to get out to the west coast. If you’re able to come check out Acadia National Park in Maine, it has something very similar. I think I’ll always prefer these kinds of coastlines over flat sandy beaches… they just seem more rugged and captivating. 🙂

I was actually reading about Acadia National Park the other day and was hoping I’d be able to visit it soon. It’s really beautiful. I agree that I like this more than the usual sandy beaches. It’s really a lot more interesting 😊

26. I particularly like the way you start with a quote before writing about yet another exciting hike. You have probably helped many people back into the outdoors and better health.

Thank you for your kind words. I really hope I do. 😊

27. ismeet1012 says:

Whoa! This looks fantastic👌

Thank you. It really is amazing 😊

28. I’m speechless. What a stunning post! I wish I could travel to Devil’s Churn, but I have a fear of flying, so I’ll just have to enjoy your pictures and words!

Thank you. You are too kind! I’m sure there are equally beautiful places where you are that you could explore. 😊

29. Ken Dowell says:

Loved the video of Thor’s Well. Pretty amazing.

Yes, I don’t know how long I stood there just staring at it. 😊

30. Anonymous says:

We live in Oregon and, without a doubt we love to over there in our RV. The Oregon is like no other

I would do the same if I lived in Oregon – such a beautiful place 😊