A Glimpse of Yosemite

Yosemite is far closer to me than most, if not all, of the national parks I have visited and written about in my blog. I’ve heard about its beauty and what deterred me from visiting was the millions of people frequenting this park on a regular basis. It’s like going to Disneyland and I could never appreciate nature if it’s way too crowded.

However since Covid happened, they are limiting the number of people who could enter the park. You have to get a reservation. I was extremely excited to finally see what it had to offer. Unfortunately, I only had a day to see it and there was no abundance of waterfalls during the time I was there which was a major disappointment on my end.

I still made the most out of it and was able to hike Taft Point which is a short hike with absolutely stunning views. It’s only 2.2 miles round trip with barely any elevation gain only around 200 feet and an elevation of 7,700 feet.

Glacier Point is a scenic viewpoint. You can see the famous Half Dome from afar (see photos below). I was once invited to hike Half Dome but I backed out when I realized how tough it was and decided not to go. I should have done it because I was younger and far more athletic back then. It would have been quite an adventure.

Glacier Point Scenic Viewpoint
Amazing view of the Half Dome

The Swinging Bridge is a great place to relax, dip your feet in the water, and have a picnic. There are lots of picnic tables or you can just set up anywhere near the river. The Swinging Bridge doesn’t really swing it was replaced because the previous ones were repeatedly damaged by floods.

I was able to hit a few more short hiking trails along the way but I will not bore you with pictures of a trickle of waterfalls when I plan to go back sometime soon and explore some more. Hopefully, with gorgeous waterfall hikes as well.

Tips for this trip

1. Bring lots of water and food
  2. Make sure to plan your itinerary ahead of time. It’s a huge park.
  3. Get a reservation ahead of time. You won’t be able to enter the park without one.
  4. Bring a mask, hand sanitizer, and alcohol.
  5. Be aware of bears and all wildlife. It is a National Park.
  6. Don’t forget your camera!
  7. There are tons of hiking in the area so bring hiking poles or a hiking stick.
  8. Wear hiking shoes and bring a pair of water shoes if you’d like to go on a dip on the river or lake. It’s really rocky and could hurt your feet easily.
  9. Bring an extra pair of clothes and socks.

By the way, it’s Amazon Prime day today and tomorrow. Please check out the links below for Prime day deals valid only from October 13 to October 14, 2020.

Disclosure: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure and Affiliate Disclosure

You may visit my Amazon page directly: https://www.amazon.com/shop/roadsbeltravelled

Amazon Prime Day Deals Sports & Outdoors Link: https://amzn.to/3iU74dW

Amazon Prime Day Deals Camera & Photos Link: https://amzn.to/3dql0uY

Amazon Prime Day Deals under $25 Link: https://amzn.to/3lHIPlc

Thank you for taking time to read my post. I would love to hear your thoughts. Please feel free to comment below.

1. Jenae.K says:

Your trip is an inspiration! Can’t wait to hit the road myself!

Yes, it was really fun! I’m sure you are going to have great adventures as soon as you hit the road 😊

1. rubberboa123 says:

Bel, I have to apologize for my ineptness when it comes to responding to other people’s blogs. But you caught my attention, with your Yosemite Blog, being that I grew up with Yosemite in my backyard and always found some kind of adventure there. I agree 100%, it is crowded and it ain’t what it used to be (when I was a kid), but if you get off the beaten path, there is SO much to see and it still has a certain wild spirit. Yosemite is a big place with lots of hidden jewels to experience, but like most places, you have to spend a little time poking around to find the nuggets. But I relate. I spent years avoiding Grand Canyon, Glacier, Hawaii, Yellowstone, Machu Picchu, etc. But if you can get through the crowds, there is a reason why these places are so popular.

I totally agree. They are popular for a reason. I do find beauty everywhere I go when I explore. But there is something so inviting in the places unexplored and uninviting. The one that most people overlook and barely visit. I find that to be my most memorable experiences. 😊

2. Thank you for sharing. This is one of the many places I long to visit and your photos and words have only increased that desire.

I’m sure you would love it once you get to visit. It’s really gorgeous!

3. judeitakali says:

Wooooow, 😍😍. I want to go here too.

You definitely should visit! It’s gorgeous out there!

4. Gorgeous photos as always, Bel! A couple of decades have passed since my last trip to Yosemite, but it’s still just as beautiful. Of course, for me, some of it is still just as terrifying…but you KNEW that! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Thanks for sharing! ❀

Lol! But you still went and enjoyed so it wasn’t that terrifying right? 😊❀️ I’m glad you liked the photos! 😊

5. Neat-ish Meg says:

Beautiful photos! I’ve always wanted to see Yosemite, but so far I’ve only been to Yellowstone and places near OC/SD. I’d love to go back there one day to appreciate it as an adult instead of a young chick going through the usual cycles of teenage angst a la the 1990s grunge era. Yes.

