From Panther Creek Falls, Washington (A Failed Attempt) to Multnomah Falls, Oregon

“Some of life’s wildest journeys begin with a wrong turn.” – Beau Taplin

Remember when I mentioned that once in a while my impulsive side comes out? Well, this is a perfect example. I just had to take a peek and see what Washington had to offer. I was blown away by Oregon but the restless wanderer in me was itching for another adventure. A quick search on the internet pointed me towards the famous Panther Creek Falls. So I decided to chase another waterfall. The minute I crossed the bridge from Oregon to Washington I knew I made the right decision. I have to say it was pretty difficult driving considering I was way too distracted with the view. I parked at the side of the road, stared at the scenery for a long while, and took some pictures.

Here’s a video as well. The resolution is not as good (I used my phone) but it still shows the captivating scenery. I’m still mesmerized every time I watch this video.

I continued driving until my GPS led me into this dense forest with trees almost as tall as a skyscraper.

As I drove deeper into the forest the road became smaller and I really felt like Tarzan would appear out of nowhere. It was stunning.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find the falls. I tried but with limited research and resources, I couldn’t risk getting lost in the forest and not finding my way back. Was I disappointed? Yes. But did I regret it? Hell, no! I may not have reached my destination but the journey made it worth the drive.

On my way back to Oregon I crossed the Bridge of the Gods that spans the Columbia River and has gorgeous views. The fee to cross this bridge is around $2 for 2-axle vehicles. Please watch the video below.

In Portland, I stopped by the famous Grotto before heading to Multnomah Falls. The Grotto is a lovely outdoor shrine and botanical garden. The visitor center, lower garden, and grotto are free to visit. The general admission is $7 for the upper-level admission.

Multnomah Falls is the tallest waterfall in Oregon located in the Columbia River Gorge. Easily accessible for all ages with free parking and no admission fees. However, be aware that it is extremely crowded during peak hours. I didn’t enjoy it as much as the rest of Oregon because of the huge crowd but there’s a reason why it’s so popular. The falls are really majestic.

My tips for this trip

1. Don’t be afraid to explore. Start early in the morning because it’s easier to find your way during the daylight in unfamiliar territory than it is at night.

2. Learn from my mistake. Plan ahead and make sure you have a detailed map of the place you’re planning to visit.

3. Bring food and water.

4. Make sure your car has a full tank of gas.

5. Bring a camera.

6. Please check out the link to my website below for recommended road trip gears.

I hope you enjoyed this post. Please feel free to comment. Iโ€™d love to hear from you.

Add me on Instagram @roadsbeltravelled or on Twitter @belcharm.

Thanks for the reblog ๐Ÿ˜Š

1. Spectacular pictures ! It looks so holy.๐Ÿ˜Š

2. You were in God’s country. I visited my sister who lives south of Seattle and saw gorgeous tall pines and tall mountains. Breathtaking country. Glad you got to do this! I enjoyed the post.

So true. I feel like I saw a little piece of heaven in the beautiful places I visit…โค๏ธ

1. Such an interesting. Everywhere I look, I see a little piece of heaven. When our daughter was younger, she always wanted to reach up and be able to touch a cloud. She got her wish when we were on the summit of Pikes Peak at 14,110′ where it had started to mist and clouds rolled in. Her wish came true that day. We had taken the cog rail up and down the mountain that day. Magnificent views and heaven everywhere. Cheers.

Colorado is next on my list – Pikeโ€™s Peak included. I guess thatโ€™s another piece of heaven Iโ€™ll be seeing soon ๐Ÿ˜Š Iโ€™m so happy your daughter got her wish. What an amazing experience.

3. On one trip the engineer driving the cog rail slowed down near the summit to point out some mountain goats. We were cautioned to be quiet and take photos since they were skittish. Such magnificent creatures. If you have an SUV type vehicle such as a Jeep, there is a road called the Gold Camp Road which now is simply wide enough for one vehicle with places to pull over and let others pass and follows where trains came to haul gold and silver ore. I think it begins in a Canyon called Black Canyon and meanders until you overlook Colorado Springs. It is only for the brave of heart. But it is spectacular too. Of course Rocky Mountain National Park is too. Take in Mesa Verde, a World Heritage Site as well as the Great Sand Dunes National Monument. Well, we spent many family vacations exploring Colorado, an amazingly beautiful state. Good luck.

Appreciate the detailed information. I donโ€™t think Iโ€™ve seen a mountain goat before so thatโ€™s something to look forward to….so much to explore. So little time. ๐Ÿ˜Š

5. One exploration after another. You have a lifetime of explorations ahead of you. Enjoy!

3. DougInNC says:

I agree with the road sign in your video along the Columbia – that scenery ROCKS!

Yes it does! An unforgettable drive for sure ๐Ÿ˜Š

4. Brad Nixon says:

Too long since I checked in with you, and I’m happy to find you still traveling. There was, indeed, quite a crowd when I saw Multnomah Falls, too, but it’s well worth the visit, and so close to a large metropolitan area that it attracts plenty of attention. Thanks for the look at the Grotto. The day we had it on our itinerary it was over 100, and we wore out before then.

