Yaquina Head Natural Area – Cobble Beach, Quarry Cove, and Yaquina Head Lighthouse

“My only hope is that even for a moment I helped you see the world a little bit different.” – Wilder

After all the beautiful places I’ve explored in Oregon, I seriously didn’t think it could get any better. I was proven wrong again by Yaquina Head Natural Area. I’ve always had a thing for lighthouses. There’s something so romantic and magical about it. Perhaps in my own way, I liked how they are usually isolated from everything else standing against the ocean’s backdrop.

Cobble beach is unique. There is no sand here instead you will find small basalt rocks resulting from lava flow and erosion millions of years ago. There were lots of people throwing rocks into the ocean which was really fun to do. It’s pretty hard to walk on and you could easily injure your ankle if you’re not careful. There are a set of wooden stairs that lead to this small beach.

Quarry Cove is home to harbor seals and marine birds. You’ll see tide pools during low tide and is easily accessible via a paved pathway all the way to the tiny but breathtaking beach. I wish I lived close by because I’d love to visit this place as much as I want. It would be a perfect oasis for me.

My tips for this trip

1. Yaquina Head Natural Area has an entrance fee of around $7 per vehicle (Please check the website before going as prices may increase). This will give you access to all the three places I mentioned above.

2. Bring water and food. You may end up staying longer than you planned. There are lots of parking and picnic areas near the lighthouse.

3. Please be careful when walking around Cobble beach. It’s easy to slip or twist your ankles over the smooth rock constantly being pounded on by the waves.

4. Make sure to visit the area during low tide for maximum viewing and exploration.

5. There are restrooms located in the parking lot of the lighthouse.

6. Bring your camera.  If you don’t have one yet. Please check out the links below from Amazon.
Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure and Affiliate Disclosure.

Best selling cameras

7. If you want a detailed list of road trip gears. Please check out my website
https://www.amazon.com/shop/roadsbeltravelled       #AmazonInfluencer

I hope you enjoyed this post. Please feel free to comment. I’d love to hear from you.

Add me on Instagram @roadsbeltravelled or on Twitter @belcharm.

1. Absolutely stunning! Oregon is one of the states I want to visit! Lighthouses are one thing I like to blog about!

Yes I love lighthouses too! Oregon is definitely worth the trip. You’ll love it for sure 😊

1. It’s definitely on my list!

2. We visited several Oregon coast lighthouses on a wonderful road trip last October. Didn’t even think to search them out until we happened upon one. So much fun to see! And beautiful!

I’m obsessed with lighthouses. I agree with you. They are so gorgeous and fun to explore. 😊

3. Awesome!
    I live by the sea and it’s really cool!

You’re lucky to live by the sea 😊

Thanks for the reblog 😊

4. So beautiful! Amazing place on Earth!

Yes, thank you! 😊

5. cigarman501 says:

Beautiful is a wild and rough way. Thanks for sharing.

Ruggedly gorgeous 😊

6. Beautiful! Thank you for the inspiration.

Thanks! Glad you liked it 😊

7. Looks like a beautiful place 🙂

Thank you. It is really lovely 😊

8. DougInNC says:

Thank you for the very nice blog post with terrific photos. Brings back our 2017 visit from North Carolina to the Oregon coast. We didn’t make time for this lighthouse, so I’m pleased you took me there. I’m a sunset-coast guy (from growing up on the Lake Michigan shoreline) now resigned mostly to Atlantic sunrises; the former is much easier to observe daily than the latter. 🙂 We enjoyed the sunset and friendly people at the Adobe Inn in Yachats, whale-spotting in Depot Bay, and viewing the majestic dunes from the Umpqua lighthouse. It’s a section of the country well worth a visit, as you showed us.

I’m glad this brought back good memories for you and that I was able to take you to the lighthouse as well. I think sunrises are far better than sunsets – not that I don’t find sunsets beautiful as well. I feel like I haven’t scratched the surface and that I hope to come back in the near future and explore other places the locals highly recommend. It is such a magical place for sure 😊

9. candidkay says:

One of the places I’ve always wanted to visit . . . beautiful pics!

You will love it. It’s pretty amazing. Thank you 😊

10. Oregon will have another visitor someday because of you… beautiful stuff you share here.

Thank you! So glad you liked it 😊

11. Beautiful pictures and good description.

12. Antoinette Truglio Martin says:

Lovely spot. Another place to visit.

Yes it is lovely! Thank you 😊

13. It’s one of my favorite spots on our coast!

Yes, It’s just lovely out there😊

14. A really nice read. I take trips with you, if only in reading. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you. I’m glad you feel like you’re there simply by reading and seeing the pictures. 😊

15. idjourneys says:

I love this type of beach! Your photos are very well done!

Thank you. It’s my first time to see smooth rocks instead of the usual sand. 😊

16. Stunning! I feel the same way about lighthouses. Thank you for your post and pictures.

Thank you! Lighthouses are awesome 😊

17. The Wilder quote though..

18. Visited the lighthouse years ago, but don’t recall that I went down to the beach. Sounds like I missed out. If I can ever manage another roadtrip, I have something new to check out. Thanks for sharing.

Yes you definitely should check it out. I’m sure you’ll love it. It was pretty cool. 😊

19. That place is so unique and picturesque, Bel. And it’s a day trip for me… though I might wait for spring/summer. I’ve been trying to visit all the lighthouses in the state and haven’t been to this one yet. I’m looking forward to it!

There was one lighthouse I failed to find. There was some road closures when I went and super bummed about it. The name escapes me right now. You’ll love this place. Another epic setting for your future novels. 😊

1. There’s one that is privately-owned and though it’s on the lighthouse maps, it’s closed to the public. (I can’t remember the name of that one). Yes, when I go here, I’ll be open to inspiration!

Cape Meares Lighthouse. I finally looked it up – this one isn’t closed to public I just couldn’t find it! It’s so pretty in pictures.

20. I admire how much you get out and explore new places. Kudos Bel. You found another gem. 🙂

Thanks. I always say so many places so little time and (limited funds😂)

21. No wonder you fell in love with it, it looks like a special little spot. I’m not usually a beach person but it looks lovely.

Yes, it’s pretty special. You also don’t have to worry about sand when it’s all rocks 😊

22. xiongmao12 says:

Glad you were able to visit Oregon where I’ve lived most of my life. The best thing about the cobbles is listening to the sound of the waves hitting the rocks. It’s so different than any other beach I’ve ever visited.

Exactly. Everything about it is so unique and different. I really loved it.