That Half Dome at Yosemite is a trip and always reminds me of a jumbo-sized geode that’s been hacked in half whenever I see pictures of it. Sorry you only got one day though! Sheesh!

I remember spending a week in Utah exploring the mighty five and it still wasn’t enough! I wish I could just afford to live for months in each National Park!

Yellowstone is in my bucket list! I hope I get to visit it. I feel like I would enjoy that more than Yosemite just because I’ve read about it and seen so many beautiful pictures! I bet you still had loads of fun during the 1990s grunge era being a teen is tough but definitely unforgettable. 😊

6. pikachu1014 says:

Nice, I went hiking today!

Great! Where did you go?

1. pikachu1014 says:

To Willoughby state park

Wow. Beautiful hiking area. Lucky you! 😊

7. Rebecca says:

I haven’t gone back to Yosemite since 2003, but I still remember the sublime views of El Capitan and Half Dome from that trip. Your time there looks lovely as well, and I’m great you got to explore the beauty of California, my home state!

Yeah, those views are definitely breathtaking! I’m sure you still remember it like it was yeaterday. 😊

Yeah it definitely is a gorgeous state! I’m glad you have awesome memories of Yosemite as well. 😊

8. Your pictures are stunning! I’ve never been. Perhaps a road trip in my future.

Yes definitely! It’s beautiful out there 😊

9. kagould17 says:

We spent a couple of days in the area in 2010, when our son graduated from UC Berkeley. It was not too busy in May, but busy enough. I’m with you, seeing nature with a million tourists is not seeing nature. Great you got an outing. Stay well. Allan

Hi Allan! Glad you had great memories with your family in Yosemite. It’s really unforgettable. I really enjoyed it without the crowd I hope I get another chance soon!

10. I have been to Yosemite and hiked there many times. Absolutely beautiful place and thank you for the reminder!πŸ˜„β€

It’s definitely a popular destination because it’s so gorgeous! I’m glad the pictures brought back great memories for you! 😊

1. Thank you!πŸ˜„β€

Thank you as well for sharing!😊

11. buddy71 says:

only a day?! what a shame. i have been to yosemite many times and a day just wont due unless one lives close enough to visit frequently. i have been in early june, mid august and in novemeber. yes it is crowded. the best time was when i would stay days to a week or so as then you can take your time and the crowds are not an issue. lol i have hiked up the back side of half dome and it is a great hike but very long. have also been to the top of yosemite falls. it has been years since i have i been to yosemite. thanks for the views. i guess you were there very late in the year since the falls were a bit dry. i like being there in november. no crowds, the days are short and cool and none of the tourist things are open.

I know one day is not enough!! You are so right. I will definitely come back though. It’s amazing you were able to hike the half dome…that is difficult for sure but the views are spectacular I bet! November seems like a great time to go back. But the next time I go I will definitely take my time. Thanks for the tip and for sharing your experience there as well!

1. buddy71 says:

πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚

12. Yosemite is on my bucket list, Bel. I can’t wait to get there. What beautiful photos. I hope you’re doing well and getting out into nature more these days. Keep sharing your adventures. πŸ˜€

Thank you Diana! It was gorgeous but you have to make sure to not go during summer like I did because there are barely any waterfalls. I hope to be able to share more adventures.

1. That’s a great tip. We are officially retired and can’t wait to head out. (Next summer!) ❀

Yay! I wish I could retire too! Not next summer – best time is in Spring after the snow melts.

πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

13. 😲 Wow that are some big mountains and great photos!
    And yep, I also like to enjoy nature or things in general, when I am either alone or with someone who is like-minded. πŸ™‚

Thank you! For me, solo hiking is the best just because I can go on my own pace which is extremely slow and I can explore as much as I can in a day. 😊

14. Pit says:

Thanks for taking me with you by way of those gorgeous pictures.

You’re welcome! I’m glad you liked it 😊

15. It’s nice to see you back out and about in nature and your blog Bel. I loved Yosemite when I visited many years ago. The views and waterfalls were stunning along with hoards of people so I didn’t stay overnight.

Yeah there weren’t hoards of people but not much waterfalls. I hope I get to see them in this same setting! I really missed just being in the presence of big trees and just forgetting the real world as always.

1. Nature is a great healer for many of us.

It’s my only reprieve from reality nowadays 😊

3. Hopefully some time with friends or family.

Yeah definitely!