A Fun Weekend in Bass Lake

“We’ve got to live, no matter how many skies have fallen.”

– D. H. Lawrence

There’s something kind of eerie about lakes. I guess I could blame it on watching tons of thriller and horror movies with extremely huge crocodiles, man-eating piranhas, or people drowning and never being found again. I’ve also heard that it’s harder to swim in a lake than it is in an ocean. It’s safe to say that it’s not exactly my first choice when it comes to going on a trip.

My family ended up choosing Bass Lake as our destination. We rented a pontoon boat with a grill and spent the entire day on the lake. It was awesome. We also rented a canoe and a kayak. I didn’t really swim as much as I would if I were in a pool or the ocean. I mean, it was fun, but I was still a bit wary. The sun was shining and the soft breeze made the weather just perfect for different water activities as you can see below.

After this experience, I’m obviously looking forward to heading out to the lake again in the future. Maybe next time it would be great to try a speedboat or hop on a jet ski. I highly recommend that you should experience this for yourself if you haven’t tried it yet.

My tips for this trip:

1. Water shoes. Yes, the bottom of the lake hurts. It’s filled with rocks and sharp edges. I highly recommend Keen sandals.

Disclaimer: Please be aware I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you. Please read Amazon Affiliate Disclosure and Affiliate Disclosure

2. Bring lots of food and water. If you rent a boat with a grill like we did that’s even better.

3. Bring your camera.

4. Bring a waterproof dry bag especially for kayaking and canoeing. This saves your gadgets, wallets and other stuff from getting wet.

5. Have fun!

I hope you enjoyed this post. Kindly check out my Amazon page for all outdoor recommendations. https://www.amazon.com/shop/roadsbeltravelled #AmazonInfluencer

Kindly add me on Instagram @roadsbeltravelled and twitter @belcharm

Thank you for taking time to read my post. Please feel free to comment below. I would love to hear from you.

1. cindy knoke says:

I was here as a kid, catching big bullfrogs, and letting them go.

Those are the best memories 😊

2. This is definitely going to be a spot we visit! Place looks beautiful and very serene. Nothing like getting away for a bit to somewhere like that, even if you have to fight the old horror movie vibes! Also, thanks for liking our post about America’s Best Campground, I really appreciate it.

I’m sure you would love this place. It is quiet and gorgeous out there. I am definitely missing it already and just itching to go somewhere far away from civilization once again! 😊 Thanks for the comment.

1. If you ever find yourself in Kentucky, Land Between the Lakes was a great one we visited! The place is just….away from it all 😂

Lol! Then that’s the perfect place for me 😊👍 Thanks for the suggestion.

3. peri, poet. says:

Thank you for the lake-trip tips! This is Bass Lake near Yosemite? It is beautiful! Looks like the weather was perfect for your weekend on the lake, too!
    I like your tip about the water shoes (possibly good for lakes that are mucky on the bottom, as well as along some ocean shorelines with shell pieces and pebbles … ) and I also really appreciate your D.H. Lawrence quote at top; it is perfect for us these days! Thank you, Bel.
    Keep breathing-in the beauty : ) ~ Peri

Hi Peri! I appreciate your comment. Yes, this is Bass Lake near Yosemite. I don’t think I would have survived without the water shoes for sure. I’m happy you liked it 😊

4. usfman says:

Are you still blogging?

Yes! Sorry! I’m just delayed with my post. But I will for sure 😊

5. Stunning photographs Bel! Really enjoyed the beautiful post! Thanks for sharing 🌷

Thank you! Glad you liked it 😊

6. having good time on the lake and enjoying it and good photos

Definifely enjoyed it! Thank you 😊

7. Teresa says:

Great pictures!

8. dawntrest says:

Loved this!

9. Love reading your experience

10. Phil says:

Bass lake??? We’re neighbors! My dream board has “own a house at Bass lake” on it. 🍻

Wow. That’s awesome. I would love to own a lake house one day too 😊

11. F K Ontario says:

Thanks for your piece on lakes. Throughout my childhood, our family spent summer vacations on lakes, fishing, swimming, and sailing. Smaller lakes, especially in New England – and in coves remain calm with mirror surfaces great for swimming the crawl or breast-stroke. We used to sail on SailFishes, SunFishes, and small catfish boats. The SailFish constantly fell over and soaked us. So much fun. Thanks for the memories.

Sounds like an awesome time for you during your childhood. Glad I could bring back good memories! Thanks for sharing 😊

12. Yes, the bigger the lake, the more awe inspiring. Here in MN we have lots of lakes, but none more majestic than Lake Superior. Although it is not exactly “warm” – lol – on a sunny day, when the lake looks like a sea of crystal, or when “she” is crashing hard into the shoreline, it’s rare a person who can say the lake doesn’t have a “personality” of sorts.

I’ve seen Lake Superior in pictures. You are right about it being majestic. Lakes are beautiful and scary at the same time and has a personality that’s so different from the ocean…😊

13. 😁It looks beautiful there! I am glad you had fun.

Yes, it really is a beautiful place. Thank you 😊

14. As a child we lived between 4 lakes, and life was good. We fished summer and winter!! Life was good! In the summer my Dad would spread rock sale along the shore line of our swimmin’ hole to keep the blood suckers away.

