My Way or the Extraterrestrial Highway

“I’d rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.” -Steve McQueen

In life, I rarely get my way but driving the Extraterrestrial Highway was definitely the route I wanted to take. I’ve always been fascinated with the mystery of Area 51 ever since I watched X-Files as a kid. I was unable to actually go to Area 51 for obvious reasons but let me share the cool places I found along the mostly empty highway along Nevada’s Route 375 (which is around 2-3 hours away from Las Vegas)

First stop is the famous ET sign which was filled with stickers and magnets but still a cool place to take some photos.

The second stop is the Alien Research Center. It’s mostly a gift shop where you could buy tons of Alien souvenirs. I came to take pictures.  I loved the cool design.

The third stop is the black mailbox. Sadly, it’s gone and all that’s left is what you see in the picture below.

The final stop was perfect because I was starving by then. The Little A’Le’Inn is a motel and restaurant located in Rachel, Nevada. It’s literally in the middle of nowhere and I’m not even sure if it has a traffic light.

I had the famous alien burger and homemade potato salad and it was more than enough to satisfy my hunger. The price was reasonable and the owner was very kind and friendly. Lunch was great.

I will be honest. It really is my love for empty highways with barely any cars around right in the middle of nowhere that drew me to drive this road. The experience was unforgettable. But it’s definitely not for everyone. The older I get the more I crave being away from it all. If you ever find yourself in Vegas and want to get away from the noise. I highly recommend it.

My Tips for this Trip:

1. Make sure you have a full tank of gas.
2. There are long stretches without signal. Make sure your car is in good condition before considering this trip.
3. Bring water and food.
4. Bring your camera.
5. If you’re lucky, you might even see an alien.

Thank you for reading my blog. Please feel free to comment. I would love to hear from you.

Please visit my Amazon site and check out my recommended gears.
Disclosure:Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure and Affiliate Disclosure.
By the way, I now have an official Amazon Page. Please check it out.

#AmazonInfluencer

Kindly add me on Instagram @roadsbeltravelled and twitter @belcharm

1. mkanyika says:

That is definitely a road I do not want to take. Well unless we have an entire fleet of vehicles and one of them to serve as the fuel pump… I guess the fact that it seems like a scary road to take is what got me intrigued that you took it. I almost feel like I have been there already.

Lol! Yeah I get you. I wouldn’t drive it at night alone for sure. But it was quite a fun experience 😊

2. This is one of my favorite drives. This is one of the many awesome places in rural Nevada.

It’s so peaceful and scenic! I love it 😊

1. If you are lucky, you can see wild horses.

3. I wish I had the money to travel this road like you did, alas Vienna, Austria is a bit too far away…

I’m sure there are many beautiful places where you are – some of the places I hike to are really just close to home. 😊

1. nothing extraterrestial though 🙂

You never know they are everywhere 😉

4. I drove from Melbourne to Darwin and back many years ago – much of which is empty highway and desert. A lot like what you describe but without the aliens – just kangaroos and wedge tailed eagles (and wedge tailed eagles eating road-kill ‘roos). I think you’d really like it – nothing but scrub and red dirt from horizon to horizon.

Yes I would definitely love it! Nothing beats the open road for me with kangaroos and eagles – that would be amazing! Thank you for sharing. Maybe someday I would get to visit…😊

5. I drove through this same area years ago. Thank you for the great photographs and descriptions. This part of the Nevada desert is surreal, but also peaceful and timeless. Indeed, it is like time slows down out there. This part of the world exists for people to get away from it all. It is as close to extraterrestrial living as we humans can find on this third planet from the sun.

Yes, I love how isolated it is and far from
      the city. You are right on how peaceful and calming it is to drive on the long stretch of road and gives us a chance to temporarily get away from it all. Thank you for your comment!

6. unsettled essence says:

Looks like fun. Makes me think of Roswell, NM. Ever been?

No, I haven’t been there yet but read all about it since I’m an Alien fanatic 😊 So it is definitely on my list!