Hi Brad! Thanks for the visit. The Grotto was lovely – maybe next time youโ€™ll get the chance to see it. I ageee that Multnomah is worth the visit despite the crowd. The falls were pretty amazing ๐Ÿ˜Š

5. teri again says:

I love Oregon, you have stirred a desire in me to go back there. Everything you posted was so beautiful.

Thank you! I feel the same about Oregon. I feel like it takes me away from reality and leads me to a magical place. ๐Ÿ˜Š

6. Beautiful Mother Nature ๐Ÿ˜Š๐ŸŒฑ๐ŸŒฑ

It truly is beautiful. Thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š

Thank you! ๐Ÿ˜Š

7. Oh, I’m so jealous. It’s been so long since I’ve been able to vacation in the Pacific Northwest. It was almost my default vacation for a lot of years because I enjoyed it so much. The Washington Coast is great, and Olympic National Park has some great trails (and rainforests). Also Silver Falls State Park in Oregon has some great trails and wonderful waterfalls.

I love the Columbia River Gorge area (OR side), though as you discovered, Multnomah is always crowded. I think the other falls, though less spectacular, are more enjoyable to visit due to fewer people.

Even Northern California has the Redwoods, though that also gets a ton of tourists so it can be more challenging to enjoy nature rather than a crowd.

Even if you didn’t find Panther Creek Falls, thanks for the pix through the forest and of Multnomah. Good memories, and pleased to see that the Mulnomah area doesn’t look too devastated from the fires there.

I heard about Silver Falls State Park but didnโ€™t have time to visit. It was recommended by the locals. Maybe next time iโ€™ll get the chance to visit. I agree that itโ€™s hard to enjoy when itโ€™s too crowded – I use nature as an escape from the noise. I still want to see the Redwoods. I heard itโ€™s magnificent as well. ๐Ÿ˜Š Iโ€™m thinking of braving Yosemite – but itโ€™s not on the top of my list.

I have yet to explore the full beauty of Columbia River Gorge – Time and Money is always an issue ๐Ÿ˜‚

Thank you so much for your comment I really appreciate the time you took to read and write about your thoughts.

1. I really like Silver Falls but it is a bit off the beaten path and takes some effort just to get to the park. But the ‘commute’ isn’t horrendous. Maybe because it is so out of the way, it wasn’t as crowded as many other spots. I was a little ambivalent about Yosemite, though it is worth seeing at least once. Now that they’ve got it so you can’t drive through (I guess you get on a bus to get into the park and return out – I haven’t been since they started that system), it might be less touristy. Cutting down on the steady flow of traffic likely helped a lot.

I think I may need a truck to get to Silver Falls but I like the off the beaten aspect of it. I also wanted to see the oldest forest in Oregon which is also difficult to get to – but the best ones usually are ๐Ÿ˜Š Yosemite will probably be too crowded but I know I have to see it at least once ๐Ÿ˜Š

3. No, you wouldn’t need a truck to get to Silver Falls. Normal roads. It’s just not near the highway through Oregon so it takes a little more effort to go looking for it. But it’s a whole park with a parking lot and everything. Just somewhat remote for the casual visitor.

Thanks! Good to know because from
        what I read they said it was
        mostly gravel roads. I didnโ€™t realize it was normal roads so now I can visit sooner. ๐Ÿ˜Š

5. I can’t remember any gravel roads, but I suppose there may be some. Hopefully we are talking about the same place. Apparently it is pretty popular at certain times of the year, but I’ve usually gone in Spring or Fall and never seen a lot of people. Silver Falls State Park is a state park in the U.S. state of Oregon, located near Silverton, about 20 miles east-southeast of Salem. It is the largest state park in Oregon with an area of more than 9,000 acres, and it includes more than 24 miles of walking trails, 14 miles of horse trails, and a 4-mile bike path. Wikipedia
        Address: 20024 Silver Falls Hwy SE, Sublimity, OR 97385

Wow! Iโ€™m already hooked with the description. Itโ€™s the kind of place I would love to visit. Hopefully soon ๐Ÿ˜Š Thank you again!

8. Dave Ply says:

Too bad you missed Panther Creek. The trailhead isn’t well marked. Should you go that way again, be on the lookout for an open unpaved parking area on the side of the road with a cliff face behind it. The trail is on the opposite side of the road, about 50 yards before the pull off. There’s also another falls in the area worth a look, Falls Creek Falls. Here’s a post that describes an excursion to those two falls, with pictures to give you an idea of what to look forward to should you return.

Thank you for the tips Dave! I saw the pictures before but yours are pretty awesome. Now it makes me want to go back again. Youโ€™re right about the trailhead not being well marked. I actually saw that unpaved parking area and drove past it. I will now add Falls Creek Falls to the list as well.