Those are the best memories. Enjoying life and not worrying about anything. That’s the beauty of nature – it takes us to a safe and peaceful place. Nothing can compare. Thank you so much for sharing 🙏

15. arv! says:

So serene

16. Thank you for the tips. We are about to head on vacation to a lake and didn’t even think to bring water shoes and the waterproof camera. Now I will add those to my bag. Glad you had fun and keep sharing your awesome adventures.

Yes! It will help a lot for sure. Or you can just get a case for your camera. I’m sure you will have a great time 😊

1. I already have a waterproof camera from living in Hawaii for 6 years. I am so excited to go back to fresh water.

Wow. I can only imagine how hard it is to leave Hawaii. I love the ocean more than anything! 😊

3. I am starting to feel like it is my place of peace. I felt so much better when I went today. 💗

Nothing beats that feeling…😊❤️

17. usfman says:

Is that a volcano cone covered i forest I see at the rear of your lake picture? Pretty site.

I honestly have no idea if it is a volcano…😊 But it is a pretty site!

18. Looks amazing, Bel, like always! I especially love the water… and live in Tucson, where we have NONE. Go figure! 😀 😀 😀

Beautiful photos. 🙂

Thank you! No heights here! You will definitely love it.😊

19. KK says:

So interesting. Beautiful pics!!

20. judeitakali says:

Wow, such a beautiful place.

1. judeitakali says:

my pleasure.

21. I camped at Bass Lake as a base camp for trips into Yosemite. A bit far but ok. It is a beautiful lake.

It is definitely worth the drive 😊

22. Rebecca says:

I never heard of Bass Lake, and I had to Google where it is…to my surprise, it’s located in California, my home state! Granted, I’m from southern California, but I’ve been to Yosemite before. I’ll have to revisit that area to check out the lake; it looks stunning, and I can imagine it’s a stunner in the summer months!

Yes! You definitely should check it out. It’s beautiful out there.😊

23. thepensmight says:

You probably said, but where is Bass lake? I have family in Ohio who spent much time on a local lake. Pontoons and speedboats. Different uncles for each. I swim like cement shoe, but I’ve got to tell you, water skiing is a blast. Plus, your always wearing a life jacket, which I would think were a requirements for your boat rentals.

I’ve always wanted to try waterskiing. It looks like a lot of fun. I feel like I’d drown even with the life jacket….😂

24. I managed to get to an ocean once or twice a year growing up. Mostly just played in the surf, seeing if I could touch the bottom, maybe find a crab, and maybe not be pulled out to sea. Always there were warnings about riptides. Lakes were more for canoeing, I found, and that was fun. There was an old quarry filled with really cold water my parents sometimes took us to. There was a floating platform in the middle that we would swim to. It was always exciting to get there, and then lie down to dry off in the warm sun, bobbing on top of the water.
    BTW, if that is you in the photos, you have absolutely gorgeous hair.

Yeah riptides are scary. But I like walking on sand when I’m in the sea or ocean. It’s just so soft. Your memories seem amazing and fun! It’s great that your parents took you out to cool places. Thanks for sharing your experience! Those were good times!

25. buddy71 says:

you have been gone too long. since sea water is salty, a person is more buoyant than in fresh water. i dont care to go into the water at the beach as too many dangerous things are in ocean water. lol

I’m back now. And I have a couple of trips coming up that I’m excited to write about 😊 I’m not a strong swimmer which is one of the many reasons why it’s easier for me to swim in the ocean. I’m afraid of sharks and had a close encounter once but somehow the lake is still scarier for me.

1. buddy71 says:

i also am not a strong swimmer

I felt like my legs were being pulled down when swimming in the lake.😅

26. I’m delighted to see you out and about Bel, both online and out enjoying nature again. Playing on a lake sounds wonderful. I love water, but don’t know friends with boats. Enjoy! 🌊🚤

Hi, Brad! It’s been way too long I know. Despite me loving staying at home due to Covid…I still long for the outdoors. We actually just rented a boat for the day. It would be nicer if I had friends with a boat😊

1. Kudos for taking action. I tend to not want to spend money on entertainment.

I know. I didn’t do the spending. My family did 😂😂😂

27. Terry says:

Great post! I find swimming in a lake to be easier than the ocean, because usually, one isn’t contending with waves, and it’s nice not to have salt water in your eyes 😊

I should really stop watching scary movies so I can swim longer in the lake. You’re right about not having to deal with huge waves and salt water for sure. Someday I will not be as scared to swim in the lake. 😅

28. I’ve wanted to do a houseboat vacation someday, but pontoons and rafts look like great fun, Bel. Now that the pandemic is winding down, I hope to start exploring on you shoes… hiking boots. Shasta and Yosemite are first on the list. 🙂 You’ve inspired me.

Hi Diana! A houseboat vacation sounds even better. I’m glad you’re going to grab your hiking boots and start exploring Yosemite and Shasta. It’s going to be fun for sure. Glad to have inspired you especially now that things seem to be turning positive…🙏❤️

1. What a relief to get out and about in nature. I hope you’re doing well and have big plans for the summer.

Yes! I may even go back to Oregon and hopefully Washinton. I love it there.

29. Meg says: