“My only hope is that even for a moment I helped you see the world a little bit different.” – Wilder
After all the beautiful places I’ve explored in Oregon, I seriously didn’t think it could get any better. I was proven wrong again by Yaquina Head Natural Area. I’ve always had a thing for lighthouses. There’s something so romantic and magical about it. Perhaps in my own way, I liked how they are usually isolated from everything else standing against the ocean’s backdrop.
Cobble beach is unique. There is no sand here instead you will find small basalt rocks resulting from lava flow and erosion millions of years ago. There were lots of people throwing rocks into the ocean which was really fun to do. It’s pretty hard to walk on and you could easily injure your ankle if you’re not careful. There are a set of wooden stairs that lead to this small beach.
Quarry Cove is home to harbor seals and marine birds. You’ll see tide pools during low tide and is easily accessible via a paved pathway all the way to the tiny but breathtaking beach. I wish I lived close by because I’d love to visit this place as much as I want. It would be a perfect oasis for me.
My tips for this trip
1. Yaquina Head Natural Area has an entrance fee of around $7 per vehicle (Please check the website before going as prices may increase). This will give you access to all the three places I mentioned above.
2. Bring water and food. You may end up staying longer than you planned. There are lots of parking and picnic areas near the lighthouse.
3. Please be careful when walking around Cobble beach. It’s easy to slip or twist your ankles over the smooth rock constantly being pounded on by the waves.
4. Make sure to visit the area during low tide for maximum viewing and exploration.
5. There are restrooms located in the parking lot of the lighthouse.
6. Bring your camera. If you don’t have one yet. Please check out the links below from Amazon.
Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure and Affiliate Disclosure.
7. If you want a detailed list of road trip gears. Please check out my website
I hope you enjoyed this post. Please feel free to comment. I’d love to hear from you.
Add me on Instagram @roadsbeltravelled or on Twitter @belcharm.