9. I will wan to do this trip. The beauty is found where it is.

Yes, you will definitely enjoy this trip. Itโ€™s a beautiful place ๐Ÿ˜Š

10. dewofmay says:

adore the last picture.. its a real good one that gives you the actual depth of the waterfall. With my little adventures in Sri Lanka and its waterfalls, one thing I’ve learnt is that if you dont plant a human somewhere in the photo the waterfall may not look as tall or huge as it actually is. I enjoyed reading this post. thank you

Thank you! Yes, waterfalls are tricky to capture on camera. It took me a while to take this photo. ๐Ÿ˜Š

11. Wow ! It’s wonderful and spectacular !

Thank you! Glad you liked it ๐Ÿ˜Š

12. Bluemoon says:

Another reminder that it’s not about the destination, but the journey! The PNW is a beautiful area ๐Ÿ™‚

Exactly. There are times when I travel or hike that I get lost along the way – but no matter what I lose myself in the moment and enjoy the experience ๐Ÿ˜Š Thank you!

1. Bluemoon says:

From my experience that’s the greatest way to experience life – in the present! Keep on exploring ๐Ÿ™‚

For sure ๐Ÿ˜Š

13. I love and miss the NW. It’s filled with lush forests, clean rivers, beautiful mountains, and oceans too! Kudos on being so adventurous Bel. I can’t see any of the videos and wondering if this is me or something in formatting.

Are you using your phone or desktop? I edited it on IMovie and it should be visible everywhere. Let me know…

1. Laptop. They’re working now. ๐Ÿ™‚

Good! I was worried. Iโ€™m sure youโ€™ve driven that road before – itโ€™s one of the most scenic roads ever…๐Ÿ˜Š

3. I don’t remember if I was on that road, but there are many beautiful views in the NW.

It was quite an adventure. Thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š

14. Exciting road trip, the Pacific Northwest is very beautiful

Truly stunning and I barely scratched the surface! ๐Ÿ˜Š

1. Looking forward to more of the adventure when you get out there nd thanks for the tips

Thank you Alice! I appreciate the kind words. I hope you have a lovely rest of the week. ๐Ÿ˜Š

15. Incredibly beautiful pictures. Your blog really makes me want to go travelling haha. Maybe one day when I have the means to.

Iโ€™m so happy that my blog makes you want to go travelling! I hope you do get to travel as much as possible. Thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š

16. Great views! Thanks for showing them.

Thank you for reading and I appreciate the comment ๐Ÿ˜Š

17. buddy71 says:

meeting tarzan? meeting bigfoot would be more realistic. lol ๐Ÿ˜‰
    um…have you heard of a map? lol ๐Ÿ˜‰ gps is ok but a map might have given you a good idea.
    thanks for taking us along.

Not really since there hasnโ€™t been any real sightings for Bigfoot (I tried to look for him, though)- and Tarzan was meant as a joke (not to be taken seriously). If you read back youโ€™ll notice I said impulsive meaning I didnโ€™t have time to get a map anywhere – I had the map from the website – but it didnโ€™t lead me anywhere – and some people who actually live there didnโ€™t know where it was either. Next time Iโ€™ll be more prepared. ๐Ÿ˜Š Thanks for the comment.

1. buddy71 says:

lol i knew it was a joke and was having fun with you. and i was teasing you through out the comment. lol hmmmm….sounds like a phantom falls. lol something like this happened to me as i went in search of a meadow a long time ago. i just could not find it and turned back for fear of getting too far away. after getting back home and looking up the area on a map, where i turned around was within spitting distance of the meadow. lol looking forward to your next trip

I really wanted to see Bigfoot that would have been cool either way. Lol, Phantom Falls or Iโ€™m just bad at reading maps (Iโ€™m too reliant on gps anyway) – and the falls is just a mile away from the trail I could not find. Washington is beautiful – canโ€™t wait to go back. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Absolutely gorgeous ๐Ÿ˜Š Thanks for reading!

18. You have been on adventures! This is my neck of the woods, Bel, literally. Aren’t the forests beautiful? I’m sorry you couldn’t find Panther Falls, but GPS is really sketchy up here, so best not to get lost. I’ve been to Multnomah Falls several times, but never to Panther Falls, and never to the Grotto(?). I gotta fix that! Thanks for the beautious photos and the ideas. ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope you have more travels in WA ahead. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah but Iโ€™m prepared the next time I go. I canโ€™t wait to go back to Washington – I could live there. Youโ€™re so lucky your neck of the woods is so peaceful and full of trees. I even saw a family of deers while I was driving! You should visit the grotto when you get the chance and maybe Panther Creek Falls too – maybe if Iโ€™m ever in the area we should
      meet at the falls ๐Ÿ˜Š

1. That would be fun. ๐Ÿ™‚

19. Abdul says:

awesome journey …

Thank you! Appreciate the comment ๐Ÿ˜Š

20. roninjax says:

Beautiful and exciting journey. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes, thank you! After writing this one I canโ€™t wait to go on another exciting journey. ๐Ÿ˜‚

21. Beautiful! Like another world! God bless!

Thank you, Ryan! It was really a lovely experience. ๐Ÿ˜Š